Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BellaBoo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old European Doberman. I imported her from Altobello in Serbia. Since her arrival in Colorado, she has had trouble with incontinence. I noticed that she would urinate and defecate in her crate when in a deep sleep. I had originally attributed this to her not being housebroken. At 4 months old, and only 13 days of being in my home, her vet diagnosed her with urinary incontinence and poor anal reflexes. At 9 months old, she developed a closed pyometra and had to have an emergency hysterectomy. I believe that the incontinence may have caused the pyometra.

She is now 2 and she constantly drips urine while walking. I have tried Proin, but this made her aggressive and weak. We began Incurin, but have had to consistently increase the dose. She is now on the highest dose and it is still not controlled. Her breeder has not given any help on this issue, nor does he offer to replace her. I am at a loss here and scared we may have to euthanize her. My kids are devastated. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone ever heard of this happening to a puppy?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I've heard of so many things affecting Altobello puppies that nothing really would surprise me anymore. They're a commercial breeder and are the type of breeder we encourage puppy buyers to avoid.

Unfortunately, I don't know what would help. I wish you the best possible outcome, here. :(

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah, Altobello is no good. I've heard European breeders, like them, send unknowing Americans their worst dogs, I'm not sure if that's true. I do know there are many other issues that run in their lines. Sorry I can't give you any answers for your girl. I would suggest in the future to buy your dobe from an American show breeder so you have their support for the life of your dobe, and their dogs are almost always healthier as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts