Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some guidance prior to our vet visit next week...

It seems my 15 month old spayed female has been having issues keeping her bladder under control while she is sleeping. There are little to no accidents in the house outside of while she is sound asleep. She has no idea that this is occurring until she wakes up in a wet spot.

Some history:

I waited until a good 4 months after her first heat cycle to spay her and there were no issues during spaying. She did have a urinary tract infection during her heat cycle and was treated for that issue. However, this current behavior is nothing like the urinary tract infection behavior.

Any ideas on what her ailment might be?

Here are a few photos of Zara:

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
Try researching spay incontinence, it is not uncommon in the breed. I'd also suggest a UA done via cystocentesis (and possibly a culture and sensitivity pending the results).

·
Hunter's Dad
2 Posts
re: incontinence issue

I had a female lady that I had the exact same issue with. Unfortunately she was on Proin for the rest of her life. Her sister had the exact same issue at the exact same age. Our girl, Lexi, needed 1 pill twice a day. Her sister, Tessa, needed only one per day. Both girls were prone to UTI for all their lives. Recommendation is to add a little cranberry to their water once/twice per week. The proin worked well, but accidents will continue to happen from time to time. We really never found a definitive reason why this occurred, but some articles we read hinted to spaying to early in their lives. The pill was given as a treat from hand and kept the issue at bay until the UTI, then it was antibiotics for 60 days.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah is incontient and has been probably since before she was a yr old. Towards the end of this past summer I finally broke down and put her on pronin. She takes half a 50mg tablet 2x's a day, morning and night. I really hate giving her medicine and had just been putting diapers on her but this summer she was flooding us out and we were running the risk of ruining our couch. Today is our first try at corn silk. I didnt give her pronin last night and gave a 425mg corn silk pill this morning. I will give her one a day for now and within a few days I should know if it is working or not. When I forget to give her pronin for a few days she will start leaking again.

I would just rule out a UTI also. In the begining I believe I ran about 3 tests on her.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kyrah is incontient and has been probably since before she was a yr old. Towards the end of this past summer I finally broke down and put her on pronin. She takes half a 50mg tablet 2x's a day, morning and night. I really hate giving her medicine and had just been putting diapers on her but this summer she was flooding us out and we were running the risk of ruining our couch. Today is our first try at corn silk. I didnt give her pronin last night and gave a 425mg corn silk pill this morning. I will give her one a day for now and within a few days I should know if it is working or not. When I forget to give her pronin for a few days she will start leaking again.

I would just rule out a UTI also. In the begining I believe I ran about 3 tests on her.
Keep us updated on that, will you? I'd really like to get Bonnie off Proin. If it works I'd like to give it a try.

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Looking for some guidance prior to our vet visit next week...

It seems my 15 month old spayed female has been having issues keeping her bladder under control while she is sleeping. There are little to no accidents in the house outside of while she is sound asleep. She has no idea that this is occurring until she wakes up in a wet spot.

Some history:

I waited until a good 4 months after her first heat cycle to spay her and there were no issues during spaying. She did have a urinary tract infection during her heat cycle and was treated for that issue. However, this current behavior is nothing like the urinary tract infection behavior.

Any ideas on what her ailment might be?

Here are a few photos of Zara:
I use this on my Portuguese Podengo Medio who woke up in literal puddles and got UTIs so bad from spay incontinence that it looked like bloody pudding coming out.

Estriol Capsule | Wedgewood Pet Rx

She took it every day for a couple weeks and now it's a 'whenever she kinda leaks' dosage, maybe 1 a month or less.

I've tried all the herbal stuff.

Nothing works like this.

She just overall improved and acts 3 years younger than her sister who doesn't take it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts