Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well kinda....i have a deposit on a 4week old all black male. First things first, WHEN IS THE BEST TIME FOR THE PUPPY TO GET HIS EARS CROPPED!!?....He will have 1st & 2nd shots, dewormed, and tail docked when i get him & he is an AKC pup with papers on both purebred parents. Also how does the paperwork work?? What should the lady be giving me because "he has all his papers". Also what should i lookout for in making sure he's healthy? thanks & i'll be thankful for any advice!
:thanx:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well kinda....i have a deposit on a 4week old all black male. First things first, WHEN IS THE BEST TIME FOR THE PUPPY TO GET HIS EARS CROPPED!!?....He will have 1st & 2nd shots, dewormed, and tail docked when i get him & he is an AKC pup with papers on both purebred parents. Also how does the paperwork work?? What should the lady be giving me because "he has all his papers". Also what should i lookout for in making sure he's healthy? thanks & i'll be thankful for any advice!
:thanx:

Congrats on the pup! His ears should be done by the breeder, so I've heard and should be on the mendl before you even take him home. There's a website where you can see the health records of his parents, saying they've had the proper health testing done, but someone else will have to link it for you, still learning all of this myself.

It kind of sounds like you have a byb on your hands, since they're letting the pup go without doing the crop, and stressing more that he has all his papers then any of the parent's titles or health screenings. IE 'OMG purebred papers' does not mean 'OMG healthy/wellbred'

How old before they let you take him home?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lady isnt a breeder, she has 2 purebred dobermans with papers and they mated i guess...they did the tail & are doing shots, i'll definately bring it up with her though. i'm from MA and they are selling them for $1000ea. does that sound like a decent price for him? i'm new to this breed, i'm getting him as just a pet & to be firm with strangers near are house. so any harsh comments anybody has its ok, it'll help me learn!! haha

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the pup! His ears should be done by the breeder, so I've heard and should be on the mendl before you even take him home. There's a website where you can see the health records of his parents, saying they've had the proper health testing done, but someone else will have to link it for you, still learning all of this myself.

It kind of sounds like you have a byb on your hands, since they're letting the pup go without doing the crop, and stressing more that he has all his papers then any of the parent's titles or health screenings. IE 'OMG purebred papers' does not mean 'OMG healthy/wellbred'

How old before they let you take him home?
good point!! i'll have to check with her, and she said 6-8weeks but i'm keeping him there til the 8th so he has 1st & 2nd shots done

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I agree with sinister, also our breed standard states that dogs should have sharply defined rust markings- is your breeder intentionally breeding for this fault?

To answer your question, many reputable breeders crop at 7 weeks- before the puppy is sent home to his new family, with enough time for the ears to heal. New owners shouldn't be allowed to deal with something like freshly cropped ears, they could easily cause permenant damage by posting poorly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much does ear cropping cost? i think military crop is a perfect size. not too big, not too small

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
The lady isnt a breeder, she has 2 purebred dobermans with papers and they mated i guess...they did the tail & are doing shots, i'll definately bring it up with her though. i'm from MA and they are selling them for $1000ea. does that sound like a decent price for him? i'm new to this breed, i'm getting him as just a pet & to be firm with strangers near are house. so any harsh comments anybody has its ok, it'll help me learn!! haha
I'm glad you've come to this forum :)

Are you aware that the Dobermann breed is plagued with hereditary health issues? Anyone breeding should have health testing done to make sure their dogs are not carrying and passing down these horrible things.

When I say health test, I don't mean vetting. There should be OFA hips, thyroid, holstering and echos for the heart, and for vwd which is a bleeding disorder they can have. Oh! And Cerf for their eyes!

Do you know know if this lady did anything like this? Does she show her dogs or compete in any venues?

If she doesn't I would seriously reconsider purchasing from her. From what you say, she sounds like byb (back yard breeder)

A puppy coming from a reputable breeder will be anywhere from $1500-2000 - this includes crop and dock! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts

1000 is very expensive to pay for a puppy from someone who is not a breeder, and hasn't taken the time and effort to extensively health-test her dobermans. (If she has, that's wonderful! Just going by what you've said/not said so far). Seems expensive to me for pet quality too, from non-titled parents.

Basically it just sounds like someone who managed to get hold of two dobes and wanted to make money off selling some pups.

Very glad you want to wait for at least 8 weeks though. :) I cringe every time I hear of a puppy being yanked from their mom and home at 5-6 weeks old..

Don't know cropping prices.. I've heard anywhere from 150-300.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
If it was an accidental litter I can't imagine that any health testing was done so there is NO REASON for such a high price! Reputable breeders can spend upwards of $10,000 preparing for a litter, which is how puppies cost as much as they do. I don't believe for a moment that an accidental litter had OFA hips and elbows, eyes CERF'd, thyroid, heart holter and echo... Those are just a few. She should only be charging enough to make back what she spent on the litter, she shouldn't be making money off of her dogs! Back yard breeders and puppy millers make money off their animals- not ethical breeders.

Edit: while I typed that I totally forgot that the puppy wasn't cropped, that is an absolutely ridiculous price if they're not even cropped (even with a crop it would be too much to be honest.)

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
How much does ear cropping cost? i think military crop is a perfect size. not too big, not too small
For reference never ever ever do a military crop on a Dobe. Juno (my dog, see picture below) has a medium crop. I love it. Its critical that you find a good crop vet if you stick with this "breeder".. You have to live with an ugly crop for a lifetime.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Great things have been said here. I imagine you've grown quite attached to your future puppy but please do some research into the Health section here about the horrors that can happen to dogs from parents that haven't been tested. The woman you've given your deposit IS a breeder since she has aided two dogs in bringing puppies into this world. It doesn't mean she's a good breeder. For $1000 - $1200 you can get a puppy from titled and fully tested parents with the ears already cropped.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree that 1000 seems quite expensive for a non-tested/proven pup. You can get a pup from a reputable breeder with all of the health testing done, lifetime breeder support, health guarantee as well as cropped and docked for about 1500. Around here, you can expect to pay about 500 for cropping.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
That is an absolutely ABSURD price!! Why wouldnt you save an extra $500 and find a reputable breeder who will also include the price of cropping in that $1500-2000 range. Crazy crazy crazy to be considering this purchase, if you put down a deposit, just run away. Good luck finding a nice puppy! Cant wait to see your next thread telling us how you found a reputable, ETHICAL breeder who agreed to sell you a puppy! Good luck in your search!

·
SUP dog
8 Posts
I have experience with dobies and ear cropping. I did not want my new pups ears cropped by the person that does her litter. I'm taking my new guy to Dr Schaffer in Texas. She does a wonderful job. Everyone is right though, a good breeder would normally have them done for you. I'm also picking up my puppy a little early 7 weeks. I can do the shots at the vet clinic I work at. Of course these are outside the norm. I just wanted him home earlier so I could introduce him to all his new furry friends at the proper young age and begin clicker training.

My advice is do a little more research. If you are willing to spend $1000 on a new puppy you might be able to find a reputable breeder. Ear crops can cost anywhere from $350-$650 depending on vet and follow up visits.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like i made a mistake, i've always had pits & golden retrievers!! i didnt kno about all this bull****. i'm just gonna stick it out & hope for the best at this point, if its uhealthy she would be at fault because the ad clearly says "AKC healthy puppies" so i should be covered....

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
you could sail a ship through that sort of guarantee it's so wide! :lol:

the other point to consider is that giving people like this your hard earned cash only encourages them to breed again for more profit.

but back to your own wellbeing....time and time again we hear of BYB frequently becomming uncontactable by phone email or carrier pidgeon when something does go wrong...you'd be better off rescuing as it's the same odds, except the rescues are always there to back you up and help you out. ...and it's a heck of a lot less $

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Looks like i made a mistake, i've always had pits & golden retrievers!! i didnt kno about all this bull****. i'm just gonna stick it out & hope for the best at this point, if its uhealthy she would be at fault because the ad clearly says "AKC healthy puppies" so i should be covered....
So you're covered when your pup dies in your arms from DCM at the age of 3 because the breeder had no knowledge of lines and longevity? That's long past any puppy lemon law and you'll have no recourse. PLEASE run far from this breeder. Eat the deposit and consider an ETHICAL breeder instead. Please do not go through the heartbreak of having your beloved pet die in your arms far too young because you were willing to stick it out.

Some people say that SOMEONE has to buy these puppies. They even consider it rescuing. IT IS NOT rescuing... it's enabling the breeder and perpetuating the destruction of the dobermann breed.

Please make an informed decision and back out NOW.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I knew nothing about BYB's when I got Ripley. Nothing about health testing, and figured getting her $650 and undecided about cropping was fine. Well we did crop which was $350+ because by the time I drove her an hour and a half to a vet that did do cropping, came back to get her, and went three more times for posting an ethical breeder would not have been much more $.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts