Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SNAKE BITE.

I appreciate my timing may be a little off in some folks estimations, regarding the tragic loss of Kyra to a Water Moccasin bite but this horrible event got me thinking. How do you know if your dog has been bitten, what should you do if you suspect it has. I know the obvious is rush him to the vets, but in the interim what should one do?

I live in an area where snakes are very common, in total we have 13 snakes in Spain, 5 of which are venomous, 3 considered deadly if you are small, young, elderly, have health issues or are say a dog.

Just this week we have come across 3 vipers, one tiny, one medium sized and one pretty damn big. The first was on the road leading down to the village, the second was by my gate as we re-entered the compound, the third was slithering through the dog door onto the terrace. All were of great interest to Toby, all could have bitten him and I need advice as to what to do if this happens.

I also thought maybe others might use this post to ask other such questions.

(Mods if this post is better suited to Doberman Health please move it there, thanks)

·
Registered
866 Posts
With as stoic as these Dobes can be when pain/injury is involved, I don't know the answer other than always have eyes on the dog and keep him out of any snake prone area..?
It is something I worry about with mine all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Here in the USA their is a school out in AZ I believe that trains dogs to stay away from snakes saw it on the Internet.Since you are in Spain might ask around for trainers that have trained dogs to leave snakes alone. Might even email the school here and ask for advice since you live in another country since you have seen all those snakes might just have to keep any other dogs on lead until you come up with a plan Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts