Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this question might seem a little dumb but this is the only place I feel where I can ask it without the anti crop/dock people attacking me.

If you import a puppy from a country with these bans can the breeder put in their contract that you cannot crop the ears? I know tails have to be done around newborn. What is the latest age a crop can be done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
Crops are generally done between 8 and 12 weeks; in a typical dobe pup who has developed well on schedule, the earlier the better within that time range. If you wait much longer than 12 weeks old, you run a real risk that his ears will never stand--and then you've wasted your time and money for a crop and flop--natural ears will look much better than a funky crop job.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you buy a dog from out of the country, what are the odds they will come to the US and try to sue you to enforce the contract?

There is a larger issue, though. In many of the European countries, the breeder cannot legally export the dog younger than 16 weeks. So if you are importing the puppy younger, the breeder may be shipping the dog illegally and I have heard of a few being seized.

You may want to re-think importing a dog that may be against both the breeders contract and the exporting laws of the country you are importing from.

You may save yourself a lot of heartache and find a nice puppy that suits you here in the US/North America

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you buy a dog from out of the country, what are the odds they will come to the US and try to sue you to enforce the contract?

There is a larger issue, though. In many of the European countries, the breeder cannot legally export the dog younger than 16 weeks. So if you are importing the puppy younger, the breeder may be shipping the dog illegally and I have heard of a few being seized.

You may want to re-think importing a dog that may be against both the breeders contract and the exporting laws of the country you are importing from.

You may save yourself a lot of heartache and find a nice puppy that suits you here in the US/North America

Thanks. It was just something I thought that wasn’t necessarily geared towards Dobermans specifically. It was a question for another breed on our radar. Pretty sure we will go the Doberman route though. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts