Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, my name is Astrid
I have two dobermann, I love them!
They both are amazing, well behaved, intelligent

KALI is my girl a red, beautiful American line, show quality dog, she's 1.6 years
and soon, in her third estrus, I'm going to breed her

COCU is a huge red, strong, beautiful male of European working lines

****POST EDITED TO CONFORM TO FORUM RULES****
I'm training both of them in defense and protection, obedience, and agility

They both do great, COCU is new at Agility, but soon is going to be doing just as well as KALI does

Best regards and best wishes, Astrid

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hello and welcome to DT from me and my girls here in the U.K.

Reactions: STAR

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
Her third season will make her, what, about 18 months old? Why breed what is essentially still a puppy? Is there some hurry?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not hurry just wish!

Thanks for welcoming us, I already posted some pictures of my dobes, in the red dobes space
there's no hurry to breed her but a desire, I think she's ready to be a mom, in her third estrus she'll be about 20 or 21months old, she's now 18 mos.
I've been researching and I'm being couched by a breeder, have you heard of TNT and Firecracker, they are winning lots of prices in Mexico, Argentina, USA? well their breeder is couching me, in fact may be Firecracker is going to be the stud for Kali, still not so sure... but there's a great possibility

I also thank all your coments and opinions, I'm always open to learn
By the way I'm Astrid, I teach English here in Mexico in a school for chefs.
Best wishes, Star

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
We do not allow advertising on this forum Star. It is stated in our rules, so I am editing your intro post. Welcome to DT, there is a lot to learn here, and a lot of good coaching available ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry I didn't realize it was an advertisement.
I'll be careful, next time...
thanks for welcoming me in this interesting site
what's your opinion about breeding an American line dog with a European working line?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
what's your opinion about breeding an American line dog with a European working line?
That's just a matter of what you are looking for in the offspring. Everyone wants/needs something different in their breeding program. I am of the opinion though that if a person doesn't have a specific goal in mind they aren't ready to be a "breeder".

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Who is the breeder of Kali? Do they know you intend on breeding her? Maybe you should seek their guidance also.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't realize it was an advertisement.
I'll be careful, next time...
thanks for welcoming me in this interesting site
There are plenty of threads on this site that will give you a good perspective on the whole 'euro/american' doberman debate. Personally, I am of the opinion, there is only the Doberman, no euro or american in front of that, therefore only one breed. I find it a shame people feel the need to segregate it like they have been.

Star, you will also find plenty of threads here on breeding, why people should breed, and back yard breeding. They are very educational and I would recommend you take the time to read as many as you can.

And Welcome to DT. :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Personally, I am of the opinion, there is only the Doberman, no euro or american in front of that, therefore only one breed. I find it a shame people feel the need to segregate it like they have been.
This is just my personal opinion...but I can count the number of Euro x American crosses that I thought were really nice dogs in the first generation on the fingers of one hand. They may be considered the same breed, but they're bred under two different standards and type is very different between the two..that makes a BIG difference when people start trying to combine them. I think it's EXTREMELY rare to get a dog who's better than either of it's parents when you do this.

I might could see doing it if there was some trait absolutely unavailable in one genepool or the other..then it might be worth losing ground for awhile in one area to improve in another. But from what I've seen, you'd be looking at about 3 generations of breeding one of these crosses back to strictly American lines to gain back the ground lost. LOLOL..and I'm sure the Europeans would feel the same way-it would take a few generations to gain back the ground THEY thought they'd lost. :)

Maybe for health (like DCM, if a perfect world existed and there was a dog who was 100% guaranteed free of DCM) I might be willing to do that..otherwise, I'd stick to the idea of breeding like to like. It's enough of a challenge producing good dogs when you do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also think it's one breed Dobermann and that's all, but we can't cover the sun with a thumb (Mexican saying) You can clearly see the differences there are when most of euro dobes owners and breeders are more focused into working their dogs and selecting their new breeding by temper and working ability, and some times forgetting or ignoring the structure and beauty, and the American line breeders more focused in the structure and beauty, but ignoring totally the temper, I'm afraid to lose the beauty and structure looking forward the right temper or losing the right temper searching for the beauty, though both my dogs are beautiful, the Euro Cocu has a nice structure and Kali the American line has a nice temper and works, still I can see the difference.
I think we could have beauty and temper in our dobes, this would be my goal by breeding, melting both lines into one, a full Dobermann beautiful and well tempered… is it possible?

Here I see you can argue and still be respectful, in Mexican forums well they even separated in two groups, two different forums because the Euro dobe breeders became so aggressive... well that's an other story I just want to congratulate you for keeping respectful and friendly, thanks for all your opinions
Regards, Astrid

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All though I'm not decided yet, I'm invited and tempted to breed this first time with Fire Cracker, American line show champ, an other option would be to breed with a working dobe of French lines...
Still discussing the subject with the trainner, who's also a breeder, with Kali's breeder, he's not very interested really, with FireCracker's owner, and now here, very hard to decide what is best... though I'm more attracted to breed with a working tempered dog, best regards Astrid

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Welcome Star, hope you enjoy the forum.

Reactions: STAR

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee. I am sure you will find the forum enjoyable and informative.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts