Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To night Buddy did really well at obedience class,then as we were leaving GB was arriving she had to walk right past me so I said hello. GB is one of the head members of the obedience club has been for about a 100 years.She was telling male Dobes do not get their brains till they are about 4 years old she always has Herding breeds with allot of OTCH's. I told her everyone has been telling me 2 years old, gee I sure hope it is 2 years old.
Oh well never thought she liked me much anyway I'm just happy Buddy is doing well in class.
Patches Mom

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I swear Cleopatra died a 9 1/2 year old puppy, but a well behaved one. I had my daughter when Cleo was about 10 months old and by then she was still a puppy and playful but no longer in the wreck the world stage. Mansen was about 9-10 months old when we got him and I think he was just happy to have a home and didn't want to do anything to ruin the first good thing to happen to him. So, as far as males go, I'm clueless and hoping she's totally wrong about the 4 years comment.

I've also heard two years BUT with Jordan being 21 weeks now I see much improvement and maturity already with his training and behavior. So what, he'll be a puppy at 4. The biggest thing for me is the mouthing, and I know he won't be teething forever.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I think mental maturity depends on the lines of the dog. In my case, my boy did start acting more mature until 3-4 yrs old!! His father was the same way.
Yup, 3-4 is normal too for brains, my male's came when he was over 3. 2 years old may be rushing it a bit! :)

Reactions: Patches Mom

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Dang, I was wishing for 2 also :) haha. Nah, Rommel's a pretty good boy. As stated above, I think it really depends on the dog. I think that training will help also.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Well, I'd rather live with an immature male Doberman than those herding breeds anyday. They can have their OTCH - all I want are qualifying scores - LOL!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Training centers are sooo much fun. It is amazing how many people, trainers (I use that loosely) included are afraid of even dobe puppies. Don't let them get you down, they aren't worth it. Be happy with what your dog does and enjoy your time together. It's all about having fun!!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had an obedience class with Harley that was chock full of Border Collies and Shetland Sheep Dogs. Dang, those dogs seemed to LIVE for commands, as in "Do this for the 201st time in a row? Sure, let me at it!!" Harley was at the bottom of the class, only ahead of a Golden, and everyone who knows him thinks he is incredibly well trained. I'm still amazed at how well those Borders and Shelties minded their owners' commands. They seemed to pick things up so quickly. If I had one of those dogs, I wouldn't mind at all.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'm sorry, I think I missed it. Exactly how many dobies has she lived with or raised?

ZERO????

Oh that is what I thougt because anyone who has ever had a dobie would not make that statement. :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I'm sorry, I think I missed it. Exactly how many dobies has she lived with or raised?

ZERO????

Oh that is what I thougt because anyone who has ever had a dobie would not make that statement. :)
Great point!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a Border Collie before my Dobe, and let me tell you what you get in trainability you pay for in maintenance. Think of it like dating a really hot girl, that you have to tell she's not fat constantly.

My Dobe is just as smart, just more suspicious. Most of the time I think he's like "What's in it for me?"

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Males have brains?????? Really????? Not been my experience in the human department anyway!!!! :D

Don't listen to that idiot.....you know what you have, no need to prove anything to anyone...we are the lucky few that really know what the breed is about!

Carol

·
Registered
696 Posts
Won't it be fun proving her old ass wrong? lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts