Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just let my boy Koda go Dec 30-- 2021.. he was 9.5 ..found my way here for that connection.. while in this horrible human condition of missing them so.. each day I'm functioning at a more stable level.. I've got back to walking, but after 9+ years of walking with him everyday my body feels weird while walking doberless. Everything thing feels weird, you all know. Unfortunately I lost my first Dobe Lexa at 11 yrs and then Loki at 9 years too. I've had 25+ years of a life enhanced by these amazing dogs.. they have been my center balance piece. I actually put myself on a " waiting list " of a breeder knowing to love another one completes me..

I want to say hello , I'm Janet aka dobesidekick Dog Window Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

I spent the last year of Kodas life in " keep him healthy mode" present everyday but always aware he was on borrowed time due to his spleen mass that could rupture anytime. I mention that as I forgot almost all information about bringing a doberman puppy home.. I'm reading so much wonderful info on this forum thank you.

My question here is about feeding..... Just a small black n white topic, no grey areas.. ha...

I've done so much research, formed my own opinions, so curious of those owners who have dogs living to 12--14-- Shelby 18 years ?? What are you feeding, I want to stack the deck when I bring the mystery oup home..

I fed Lexa and Loki Canadie dry- added egg, cottage cheese, pumpkin, gave canned macrel once a week.
With Koda I fed Acana kibble, same add ins..

I'm looking at Farmers dog as a close to real food choice , raw doesn't seem to work for me.

Any opinions so welcome. I think John you said your disappointed with Acana re DCM info.. I'm following up on that had no idea.

Just checking on this topic.. Thank you

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
We use Purina Proplan
Every pup is different.
When Hoss came to our home as a pup…we kept him on the same kibble the breeder was using.
So many changes going on with a new pup seemed best to not mess with the digestive tract as that can upset the pooper!!! LOL
Plently of time to change the food later once everyone settles in to their new surroundings.
Looking forward to more stories.

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
I feed whatever the breeder was feeding for about a month after the puppy comes home. So many big changes already in a baby dogs life I figure even if the food isn't something I wouldt feed I won't change it for awhile while this puppy is settling in to a routine with me.

But for nearly the last 25 years my go to food has been Purina Pro Plan and I feed the one that used to be called the focus line--either Chicken and Rice or more often the Salmon and Rice (also known as Sensitive Skin and Stomach.

I've been lucky and most of my Dobes have lived to almost 10 or over 10 and my Dobe who made it to 14 was actually weaned on Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach (adult--he was never on a puppy food) and at that for his entire life.

I do add things to the kibble--yogurt or cottage cheese, an egg (I start puppies on part of an egg (and I hard boil them and by the time they are 10 weeks one of their meals includes a whole egg) and a little meat--canned dog food --in very small quantities since a surprising number of dogs don't handle canned foods well, the big treat is when I open a can of mackeral--I don't give it often so it remains a big treat. But they get bites of things if I'm cooking, Bits of carrot, celery, lettuce--apples, berries, melon. I don't actually give pumpkin on a regular basis--it's doesn't have a lot of food value and when you are using it because of a mild case of diarrhea it's well to remember that a dog who needs a little more fiber in its diet will do well with a little pumpkin but it is also a specific for dogs that are inclined to be constipated--in a larger quantity pumpkin will also take care of that. But generally if it's something I eat with only a few exceptions the puppy can have a bite too.

I was sorry to hear about your loss but puppies are kind of the cure all for that--they keep you too busy to remember that their predicessor was much easier. Eventually you'll rememer it's because that predicessor had a lifetime to practice being a good dog.

Hope you have a puppy coming soon and we are always delighted to have pictures of other peoples pups.

dobebug

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just let my boy Koda go Dec 30-- 2021.. he was 9.5 ..found my way here for that connection.. while in this horrible human condition of missing them so.. each day I'm functioning at a more stable level.. I've got back to walking, but after 9+ years of walking with him everyday my body feels weird while walking doberless. Everything thing feels weird, you all know. Unfortunately I lost my first Dobe Lexa at 11 yrs and then Loki at 9 years too. I've had 25+ years of a life enhanced by these amazing dogs.. they have been my center balance piece. I actually put myself on a " waiting list " of a breeder knowing to love another one completes me..

I want to say hello , I'm Janet aka dobesidekick View attachment 144578

I spent the last year of Kodas life in " keep him healthy mode" present everyday but always aware he was on borrowed time due to his spleen mass that could rupture anytime. I mention that as I forgot almost all information about bringing a doberman puppy home.. I'm reading so much wonderful info on this forum thank you.

My question here is about feeding..... Just a small black n white topic, no grey areas.. ha...

I've done so much research, formed my own opinions, so curious of those owners who have dogs living to 12--14-- Shelby 18 years ?? What are you feeding, I want to stack the deck when I bring the mystery oup home..

I fed Lexa and Loki Canadie dry- added egg, cottage cheese, pumpkin, gave canned macrel once a week.
With Koda I fed Acana kibble, same add ins..

I'm looking at Farmers dog as a close to real food choice , raw doesn't seem to work for me.

Any opinions so welcome. I think John you said your disappointed with Acana re DCM info.. I'm following up on that had no idea.

Just checking on this topic.. Thank you
So very sorry for your loss. I just lost a 9.5 year old on December 3. She was a ridgeback, not a Doberman, but she was a beloved member of our family. I know what you’re going through.

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Hi Janet aka Dobesidekick.
I caught your nice comment on the other thread. So glad that you came back on an introduced yourself!
So.... Welcome (again!) from the Pacific NW.
Oh. And yeah.... What dobebug said about a new puppy ^^^^^^. So true. My son had to let his senior go last year and jumped right back into the fray with a new boy a couple of months later. It definitely helped.

John L.
Portland OR

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for food tips♥
So sorry GHawk, dogs leaving us simply hurts.. no matter the breed.. cats too..

Anatole France “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”

"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Agnes Sligh Turnbull

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Janet aka Dobesidekick.
I caught your nice comment on the other thread. So glad that you came back on an introduced yourself!
So.... Welcome (again!) from the Pacific NW.
Oh. And yeah.... What dobebug said about a new puppy ^^^^^^. So true. My son had to let his senior go last year and jumped right back into the fray with a new boy a couple of months later. It definitely helped.

John L.
Portland OR
Thanks John
In all my enjoyable reading I've done out here lately I saw you mentioned your disappointment with Acana somewhere... I feed Koda Acana and Orajen his entire life..

Could you give me your conclusion of disappointment regarding Champion and DCM ?

Thank you

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Hi DSK

So... The correlations between the original Acana grain free formulas and DCM were coming to light a few years ago. It is an easy internet search. Here is a good place to start:
FDA Investigates Potential Link Between Diet & Heart Disease in Dogs

If you scroll down to the bar graph titled: Dog Food Brands Named Most Frequently in DCM Cases Reported
to FDA
, you will see that Acana tops the list.

A couple of things: Many folks, me included, tend to feel that the Doberman breed's tendency to be afflicted with DCM is most likely more genetic, rather than nutritional, in origin. That being said, I was one of the many Doberman owners whose dog did very well on Acana (Meadowlands), yet chose to switch kibbles based on the suspected correlation between DCM and grain free kibble.

My issue with Champion, as a corporation, had nothing to do with the fact that these studies were coming to light. Acana was a great kibble for dogs that could tolerate it. Rather, it was the nonchalance and almost belligerent attitude that Acana took. I first found out about this possible issue via my local independent pet supple store. They specialize in pet nutrition and diet and dropped Champion Brand foods when they could not get a satisfactory response from the regarding the grain free/DCM questions.

So... Maybe somebody else will comment. But in a nutshell: A company, whose sole selling point was that it was the healthiest option for one's pet, did not immediately stand up and take point on the investigation into a potentially serious health issue facing many of their customers and their dogs.

Hope this gives you a bit of what I was referring to in my previous comment.

John L
Portland OR

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you JL for responding..I did google it all.. again so much info.. I had read things that said contradictory info for us current customers to not worry.. . not enough for concern.. all that..bla bla.. Kodas last year I was feeding half kibble/ suplimental fresh food choices..

I appreciate very much your sharing of their nonchalant response... Profit first.. dam them !! I was concerned when they moved plant to Kentucky..

Again Thank you
DSK 👍

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
What a beautiful introduction! Welcome to the forum and my deepest condolences on your loss. As you see in my signature line, I agree that we never get enough time with our dogs. I look forward to your puppy pictures when the time is right.

I followed @dobebug advice and stuck to what my breeder fed, which happened to be the same food she recommended. My boy (17 months) still eats PPP Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice. Here are the old and new labels for reference. From puppyhood, my boy also gets egg, sardines, olive oil, carrots, and so on. I always do my best to account for calories of human food and reduce kibble.
Carnivore Felidae Font Lion Big cats

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,828 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Life definitely feels so different when our loveys leave us.

December 21, 2018 I had to let my best gal go. She was almost 10. That afternoon I sent out emails to breeders. I was blessed to form a relationship with my breeder and my sweet boy was born December 31, 2018. Everything lined up for me and I will forever be grateful that I only spent until the beginning of March dobeless.

Coco was raw fed for 9 years of her life. She did very well on it.

Sugar was weaned onto raw from his breeder. This was a dream for a raw feeder like me! He has never had kibble and does very well on raw.

Reactions: 4x4bike ped

·
Super Moderator
22,936 Posts
My issue with Champion, as a corporation, had nothing to do with the fact that these studies were coming to light. Acana was a great kibble for dogs that could tolerate it. Rather, it was the nonchalance and almost belligerent attitude that Acana took. I first found out about this possible issue via my local independent pet supple store. They specialize in pet nutrition and diet and dropped Champion Brand foods when they could not get a satisfactory response from the regarding the grain free/DCM questions.

So... Maybe somebody else will comment. But in a nutshell: A company, whose sole selling point was that it was the healthiest option for one's pet, did not immediately stand up and take point on the investigation into a potentially serious health issue facing many of their customers and their dogs.

Hope this gives you a bit of what I was referring to in my previous comment.

John L
Portland OR
John, I 100% agree with you. There were also some social media posts in response to owners who had lost their dogs to DCM (owners who were feeding Acana) that were, IMO, quite heartless and nasty.

What's even more interesting is that Acana came out with a line of "wholesome grains" fairly quickly after being named as one of the foods highest on the list of foods of that were being eaten by dogs diagnosed with nutritional DCM. So, either they DO think there's a problem with the formulation of the grain-free line, OR they are capitalizing on the fear of grain-free to market a new line of grain-inclusive food. Either way, it leaves a hugely bad taste of the company in my mouth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Feeling the love here already...

Yes I'm dobeless but it's feeling manageable. I will likely have a new love in my life by year's end so that is comfort.. I'm completely re-evaluating the Acana choice-- felt so secure for years they were a top ingredients food 😒 unfortunately our breed is prone to DCM so I want to add an extra layer of protection..

I may try raw with a short cut of it all being packaged for me, shipped to me.. Success story brand suggestions welcome.

Longevity dobe owners- I know a rescue can own your heart exactly the same-- as a puppy from a top notch breeder, I lived it could not have loved my 2 rescues even a smidge different than my pup from solid breeder...
What's the popular science to say a pup from quality breeder , health testing gives that stacking of deck for longer healthy life..

I'm trying to cheat and maybe it's just simply a gamble to love them either way.. I'm in the beginning of my last chapter.. ( earliest part of 60) I just want to stack the deck...

My heart is still tender a bit.. if an unknown doberman wandered to me as a stray, after sincere check to find it's good family... If no find..
It would be mine.. ♥♥. Like that would ever happen

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
What a beautiful introduction! Welcome to the forum and my deepest condolences on your loss. As you see in my signature line, I agree that we never get enough time with our dogs. I look forward to your puppy pictures when the time is right.

I followed @dobebug advice and stuck to what my breeder fed, which happened to be the same food she recommended. My boy (17 months) still eats PPP Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice. Here are the old and new labels for reference. From puppyhood, my boy also gets egg, sardines, olive oil, carrots, and so on. I always do my best to account for calories of human food and reduce kibble.
View attachment 144597
Thanks M & M--for putting up the pictures of the old and new bags of the same ProPlan that you feed and I definitely recommend. That picture is worth a thousand words.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
22,936 Posts
Longevity dobe owners- I know a rescue can own your heart exactly the same-- as a puppy from a top notch breeder, I lived it could not have loved my 2 rescues even a smidge different than my pup from solid breeder...
What's the popular science to say a pup from quality breeder , health testing gives that stacking of deck for longer healthy life..
I think this is such a hard thing...I guess my personal feeling is that loving the breed means accepting that we live with risk, regardless. Even the best breeders that are doing their utmost to breed for healthy, long-lived dogs can be hit with heartbreak. Do I think it's possible to "stack the deck" in your favor? Yes. Do I still accept that loving and living with this breed means knowing that it's possible that even with a puppy from a great breeder, with a pedigree full of longevity certifications you still have that small fear in the back of your mind...yes. I think for me, it comes down to wanting the predictability of temperament that comes with puppies from great breeders, and the hope that health will be more predictable. I also really, really appreciate the breeder support that comes with a great breeder. I really appreciate both of my breeders. They are there for me with everything. And it's tremendously helpful to be able to send a message saying, hey, my dog is doing this thing, is this common in your dogs? Or, have you noticed this, and what is your recommendation? I can't overstate the value of that relationship.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all... Such good points
Meadowcat yes- great reply.

I think I'm in a strange place. I'm trying to plan, come up with non reality anything , so that I think I will not have to go through the loss again too soon.. Like" this time I'll buy 12 years "Life doesn't work that way , I know...

I'm on a waiting list from an amazing breeder. If that time is right for us both I'll start my next chapter. Until then I'm squeezing my baby's coat when I walk by it.

My eyes are hurting , not from crying anymore but reading so much out here.. It's my new pass time. So many great subjects/posts 🤗

2 of my 3 dobes did not enter in to my life with a perfect plan.. but they were perfect years as well as my one I did plan completely for..♥♥♥.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts