Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing suggestions for toys that can withstand long hours of doberplay.
Effy has no interest in kongs or the other hard rubber toys. She lives to play tug and loves her rope toys, squeaky and stuffy toys more than anything, but I've recently had to start taking these all away from her within what seems like minutes after buying them because they are so easily shredded..So any particular ropes, squeaky or stuffed toys that have lived longer for people whose dogs are not the most gentle with their toys?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Effy has no interest in kongs or the other hard rubber toys. She lives to play tug and loves her rope toys, squeaky and stuffy toys more than anything, but I've recently had to start taking these all away from her within what seems like minutes after buying them because they are so easily shredded..So any particular ropes, squeaky or stuffed toys that have lived longer for people whose dogs are not the most gentle with their toys?
I no longer give any rope toys, stuffed toys or anything small to dogs over about 4 months.

Many puppies ago I realized that as soon as teething was immanent (approximately 4 months) stuffed toys, especially those with squeakers would be eviscerated quickly and for many dogs the stuffing and/or squeakers eaten.

10 years ago I took all of the rope toys and threw them out after a friends Dobe bitch had two surgeries (the first one didn't find all of the perforations on the mesenteric side of the intestine) for a linear inclusion blockage. These are much more common in cats than dogs but dogs can and do pull strings off ropes and swallow them and a worst case scenario is that because of intestinal action if there are enough strings in the gut and if you and your dog are unlucky you end up with a bunch of stringy material knitting itself together in the gut and sawing holes in the intestines as the stuff passes through if one end gets stuck.

If you are going to have string toys around, my recommendation is to only allow them if you and the dog are playing tug and not leave them for the dog to play with if he's unattended.

What my dogs get for toys and for things for recreational chewing are all BIG--much harder for them to chew bits off and swallow. And they are all tough.

It includes things like big Nylabones, big Kongs (I found that my dogs who ignored kongs started playing with them and chewing on them when they had no stuffies or small squeaky toys to play with). I've had fairly good luck with many of the JW toys--ISqueak balls and bones (large only), the big MegaLast bears and balls, and a variety of toys made by Kong as well as a variety of toys made by Nylabone in their Dura Chew line

And they get raw bones (and only under my supervision) occasionally as a big treat.

Good luck--I learned that every time I bought and tried out a new toy with the dogs I had to keep a close eye on them--some toys which looked ultra sturdy turned out not to be--the Mammoth TireBiter line turned out to be a huge disappointment--none of them held up for more than a couple of days.

·
Registered
382 Posts
West Paw Design toys are the best ones I've found - they are made from an extremely tough rubber. https://www.westpawdesign.com/dogs/dog-toys/zogoflex-dog-toys
Dakota had a phase where she would shred every single toy we got her, and these were the only ones she couldn't destroy. They are a bit pricey but they're guaranteed, so if your pup destroys them you'll get a free replacement. I figure it's worth it to spend a bit more on toys that last, than to keep buying cheaper ones that get ripped apart in minutes. They float too, which is a bonus if your dog likes water.

I've also had good luck with the chuck-it balls. They don't seem all that durable to look at them but I have a few that have been around for years, well loved and still in good shape. They squish down when the dog bites on them, but don't crack or split the way some toys do. Dakota and Dallas both love to chew on these but have yet to shred one.

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
Agree with dobebug about rope toys. As much fun as they are, they're just not worth the risk.

My boy has a box of toys he has free access to and then he has special toys, which only I have access to. I rotate the toys in his toy box, so he doesn't get too bored with any of them. They include various Nylabones and Kong brand toys (the one you can stuff with food and also Kong balls and squeaky toys. Of course, they no longer squeak, but they are at least pretty durable). There's also a Chuck-It ball in there, but he only likes that one because he stole it from a friend of his.

Toys only I have access to include Frisbees, tugs, and any other high-value toys that he could break or shred if left to his own devices. He's only allowed to play with these toys when he's playing with me. If he runs off with one of these, I calmly take it away from him and play time is over. He understands these toys only "work" when I am involved.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Do any come with guarantees?i don't mind spending the money but Gretchen seems to ignore the expensive sturdier toys bc they're kind of boring. Do any come with a "if your dog refuses to play with this $30. Toy you get your money back?

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
I encourage all toy play because I want to build toy drive (dock diving), especially tug. I wouldn't deprive a dog of that unless they have a pica issue.

Fire hose rope toys are great for that. Jolly balls are awesome. Jasmine has access to all her toys but her training toys. Really, any toy is destructible. It just depends how your dog plays. Jasmine LOVES stuffies and ripping them to shreds. However; I bought this huge stuffie and after she took it apart some, I took her coveted ball and hid it inside. Then I tell her to find it. She finds it, but then she has to get it out. �� Finding games that keep their minds busy too also helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies!

She almost never gets to have the rope toys when she's just playing by herself, but I would hate to take them away altogether as tug with a rope is by far her favorite training reward.
However I probably could try replacing these with the durable stuffed toys recommended

·
K9 Stamp Art
77 Posts
I love tugs toys! But I only use them supervised. Chuck it balls are great and I do hear the Jolly Ball is fantastic, I still have to get one of those!

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Rope toys, particularly rope tugs aren't a problem if you and the dog are involved. Rope toys become a potential BIG danger for the dog who is left to play with them alone.

See post #5 in this thread.

There are toys that are reserved for training--and are only fun (only come out) when I'm playing with and rewarding the dog.

There are toys (and because they were and still are given out lavishly at agility trials) which are absolutely unsuitable for an adult Doberman (stuffed, squeakers and small)--my cats get to play with those (and I have to watch the cats like a hawk because they think it's funny to give one of those kinds of toys to a dog and watch them tear it up and try to eat the squeaker). I have dozens of those--periodically I put a bunch in a bag and give them to a breeder who has a litter of little puppies who aren't yet big enough to shred and eat those kinds of toys.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
^^ Our girls didn't like hard toys either.

One of the best toys I've made is - take a ladies black nylon knee high sock, and insert a pro tennis ball, down the open end...before you tie a knot on the open end.
- cheap Walmart tennis balls crack & split quickly / so but pro balls, they last
The "elastic ball socky" is very cheap, and can last a long time:
- play tug with it
- stretchy sock material adds much fun & ball is partially squeezable, to lure the dobe into extended play
Orange road hockey ball, is also good & very long lasting...99 cents at local Tractor Supply.

I never puppy proof a house of toys, to me their all appropriate.
Rather, I just spend the first few months, religiously training puppy (24/7) to respect some of its more fragile toys.
- I use the word Ah-Ah-Ah to stop defelting a tennis ball or taking the eye's or limbs off a new stuffy

Toy play comes with some Rules & Expectations here.
- I also train pup to rip bark of a fallen tree branch & spit out all the bark bits
- plastic squeakies once removed eventually, dog will spit out on their own / leaving it on the floor
The foundation of limited toy destruction, keeps all of our furniture safe (in puppy stage) & avoids risk of future blockage $$.

Baby Whale is a full day old here, and still in perfect shape / Kelly carries it around to greet family & took her new Baby to bed last night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts