Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering bying a doberman from a foreign breeder because I live in Norway and the quality of breeders is somewhat limited. However, I have some worries, and I was hoping that someone could help me. :laugh:

I want to show the dog, as well as do obedience and agility and possibly other dog sports. This would be my first dobie, but I have some experience with the breed. I dog sit my cousins doberman about twice a month, and she is the sweetest dog, but she was never properly trained. She knows the basics, but she never listens unless you have treats, and she is 4 y.o. They say it is because she was too old when they got her, so it was harder to train her. I think she was about 5 months. I was wondering if that is a problem more of you have experienced. The reason I'm asking is because puppies can't be imported before they are 16 weeks, and I am afraid that I will lose the bonding period with the puppy, and that it will be harder to train. I have had a labradoodle that I have trained, so I have some experience, but I really want to invest in this dog so I can go to shows and competitions. Should I still get a better dog from abroad, or get one from Norway?
I am sorry that this is a very long post, but I hope you will help me anyway :wink2:

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
i have a friend who lives in Oslo...i can ask her where she got her dog. i BELIEVE she got him from a breeder in the country.

ETA: http://www.nobelline.net/

i understand they health test to Norway's standards. they're the only breeder i know of in Norway, but they'd be a decent place to start your search.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts