Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that I *just* registered, but I've been lurking this forum for about 2 years now. Most recently when Naxton, my last dobe died from bloat, and it was from here that I found the recomendation for a rescue to adopt Axel from.

I just recently broke up with my fiancee and had to move back home with my parents. My little brother happens to be allergic to dogs, so I can't bring Axel here.

I'm at a loss for what to do. A friend suggested trying to find him a foster home for the next few months while I try to buy a new house.

Axel is 11 months old. He's an unneutered red dobe with natural ears. He's a happy little guy with a great personality. We did a private rehome through a rescue with him when he was 8 months old, and he's come a long way. He knows his basic commands now, and learned to be respectful very quickly. He's amazing with children, and is respectful of the cats that live here, although every once in a while he gets curious and gets the ol'one two from them.

Like I said, these are extremely unforseen circumstances, and I'm completely willing to pay for all his needs and vet bills, I just can't justify(or afford) $2-400 in kennel charges a month when I know I'm going to be here for at least 3.

If you or anyone you know would be able to foster him, please please please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm desparate at this point, and am now thinking that if this isn't possible I may have to give him away entirely which would completely destroy me, I just lost Nax two months ago, I don't think I could handle losing Axel too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realize that I *just* registered, but I've been lurking this forum for about 2 years now. Most recently when Naxton, my last dobe died from bloat, and it was from here that I found the recomendation for a rescue to adopt Axel from.

I just recently broke up with my fiancee and had to move back home with my parents. My little brother happens to be allergic to dogs, so I can't bring Axel here.

I'm at a loss for what to do. A friend suggested trying to find him a foster home for the next few months while I try to buy a new house.

Axel is 11 months old. He's an unneutered red dobe with natural ears. He's a happy little guy with a great personality. We did a private rehome through a rescue with him when he was 8 months old, and he's come a long way. He knows his basic commands now, and learned to be respectful very quickly. He's amazing with children, and is respectful of the cats that live here, although every once in a while he gets curious and gets the ol'one two from them.

Like I said, these are extremely unforseen circumstances, and I'm completely willing to pay for all his needs and vet bills, I just can't justify(or afford) $2-400 in kennel charges a month when I know I'm going to be here for at least 3.

If you or anyone you know would be able to foster him, please please please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm desparate at this point, and am now thinking that if this isn't possible I may have to give him away entirely which would completely destroy me, I just lost Nax two months ago, I don't think I could handle losing Axel too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
you must feel so lost...
I cant help you because i have a boy and would rather not test the theory of male-male agression...
hopefully you will find someone who can help...
where are you located?

·
Registered
756 Posts
you must feel so lost...
I cant help you because i have a boy and would rather not test the theory of male-male agression...
hopefully you will find someone who can help...
where are you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in the Kitchener/Waterloo area, but at this point I'm willing to drive him out as far as Quebec.

·
Registered
756 Posts
We have lots of members in the ontario and quebec area !
Let me ask around and see if i can be of any help. (I'm in Montreal)

Would you be willing to neuter Axel prior to placing him ?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This is a tough situation, and as I am in Kitchener myself, I would love to help out in some way, I just don't know how.

I have a 1 year intact bitch that shows, and it would be impossible to keep them apart as I'm not always home all the time.

There are others on the board that are here in Kitchener as well, and I'm hoping some of them chime in and offer suggestions.

Do you have to live at home, or is this the only choice you have to get "back on your feet" so to speak?

I'm surprised that a private rehome through a rescue could be done without having him neutered. In any event, PM me and we'll see what can be done, and if there is any way that I can help you out.

I may have some other tricks, or options, up my sleeve. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks like she is in Kitchener/Waterloo, ON.

Quite a few members are in that general area I beleive. I hope you find someone to help out!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hmmmm, I don't know about this idea. It is a good one, but I wonder if you might not loose him altogether. Just be very careful about it. I would get him neutered before letting anyone have him.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
PM me to discuss further options, and provide me with a number where I can call you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm willing to get him neutered, but I need to find him a home ASAP. It's just not fair for him to be bouncing around from place to place everyday, and to be perfectly honest I can't afford a kennel for that long. It's just not feesable. He deserves to be somewhere where he's being cared for properly and at the present moment I can't offer him that, because of unforseen events.

Had I known this is where I would be right now, I wouldn't have gotten him, I love him, which is why I'm looking to do this. If in the end the situation ends up where it's better for everyone for him to stay there permanently it's definitely something I would consider.

I just want what's best for him. He's a great dog.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Poor Axel. I would take him in a heart beat ... but I already have 2 (one spayed female and one intact male). I know of people who may be willing to take him but the problem is if they take him ... it may be hard for them to give Axel up later on. For Axel's sake, I think you have to make a decision on whether you are able to take care of him ... if not, then give him to someone who can without condition that you may take him back when your life settles because it will not be fair to the person who takes him in ... bond with him ... gives him a forever home ... only to have all that taken away. I know this will be a hard decision but it is a decision that I believe you will have to make. If you would like me to see if I can find someone who would like to adopt Axel ... please let me know.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
How is he in a crate? Send me a PM if your interested. Im north of Toronto and will be working full time soon but it could work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How is he in a crate? Send me a PM if your interested. Im north of Toronto and will be working full time soon but it could work.

His previous owners had him in a crate when they were gone for the day, he was in there about 12 hours at a time before I adopted him. To be honest, he hasn't had much alone time in the last few months. A few hours here and there, with free run of the house. He went from one extreme to another, so he'll either be completely fine with it, or totally against it. I doubt there will be a middle ground, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
One option that I was hoping to help her with has fallen through.

Jennie, if Mastermind is available to assist, that sounds like a great option and he's close enough to you still.

However, we can still investigate other options we discussed, should there not be another, more viable solution.

·
Quattro and Apex's Velcro
1,386 Posts
:(
I wish I could help. I'm east of Toronto. I have an altered male and he has actually been an exception to the male on male aggression rule with Dobes. That being said, he has never had another one living in the house with him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts