Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For roughly the past two weeks, Kaiser has been repeatedly pooping in his crate. It's almost a daily thing, with the exception of one or two days in the past fourteen. He doesn't even bark to be let out or anything. He just goes. When he's out with us, he barks and asks to go out, so it doesn't seem to be a housetraining issue. However, when he is crated, he seems to have no qualms about going. He doesn't seem to like having it in there - he jams it up against the edge of the tray and sits/lays as far away as possible - but he still goes. I've had the divider out of his crate since about Christmastime, but I replaced it in hopes of discouraging the soiling. It has been ineffective thus far, and I feel bad jamming him into such a tiny space. I take him out regularly all throughout the day and at normal times, and he just doesn't go. He pees, and goes back up onto the porch or just stands in the yard with his nose in the air. I don't know if this is season related or something - maybe all the new smells are distracting him from his potty time? I don't know. I have no idea what to think.

I'm getting really exasperated. Anyone know what I could do or what's going on?

BTW: His stool has been solid up until tonight, but the food we buy seems to have changed something, so I wasn't surprised to see that it's runny today/tonight. Every other time, it's been healthy, normal-sized poop. So, I don't think it's health related. But, if you think it is, by all means, let me know!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
apart from a vet check to ensure all is ok...I'd be insisting he stays out side until he poops (supervised) and also be upping the amount of outdoor exercise time. If he doesn't go before or during a long walk...he stays outside after the walk until he goes.

suddenly pooping in the crate is a strong message that something about his situation is getting to him.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
It is so much fun cleaning poo out of a crate @3am. BTDT
I would try hard to time his meals around when he's most likely to go and make sure he goes out, barring some sort of runny poo digestive problem- which would be a whole 'other matter.
Not sure how helpful that was :/

Curious what the outcome is...as I've never had problems with housebreaking so far *knocks on wood*.
/crates also until *reliable* about not destroying things

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I agree let him stay out until he's done his business.........
My female will walk around and then row around in the grass. She will get up and then go behind our Avocado tree and do her business. She also is smelling the wind and chasing birds in the sky.........Let us know how it's going....

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What did you clean the crate with? Sometimes, if there are traces of the smell, it encourages them to poop/pee there again. I heard the best way to get rid of the scent is to clean with vinegar mixed with water.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I would take him to be checked out - I had issues with Rogan pooping in his crate and in hindsight realize it wasn't behavioral but due to the tumors on his organs. I don't want to panic you or anything but I think it warrants blood work and a thourough check up.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to thank everyone for all their responses. I was sick all last week, so he wasn't getting to exercise and play as much as usual. I think that may have been the issue - he seems to be fine now. He did this once before and I was sick then, too. I guess he gets unhappy having me home and not spending time with him (which isn't entirely fair to him) and expresses his distress that way?

I'm still going to get him to the vet soon. He's due for his annual pretty directly here anyway.

Again, thanks everyone!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
glad things have improved in the poopin' in the crate thing.

these dogs are very sensitive to our moods for sure.

years ago when i was showing my dogs and they got a little off track with their regular voiding habits, i would occasionally 'match' one if i knew they had not pooped yet and where going into the ring soon.

matching is when you put the sulphered end of a match....well you know where, :) , and they usually want to 'poop' it out right away, which causes them to pass any stools built up too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts