Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friends of ours invited us to go out on the boat last weekend, so Rowan and his buddy could go swimming. He has never been on a boat before, and has never actually swam. He likes the water though, so I was excited to see how he would do. I'll let the photos tell the story. ::lol::

We're on a BOAT!

Yeah...that's right...just livin' the dream...

Then we anchored and got suited up

And let the dogs go for a "swim"

Which is a term I use lightly since it mostly looked like this:

Until he finally figured out he could stand..

"Look Ma, no paws!"

Note the lab of course with barely so much as a splash...then Rowan...frantically flailing, trying to chase down/cling on to the nearest human for dear life.

But by the end of the day....

Bahahaha...who am I kidding, he's a doberman folks! He actually enjoyed the water, but had no idea how to swim...his butt went down, the front legs went straight out in front and he was like a hurricane coming through. But aside from the bruises and scratches from him clutching onto me and practically ripping my bathing suit off, we had a blast. And he actually LOVED being on the boat and feeling the wind blow in his face.

Just in case those pics weren't enough...a short video of his first jump into the water:

He was not afraid one bit to go in, but he sure was acting before thinking and regretting it later! I'm such a mean mommy for laughing and taking video. :roflmao:

Hope you enjoy the pics/vid half as much as I did watching it all in person.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
ah, I've seen that before with Flirt. Was he able to walk in? She does way better if she can walk in. But even at 5, every year once a year at least we go in with her. She also does better if she's holding a stick. It forces her to keep her butt down. She will take any dog or human down if she panics so we have to be careful with her. At lakes, etc. she wears a life jacket. At the river where it isnt' deep and humans can walk way out, I let her run free but ALWAYS supervised.

Oh, just saw the video. I swear I have that SAME video :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, I've seen that before with Flirt. Was he able to walk in? She does way better if she can walk in. But even at 5, every year once a year at least we go in with her. She also does better if she's holding a stick. It forces her to keep her butt down. She will take any dog or human down if she panics so we have to be careful with her. At lakes, etc. she wears a life jacket. At the river where it isnt' deep and humans can walk way out, I let her run free but ALWAYS supervised.

Oh, just saw the video. I swear I have that SAME video :)
LOL--Rowan would be less embarrassed to know he's not alone. ;)

At that particular spot he couldn't walk in, but usually when we've been places where he can he just goes in up to his belly and splashes around, doesn't actually swim. I didn't try the stick though, thats a good idea. And I was def glad to have the life jacket. We stayed where us humans could reach because he definitely could have drown someone!

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I used to have a photo of her stepping on my one of my Vizslas and the Vizsla going under. She almost took hubby out and he had a jacket on. He had to swim away, let her get close to the dock and we hauled her back in. YET she still goes in!

She once sunk to the bottom of a pool too. My friend and I were going to teach her to swim. her BC leapt in off the deep end and we were at the shallow end. Dumb a** Flirt went in right after him and just sunk! Thankfully my friend is a good swimmer and Flirt just clung to her until she got to the surface. Then got out and almost did it again and I gave up with pools!

I just posted pics on a another thread of her swimming and it's funny but my Vizslas won't get near her when she swims!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She once sunk to the bottom of a pool too. My friend and I were going to teach her to swim. her BC leapt in off the deep end and we were at the shallow end. Dumb a** Flirt went in right after him and just sunk!
I literally just LOL'd at this ^^^

Major points for being tough! I hope Rowan wasn't traumatized, but judging by his continued interest in going toward the edge of the boat after, I highly doubt he will. We'll have to keep working on it. Until then, he may have to stick to this...

·
Registered
731 Posts
That made my day. Poor guy. None of my dobies can swim, and only my first one liked the rain.

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,628 Posts
Aww....I had a good laugh at your pics and commentary. We just got a boat this year and Coco has been getting used to it. She has a life jacket which is helping her immensely as she panics when she tries to "swim". I totally know the bruises and scratches and the fact that she could drown everyone around her lol. A few weekends ago she learned to swim by herself with the life jacket on and actually jumped off the boat 3 times on her own. I was exhausted running through the water trying to catch her as I worry she will try to cling onto anyone who is around and take them down. :butfly:

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Great pics & video...I can see how the toenails can scratch, with all the wailing in the water.
- happy day, for all

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
Great pics, loved them and the video! Don't tel him I laughed out loud...more than 3 times!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm impressed! A dobie that didn't actually melt when he got wet. Been there, had the bruises and scratches to prove it. Great pictures and laughed way too hard with the video!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aww....I had a good laugh at your pics and commentary. We just got a boat this year and Coco has been getting used to it. She has a life jacket which is helping her immensely as she panics when she tries to "swim". I totally know the bruises and scratches and the fact that she could drown everyone around her lol. A few weekends ago she learned to swim by herself with the life jacket on and actually jumped off the boat 3 times on her own. I was exhausted running through the water trying to catch her as I worry she will try to cling onto anyone who is around and take them down. :butfly:
Hopefully with more practice she will get used to it. I was glad we were the only ones really in the area, but when he started to chase my friend I was laughing so hard I almost peed. Until he caught her and started to get on top of her! Good thing we could easily stand.

Reactions: Coco Loco

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great pics, loved them and the video! Don't tel him I laughed out loud...more than 3 times!
Ha ha your secret is safe with me. We laughed over and over replaying it in our minds and on the video...I'm glad it wasn't only funny in one of those "you had to be there" kind of ways.:lol2:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha!! loved the pics and the video. Prime looked like a candle when he first started to swim too.
ha ha well then that gives me some hope! I think if he could stay in the water until he finally calmed down (without drowning someone) he would start to figure it out!

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,628 Posts
Hopefully with more practice she will get used to it. I was glad we were the only ones really in the area, but when he started to chase my friend I was laughing so hard I almost peed. Until he caught her and started to get on top of her! Good thing we could easily stand.
Yes I see improvements already!! It is funny when they chase you in the water lol. Coco also likes for me to hold her in the water like she is a baby. She is calm and relaxed then. Its a workout though hoisting them out of the water isn`t it!! :butfly:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm impressed! A dobie that didn't actually melt when he got wet. Been there, had the bruises and scratches to prove it. Great pictures and laughed way too hard with the video!
He REALLY wanted to go in...I didn't even tell him to. I just don't think he knew what was going to happen once he did!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I see improvements already!! It is funny when they chase you in the water lol. Coco also likes for me to hold her in the water like she is a baby. She is calm and relaxed then. Its a workout though hoisting them out of the water isn`t it!! :butfly:
Luckily the boys did all the hoisting! And the life jacket helped a bit too, but yeah...80+lbs of soaking wet, flailing dobe...not easy to maneuver.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,628 Posts
Luckily the boys did all the hoisting! And the life jacket helped a bit too, but yeah...80+lbs of soaking wet, flailing dobe...not easy to maneuver.
Hmmm....I must be boating with all the wrong boys because whenever I need to hoist Coco out the boys are all busy with their beverages!! I`m going to be ripped by the end of the summer lol. :butfly:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts