Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in College Station, Tx and I'm picking up my doberman next week. He will be 6 weeks and I am planning on having him med cropped at 10 weeks. Does that sound right? Does anyone know of any talented vets semi close to me? I'm a college student, so I don't have a lot of cash. My budget is around $300. So I really need a great deal on this one. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
First, Welcome to DT.

6 weeks is WAY TOO YOUNG for the pup to leave it's Mother and Siblings. Obviously you did not purchase from a reputable breeder, as any reputable breeder WILL NOT let a puppy go home at 6 weeks. In addition, good breeders have the ears cropped BEFORE the puppy goes to its new home.

Secondly, Dobermans are not a healthy breed and if you are strapped for cash, you are likely to have financial difficulties, as this breed is an expensive breed to own.

I would recommend that you do more research so that you know what you are getting into and then find a reputable breeder that health tests the parents, crops ears, and will be a resource for you throughout the life of your dog.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Geez, you might want to reconsider.
As avianantics said 6 weeks is way to early to leave mom and litter mates. A Doby pup takes tons of attention mine is with me almost 24/7 its about like having an infant which I know all about having 5 kids of my own. Also, if your having trouble spending $300 on ear cropping what about all the other vet trips and as mentioned their other health issues? What if the ears get infected? Do you plan on posting yourself? Where is the dog going to live can you spend nearly all day with it? Is there a place to excercise? Dobermans are concidered a thoroughbred in the dog world and also need LOADS of activity and are very clingy to their mom and dad. These are just a few questions you need to answer honestly before thinking of getting one. I waited 6 years to make sure the timing was right. ;)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
If you don't have a lot of cash I would personally budget for potential health issues and preventive health screening rather than spend your money on an unnecessary cosmetic procedure. The crop is one fee, you will also have to spend money on the posting supplies for x number of months until the ears stand.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Please make sure you have the money for this breed. They can have a lot of health issues and even in the beginning getting the rest of their shots and all the supplies they need can be costly. My very first vet bill was over $300 and that was for shots, a check up, frontline, etc. the next was a little over $100 for a shot and heart worm prevention medicine. Obviously depending on what vet you go to will determine how much it is but you still need to keep that in mind. Owning a dog is not cheap especially owning a Doberman who is a breed known for health problems so please make sure you can afford to have one. You don't want to get in a situation where you can no longer care for him or her.

I won't even get into the whole 6 weeks is too young cause everyone else has already mentioned that but it is way too young.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Oh my, where to get ears cropped is the last of your worries with a doberman pup. A doberman puppy is very time consuming for the FIRST YEAR of their life. Please wait till you graduate, so you can do your best by your pup

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

I'm sure you're not getting the responses that you were looking for but everyone here is right.

I am also a college student so I know where your at. I had wanted a dog ever since I was a kid and finally got one after graduating. This breed is EXPENSIVE. Cost of the dog aside, during my fist two months of owning Dreizehn I felt like I was bleeding money. There was supplies, good quality food, monthly flea/tick/heartworm preventative, and the vet visits (the new puppy check-up and two more trips for the puppy shots) - this all cost WELL over $300. Now, I love my dog and I"ll do anything for him to make sutre that he gets the best of care. However, I'm still a college student so while my dog gets exceptional care I often have meals that are just cereal or simple pasta, if you know what I mean. Dogs are expensive (but worth it).

Not only that (money) but puppies are RIDICULOUSLY time consuming. I don't know what your major is but a young doberman (and I mean puppyhood until at two years or so) can be quite a handfull. I know that summer is coming up but the chances of a puppy that young being absolutely perfect by the time school starts up again are slim to none. My dog was a pretty awesome puppy (laid back, not a terror) and I still found him to be ridiculously stressful and time-consuming.

As for cropping, there are a great many vets who can and will crop but very few who do it well. A crop is something that you have to stare at for the life of the dog so doing it cheap is rarely the best option.

Last, as it's been said before 6 weeks is WAY too young for the pup to leave it's mother which makes us think that your breeder is questionable. What health testing has been done on the parent's? As it's been said, this breed is riddled with health issues so breeding untested dogs is almost criminal. What titles do they have? My boy's parents (and their parents, etc) have conformation titles because a dog that is not built well will generally break down much faster and not be able to preform as well as a dog that is structurally sound. That being said, my boy is not a show dog, he is "just a pet." Did the breeder that you've been talking to have a purpose in breeding that wasn't "PUPPIES!" or simply about money? Reputable breeders breed with a purpose and a goal in mind. They breed their best dogs in hopes to improve their lines and the gene-pool.

There is so much I could say but I'll leave it at that. Also, you should check out this.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
To answer the OP's question...there are only 2 vets in Texas that I would ever recommend. Yes, 2 in the whole state. One in Frisco and one in Katy. I have personally used the one in Katy a number of times.

Neither of these vets will be "a great deal" in terms of price, but are very experienced with Doberman crops.

Most importantly, a good crop is priceless. You get what you pay for.

I agree with the others, ear cropping was probably the cheapest expense in comparison to the lifetime of vet visits, vaccs, occassional accidents/minor injuries, BLOAT, echo/holter, meds, ear supplies, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a college student but I also do have caring parents that I'm prettyyy sure would give me a financial hand if needed for the dog. At what age would y'all suggest to pick up the dog? If the parents haven't been tested prior to this am I out of luck with knowing anything or finding out anything about there health? At what age would y'all recommend me picking up this pup?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I am a college student but I also do have caring parents that I'm prettyyy sure would give me a financial hand if needed for the dog. At what age would y'all suggest to pick up the dog? If the parents haven't been tested prior to this am I out of luck with knowing anything or finding out anything about there health? At what age would y'all recommend me picking up this pup?
IMO I wouldn't rely on my parents to take care of MY dog and my parents are caring too but I chose to get a dog therefore it is my responsibility not theirs. What happens if you need money and they say no or they don't have the money to help you? Have you talked to your parents about this? Saying you're "pretty sure" they'll help you isn't a definite YES they will help you. Keep in mind I'm 22 so I get where you're coming from but also have a full time job and live on my own. I made sure I had the money myself too before I even thought about getting a dog.

No earlier then 8 weeks is when puppies SHOULD go home and you could ask the breeder but my guesses are they aren't going to be very honest with you so you'll have to get tests on your dog to find out more which again costs money. More people will chime in about the health testing who know more then I do.

I say find a reputable breeder or rescue and when you have your own money to pay for the dog and can give it the proper care.

I would be curious to know how much this "breeder" was selling their pups for if you don't have a high budget.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I have to add to this....

My parents are extremely caring and although they did support part of my horse's board and vet bills, they insist on me being an adult and paying for the rest.

When I moved out, it was clear that they would only be paying my insurance, car insurance, health bills, and emergencies. They give me money every now and then, but they in no way shape or form told me to go out and get a dog. Which I obviously did!! Because of this, although they love my dog, they would not understand why Zeus needed hip dysplasia surgery or special skin treatments/allergy treatments, and they would NOT pay for this stuff. They also would NOT pay for me to take Zeus to a cardiologist to screen for DCM, treat DCM, etc.

Zeus is 'fairly' low maintenance, and he still costs me around $200 month not including training. This is just for his thyroid, occasional allergy stuff, supplements, and food. This does not even include his vet bills for these things. I too thought 'well I'm sure my parents will help me if something crazy happened', but considering they do not view their dogs the same way I do, the stuff I would need money for, they would probably recommend me giving him away or putting him down. They made it clear that I did NOT need a dog, and therefore they would not be paying for it.

Thought I would add, my parents are both remarried with my dad being a doctor, and my stepdad being a director of operations for a global corporation, so it is not like they do not have the money to spare, it is the fact that it is MY dog, MY choices, and MY responsibility that keeps them from helping out with Zeus's vet bills.

ETA: Now that I have the dog, they are less likely to give me money for little things, because the response usually is "well how much is that dog costing you?" In which I politely respond "NVM then!" and go on with my day.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have to add to this....

My parents are extremely caring and although they did support part of my horse's board and vet bills, they insist on me being an adult and paying for the rest.

When I moved out, it was clear that they would only be paying my insurance, car insurance, health bills, and emergencies. They give me money every now and then, but they in no way shape or form told me to go out and get a dog. Which I obviously did!! Because of this, although they love my dog, they would not understand why Zeus needed hip dysplasia surgery or special skin treatments/allergy treatments, and they would NOT pay for this stuff. They also would NOT pay for me to take Zeus to a cardiologist to screen for DCM, treat DCM, etc.

Zeus is 'fairly' low maintenance, and he still costs me around $200 month not including training. This is just for his thyroid, occasional allergy stuff, supplements, and food. This does not even include his vet bills for these things. I too thought 'well I'm sure my parents will help me if something crazy happened', but considering they do not view their dogs the same way I do, the stuff I would need money for, they would probably recommend me giving him away or putting him down. They made it clear that I did NOT need a dog, and therefore they would not be paying for it.

Thought I would add, my parents are both remarried with my dad being a doctor, and my stepdad being a director of operations for a global corporation, so it is not like they do not have the money to spare, it is the fact that it is MY dog, MY choices, and MY responsibility that keeps them from helping out with Zeus's vet bills.

You said it much better then me!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Honestly relying on your parents?
I had parents that also could easily have helped me with a dog when I was in my twenties but, instead I decided not to get a dog as I didn't want to burden them with MY responsibilities. You have to think of the dogs well being. Will YOU have enough time for it? It also seems obvious you don't have the financial means to care for a Doby. What happens if your parents get upset and don't want the dog in their home? Then there's the breeder who I would pass on if it were me. Do yourself and the dog a favor and wait till YOU alone can care for a Doby.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
In most states, it is actually illegal to sell a puppy prior to eight weeks of age.

The fact that this breeder is willing--and will likely tell you the internet is full of "fanatics," and it really doesn't matter--is ALL that knowledgeable dog folks need to know, in order to know this is NOT a good, ethical breeder.

You should poke around on here and read some of the horror shows about folks left by bad breeders to crop their own pups' ears, and handle all the aftercare.

So, do you honestly still want to pick up "this" pup?

Because, really, none of this bodes well, for the pup, or for you.

Why stress everyone out? Why set things up for failure?

Why put into motion a chain of events that will certainly result in giving this crap breeder incentive to breed more litter$?

That will likely land your pup in a shelter, or on Craigslist, when it hits Doberteens and is no longer a fun, happy novelty. Oh, I know you say "NO WAY" in your mind now, reading that, but trust me, working in rescue, I've heard a pure ton of "No Way" people crying about dumping their dog off, because they can't handle it anymore.

I gotta tell ya, I got decades and decades of horse and dog experience, am very used to hardship and training--and I raised a red male several years ago that had me standing in the cold winter rain outside at 3:30ish in the morning, crying and sobbing that "Puppies are the Spawn of SATAN!" :p

This is not a breed for a very busy person, which a college student is, by definition. (Assuming you're actually doing your collegiate work, hehe.)

Just curious OP......why do you want a doberman.
The reality of living with a Doberman may be much different than what you're picturing.

Go volunteer at a breed-specific rescue and see if you actually want to take on all the activity and training this breed requires.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I am thinking he/she is going to get the pup anyway.

My dog Cash's breeder is in Texas and I know his ears were cropped there. While it's not my favorite type of crop it's not bad. Rather you get a half decent crop than using a vet that doesn't have a clue. If you are interested, PM me and I will find out for you.

Hopefully you change your mind though and find a breeder not a greeder.

Reactions: LindaH and brw1982

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I would honestly back out of purchasing this puppy. Check out Rhapsodydobes.com and contact them. They are a great breeder in Austin. A phone call would be best. She will be realistic and steer you in the right direction. If now is not the best time then please don't rush it. Owning a dog is a choice and should be a responsible one.

Ps thank you for jumping on here with open ears.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts