Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I took Elza to the nearby ATM where is the small individual structure with the glass doors for safety and privacy. As I saw a woman was using it, I commanded Elza to sit and we waited for our turn outside.
Then the woman came out with her smile looking at the good behaviour Elza, BUT suddenly Elza barked at her and tried to jump her. Elza was in the sit position but jumping was super quick. Luckily Elza didn't touch her at all since I pulled her back.
The woman did nothing wrong and I felt really bad for her. I apologized right away.
After withdrawing some money, I turned around and noticed that there was the next person waiting outside. I held the leash very very short and got out carefully, but again, Elza tried to jump her. I had to apologize again too, and I'm upset to Elza. Those women's fearful faces still stick my mind. I'm quite shocked too.

She rarely barks at people (exceptions are to the couriers as they're always running around) on the street. Most of neighbors believe that Elza is temperate and she is, basically. That's why I'm embarrassed why she did such things within ten minutes. That's the first and worst record.
Elza is not protective (for persons) and aggressive types.

What do you think what caused Elza to do such actions? Any precautions? I don't want to give up her taking to the ATM.
Only I can think of is the structure of the ATM. There's a possibility that she might feel it is our property like our actual home.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
did the two people show any fear? If they didn't maybe they didn't show it but felt it and maybe she reacted to that. Or maybe it was just the first lady that had fear and she did that to the second person because you were just preparing from the first person and maybe she picked up on that.

The only time Odin did something like that was when people showed or expressed fear towards him.

Reactions: Elzajpn

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was going to suggest the eye contact thing. It freaks Gus out. Maybe she was having an off day? It's happened to my guy before, some days he lets anyone pet him and give him butt rubs but other days he just growls when people even look at him. I don't know, but sorry you had to go through that

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your insights. I thought about the situations again using your guesses and advices:

For the first lady, she unintentionally stared Elza. Elza didn't recognize that there was the lady inside the structure and was maybe surprised the lady suddenly opened the door staring her and approached to us! OK, this case is reasonable to understand. Just I feel sorry for the lady because she was smiling.

Audrey, your guess sounds right! For the second lady, as you thought I was too prepared not to make another mistake, but Elza picked up my tense.

I was going to suggest the eye contact thing. It freaks Gus out. Maybe she was having an off day? It's happened to my guy before, some days he lets anyone pet him and give him butt rubs but other days he just growls when people even look at him. I don't know, but sorry you had to go through that
I'm OK now, thanks:) (But I received the nasty PM from an unknown member...)
For the eye contact thing, I didn't know it well until I started to live with Elza. There are many things to learn!
In this afternoon walk, the elementary school kids ran towards us yelling "Can I pet her!?"
I used your guys advice! - Sure, but stop running and come to her side first (in order not to excite Elza to jump kids!!). Elza was calm and happy;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts