Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Desert Legend, Home of the Super Sized Doberman. Yuck. No thanks.

Do you need assistance finding a reputable breeder?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dogs that are over-sized and are built out of standard will have more pressure on their joints and deteriorate much faster than a dog that is built correctly. They will not be able to run as far, play as long, or preform nearly as well. To my understanding, doing any sort of high impact/intense sport such as schutzhund or agility (etc) is actually dangerous and could cause damage because they are not built correctly.

On top of that, the doberman is a rather unhealthy breed. DCM is a major killer and claims around/over 50% of all dobermans. These are health conditions that can take a dog at a very young age. Reputable breeders fully health test their dogs in order to give the puppies that they produce the best possible chance at a long and healthy life. This breeder has NO mention of health testing on this site. To me, a breeding without health testing is just criminal. It shows, to me, that this breeder cannot possibly care about their puppies or their puppy buyers - an unhealthy dog will cost thousands upon thousands in vet bills.

I have no personal experience with this breeder but I personally would never give my money to them.

Edit: Also, for the same price that they charge (and even a little less depending on your area) you can get a puppy from structurally sound and proven parents who have been fully health tested.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I have spoken with a guy at a dog park before who only purchases his dobes from them. He said they all dropped dead and one had seizures but he still buys from there...

That's my only experience relating to them but there are general rules of thumb that I adhere to when breeder shopping...just like dog food, everyone has their opinions but in general there are big things to avoid, and a big thing is breeders not breeding to standard and gloating about over sized dogs. Take a look at military and police dogs, agility dogs....the dogs that excel at those jobs are not 150 pounds.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Besides all of the things that make these folks a bad choice, like no health testing, etc. I would suggest really taking a look at these supposed "oversize" dogs. You can tell by the photos if you are experienced looking at dobes that this claim is pure crap. I would love to take a measuring tape and a scale to those dogs because I am willing to bet money they do not live up to the sizes these folks are advertising. Unless they are measuring at the top of the head and stepping on the scale!

Reactions: River and J.Jones

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,821 Posts
Desert Legend has been discussed here many times. I would suggest you do a search on them to gather opinions about the operation they run.

·
Registered
98 Posts
.....I would suggest really taking a look at these supposed "oversize" dogs. You can tell by the photos if you are experienced looking at dobes that this claim is pure crap. I would love to take a measuring tape and a scale to those dogs because I am willing to bet money they do not live up to the sizes these folks are advertising. Unless they are measuring at the top of the head and stepping on the scale!
Thats what I thought....... "Legend" is 31" and 115#??? I call BS...
It's pretty crazy that a $100 website can take precedents over thousands in research/showing/titling/health testing/etc....
But then again, they certainly know more about it then most of the DT folks, after all they are "The #1 breeder of Doberman Pinschers in the United States", it says so right on their website!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.