Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Doberman is driving me nuts. I'm so desperate to the point I might have to give him up for adoption. I don't have money for training classes. I have tried stimulating his mind and getting him excessive. Nothing I do seems to work. He's extremely stubborn and destructive. It would break my heart letting him go. But im pulling my hair out trying to get him to listen. Someone help

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
He's testing you and is at that age right now where he wants to see how much he can get away with. How much training have you given him? You need to be firm with him and you need to find. Way to get him into classes. There's many times Diesel drives me nuts (he's much younger) but we push through and en he's back to being my sweet pup who listens. You really need to continue training and lots and lots and LOTS of excersise.

I ask this in a very nice way but why did you get a puppy if you couldn't afford something simple like classes? Vet bills are much more expensive if anything were to happen to your pup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The places I've looked at we're 65 an hour and or 350 for 6 weeks which is better but originally I never had to put my dogs into training. I have a Siberian husky who is well mannered and well behaved an I did all te training. Apollo just won't listen. No matter how many times. Also, it was probably a ba idea getting a breed I never worked with before. I don't want to give up. I just don't know what to do anymore :(

·
Registered
939 Posts
IMO, this is the most ridiculous thing to give up your dog for. Dogs are forever- if you can't commit, don't get one. SO many dogs are dumped at the shelter for this.. sad.

However, since I'd like to see one less dog in the shelter, I'm going to toss a few things out there for you. I did all of my training without classes.. Have you looked into Kikopup on youtube? She has absolutely wonderful videos that make a ton of sense that are easy to incorporate and teach. You might be interpreting confusion as 'stubborn'. Perhaps he doesn't know clearly what you're asking for? I'd bring it all back to square one. Teach him to sit like you would an 8wk old puppy... luring, and praising party when he does it. Build off of that! If he knows what you want and how to make you happy- he'll do it for you. On the other side, are you asking for too much too soon? Asking him for a perfect recall or to execute a command you haven't worked on much? To make commands bomb-proof you need to work on them in many different places, situations, and over a long period of time. I know I'm all over the place- but I'm just trying to troubleshoot for you.

As far as the being destructive... thats all on you. Crate him if you cannot watch him, dog-proof your house. If you notice him chewing on something inappropriate, give hiim a sharp AAHTT! to get his attention and then show him a toy that's his to chew on- play with him for a few minutes!

What are you doing for exercise? Tossing a toy in the house isn't going to cut it for a Doberman. For example, we go on a 4 mile hike everyday and end it at a large field with a long game of fetch. If we skip this, she's an unholy terror at night! zooming around, acting out (jumping on us, chewing on things she knows she isn't allowed, etc) because she's bored and has all this excess energy.

OP, I really hope you can find a solution. Your boy DESERVES you to give 110% of this- don't give up on him.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
This is terribly sad, but unfortunately is why so many dogs become orphans. What you need to realize is that you are his mom and he DEPENDS on you. Not only for food, shelter, love, etc, but to teach him how to be a good boy. Be patient and understanding. You can NOT expect him to know what you want from him without teaching him anything? He doesnt speak, and therefore you have to find a way to relate to him in ways that he does understand. Having a dog includes training, not just purchasing and feeding. It seems as though you were not fully educated on how to be a dog owner and perhaps you need to do all you can to find the means to professionally train your dog. Not trying to be ugly to you, but as I mentioned your dog has no voice so I feel that I need to say a few words on his behalf....

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The places I've looked at we're 65 an hour and or 350 for 6 weeks which is better but originally I never had to put my dogs into training. I have a Siberian husky who is well mannered and well behaved an I did all te training. Apollo just won't listen. No matter how many times. Also, it was probably a ba idea getting a breed I never worked with before. I don't want to give up. I just don't know what to do anymore :(
I'd look harder for places. I've found plenty that were either $100 or $150. Even one that was $90 all for 6 weeks. I'd really try to find something. It will help

Longshot gave great advice. Kikopup is a very helpful tool as well as videos on leerburg and also like she said just start back at the beginning. Make sure you are using high value treats and make training fun and not too long.

Is he crate trained? Crates are great while training if not get a baby gate and section off a SAFE area in your house that's what we do with Diesel because he hates his crate. The destruction is because he's bored. You need to wear him out. Diesel has only chewed maybe 2 things the whole time we've had him but we tire him out and he is never not supervised. Pretend your dog is 3 months old and don't let it anywhere wi out you and if you need to leave him, crate him.

You need to push through this. He's still basically a puppy and needs boundaries and still needs to be taught things and trust me he will test you everyday. diesel is almost 5 months and he already tests me. there's so much more you can do with him switch up your training methods and try something else that might work because what your doing isn't working for him do you need to find what motivates him.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Been there, done that. Ya know, if you need a breather, see if someone can take him for a day or two. Take a deep breath and dive right back in. Kind of like people with kids, some days you just need a break. If you push thru this, you will get there and you will be a happy camper and so will your dog once he knows the right things. But with that said, My RIP girl when she turned 8 I finally said, wow, now she is the perfect dog.. knew everything knew each others moods etc etc. I am sure it all clicked before then, but it just took me awhile to see it.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
If you can't afford the $350 training, at least look into Petsmart or Petco. A six week class runs around $125. Check out a couple of classes before you commit, to see if the instructor knows what they are doing. There are also several training books listed in the reccomended reading section, and you've already had the kikopup reccomendation.

Destructive puppies are puppies that have been given the chance to destroy things. Crate him if you are not in the same room watching him. A tired dog is a good dog. I have a dog who can go on a 3 mile walk and still be rarin' to go, so I bought retriever dummies for her to fetch in the yard. It can take up to 20 minutes of non-stop running to tire her out. Sibes are another high-octane breed, so what did you do to tire your Sibe out?

Behavioral issues are the number one preventable reason dogs are turned over to shelters. Most dogs turned in for behavior issues are adolecents who have never been properly socialized or trained.

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
Honestly, I will never again try to talk someone in to keeping an animal they feel they don't want. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it was a poorly made decision getting the dog to begin with, but I don't believe people who don't want dogs should be forced to continue caring for them for the next 10-years or so because of social pressure and responsibility. What kind of home will that really be for an unwanted animal?

I say if you really want to try to turn things around, look into the less expensive training options like PetSmart offers.

If you genuinely feel you're approaching your limits with him, contact a Doberman rescue. I would recommend offering to keep him until they find him a new, vetted home because rescues are over-flowing right now and many dogs are being turned away because they don't have enough available foster homes. If you can keep him while they find him a home though, you're giving him a much better chance at going to a good home with a rescue's help and rescue's dedication/support.

Dobes can be difficult dogs to raise and it's not the breed for everyone. If a Dobe isn't the dog for you, kudos to you for figuring it out and admitting it. Just please do the right thing by your boy if you decide to give him up.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Where are you in WA? I know of 2 phenomenal resources but close to Seattle area mostly.

A quick tip - if he is destructive, he simply needs more supervision or a crate :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have found the more you work with your dog, the closer you will become and vice versa. He will start depending on you and wanting to please you vs the other dog. You'll also find patience you didn't realize you had because you suddenly realize you do love this boy.

If you don't have time nor the money, I'd find a good local rescue to take him. We can help you find that rescue. Where in Washington are you located?

Please don't disappear and not respond. We want to help you get out of this situation which in turn helps the puppy.

Reactions: Adara and kwhite30

·
Registered
416 Posts
Don't feel defeated. Our pup is only 13 weeks, some days are good, some days are BAD!

The advice that a lot of people have suggested to crate your dog really helps. When I need a breather, or when I'm cooking (which is my de-stress time), our pup is in his crate watching our 55" TV while chewing on his bone.

Destruction is definitely a sign of boredom and restlessness. Does your dobie not wear himself out by playing with your husky?

Here's a list of training videos that I found helpful that you can try to implement.

Free Video List

Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Go to the Library obedience books galore,all kinds of trick books inter mingle obedience and tricks so you and your boy do not get bored. All kinds of training here on your computer NILF Nothing in Life is Free, Clicker training DVD's on training dogs you absolutely do not have to have a class. Class are very nice to go to but there are other ways back in 1968 I trained a 1/2 GSD & 1/2 Redbone **** hound best dog I ever trained I used the Lack land Air force training manual. At about 12 months they can be trying they are teen agers Good Luck training your boy.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Honestly, I will never again try to talk someone in to keeping an animal they feel they don't want. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it was a poorly made decision getting the dog to begin with, but I don't believe people who don't want dogs should be forced to continue caring for them for the next 10-years or so because of social pressure and responsibility. What kind of home will that really be for an unwanted animal?

I say if you really want to try to turn things around, look into the less expensive training options like PetSmart offers.

If you genuinely feel you're approaching your limits with him, contact a Doberman rescue. I would recommend offering to keep him until they find him a new, vetted home because rescues are over-flowing right now and many dogs are being turned away because they don't have enough available foster homes. If you can keep him while they find him a home though, you're giving him a much better chance at going to a good home with a rescue's help and rescue's dedication/support.

Dobes can be difficult dogs to raise and it's not the breed for everyone. If a Dobe isn't the dog for you, kudos to you for figuring it out and admitting it. Just please do the right thing by your boy if you decide to give him up.

Good luck in your decision.
Agree 100% with Brigette. If you are unable, or unwilling to invest the time and money it will take to work with your dog, it's time to start contacting rescues. Unfortunately, I see tons of young, adolescent dogs who come into our rescue because the owners have not put in the time and training with them as puppies and they are now unruly adolescents. Be honest with yourself. If you want to make this work, all the suggestions you've seen above are great. There are certainly trainers that are cheaper than what you've mentioned, and there are a lot of online resources, too. But, if you are at the point where you AREN'T willing to work on it, contact rescue groups. You have to be committed to putting the work in if you want to keep your dog, and it's going to be ongoing. This is not a breed where you can typically take one obedience class and call it good. They are challenging and they take a lot of commitment.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not sure where in WA you are but you should be able to find a good trainer to help you for much less then $350. Heck, there are all sorts of great books out there. Just look for something by Karen Pryor, Jean Donaldson, Ian Dunbar...
Here is the website for an old friend of mine. He is fantastic with dogs and would be an awesome ally for you.
Good Dog Training

This places has a 9 week course for $130
dog training and obedience Canine Behavior Center - Redmond, WA- Welcome

Here is another place that could offer you help
ACADEMY of CANINE BEHAVIOR - Teaching dogs to live with people.

and my last suggestion would be to look into a prison program in your state. I know here in CO, we have a program where your dog spends a month with an inmate at a local prison and they are trained and cared for by that prisoner for the month. It is generally very reasonably priced and may give you the "break" from your dog that want all while getting him trained by someone who has nothing but time to devote to his every need, for a month.

Good luck. Dog training takes commitment and work, but one day, when you look at your dog and see what an amazing relationship and bond you have developed, there is no better feeling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts