Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Sorry for the long post but here's my question/story.

I regularly took my girl for walks/runs around where I live. She loved it, and was well behaved. There were some dogs/strangers around and she never reacted.

However, in the fall on one of our last hikes before the weather got too cold, I took her to our local state park and she became very excited in the environment and was kind of protective of me when other people were around. Barking, and growling at people passing. It wasn't one of her more aggressive barks or growls, it was more of like "hey, stay away" or "you're too close" rather then a "I'm going to kill you". She also started to pull heavily on the leash, which was never a problem before.

I guess at the park there was much more commotion, and many more people & dogs coming and going compared to when I take her out in my neighborhood for walks/runs. Could that be why she reacted this way?

We haven't been back since then due to the cold weather and snow. But as you can imagine, the people at the park were kind of terrified of her, I can imagine so, a 90 lb doberman pulling on a leash, barking and growling. With spring right around the corner I would like to start taking her out again to the park. How can I get her to calm down in this kind of environment?

Also, what would you recommend for extra security and control leash wise? I'd rather be prepared if she started to act up again.

·
Got mutt?
13,731 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
How old is she?

Dobermans are not the best breed to bring into a dog park (or any dog IMO). I wouldnt take her into anymore public dog parks.

What socialization have you done with her? Any foundation training?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I would have the same questions as DogsR4life. Also where are you from? If you don't have a positive based trainer I would look for one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts