Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I had to have my precious boxer bitch put to sleep and my world has surely collapsed.

In her life she had 3 sets of owners. The first set kept her in a small cage, leashed to one side and bred her till she was so exhausted she lost her last litter completely. She was then given to another family, who bullied and neglected her and eventually when they tired of her fed her 20 Tamazipan in order to kill her, my son rescued her and we became the proud protectors of a fantastic Boxer who had love to spare and then some.
We had our ups and downs, she could be stubborn and turn a deaf ear but her wiggling bottom made you forgive any transgression immediately it started up.
She was a friend to my son, his hot water bottle on cold nights, his constant shadow.
Four days ago she came to me in distress, her head was shaking violently so much so she couldnt walk in a straight line. We rushed her to the vet but as usual she became her usual happy self and he couldnt see anything wrong. He asked if it were to happen again for us to bring her in immediately, it happened the next day and my son captured it on video. The vet diagnosed Ataxia and took blood to carry out tests. Her sugar level was too low and so we went home thinking maybe it was going to be okay. But tests revealed nothing that could explain the cause of the Ataxia so we had to wait for further tests to be carried out.
Yesterday she had 4 attacks, each lasting over 30 minutes, but sugar and honey and carbohydrates seem to bring her round out of them. The vet said he was still waiting for the results of the tests but said he thought it might be a tumour on her pancreas that was causing the problem, we prayed it wasnt so.
This morning she woke, happy, wiggling her bottom and lolling her tongue out at us as if to say she was okay. My son took her for a walk and she trotted beside him as if she were fine. Later on after he had gotten back he noticed she were falling over, so we rushed her to the vets, by the time we got her there she couldnt walk, in fact she could barely stand and the vet said there was nothing he could do. I had to make the hardest decision and my son ran out in tears.
I stayed with her, at the end she turned to me and snuffled as the anaesthetic took hold and she slipped away. She tried to comfort me even as she passed away. My heart is broken and my son is beyond comfort.
Please say a little prayer for my dear SASHA, may she find heaven to be a long beach on which she can run and play till kingdom come.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
My thought and prayers go out to you in this time of deep saddness. Bless you for being there for her.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking this girl into your home and giving her the chance to have the wonderful life that all dogs deserve. Hugs to you and your son.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So sorry for your loss. You guys saved her, so I am sure she was well aware how loved she was. Hugs to you and your son. How lucky you both were to experience such a bond.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. You gave Sasha the life she deserved.

RIP Sasha

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family. Sasha had a beautiful life with you.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
You gave Sasha the life she deserved and she will be eternally grateful to you. Thank you for rescuing her. I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
We all hurt for you as well. So very sorry Sasha is gone. Thank you for being the kind of owner we all strive to be and giving Sasha a happy life while she lived in your home. Hugs to your son.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

RIP Sasha

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Very sorry for your loss of Sasha. Prayers for your family.

She will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

All Creatures Great and Small, The Lord God Made Them All.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So sorry to hear about Sasha, may you get the tests back to know, but that does not bring a loved one back. Hopefully her and Jake are up on the bridge playing and waiting for us to be with them once again.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Run free at the bridge Sasha.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts