Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing research for almost two months as far as where to get my first doberman pup. I do not want a show dog, or working dog, just a healthy, good tempered family dob. I have spoke with Bruda and Dedos in IL as well as MOAs in Wisconsin. I just saw a really bad review on Dedo but went there today and thought she had some very nice pups. I just am not seasoned enough to know what the little differences are between the bad, average, good and great breeders. Anything in particular I should look for or questions to ask? I really appreciate any and all information! Thanks

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
First and foremost is health testing. Dobermans are an exceptionally unhealthy breed. It's estimated that 60% of male dobermans have DCM which is a huge killer in this breed. I would never consider a breeder that does not do a yearly echo/holter, OFA elbows/hips, thyroid, CERF for eye abnormalities, and I'm sure there's something else. Most sub par breeders will tell you their dogs are vet checked and healthy. The problem is a normal vet check will NOT be enough to diagnose the problems that run rampant in this breed.

The next thing is... there are plenty of pet quality pups from show/working breeders. They may not have suitable drives or perhaps a small conformation flaw that makes them unsuitable for breeding/showing but does not stop them from being perfectly lovely pets. Thing is.. the show/working breeders put their dogs to the test. They know temperaments and structure inside and out. They know the problems you're likely to run into health-wise from studying the pedigrees.

Please go with an ethical breeder that health tests and titles their dogs. Less expensive at purchase does NOT mean less expensive in the long run.

Also: Please consider adoption too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adoption is unfortunately out of the question because of our young children, Illinois Dob rescue will not let anyone with children under 7 have their dogs. Honestly though I want a puppy, I want it to grow up around my family and I want to be able to mold it when they are most easily molded.

As far as the health testing, everyone I talk to says they do all of these tests but I am not sure I would know the difference from some bogus paperwork that says they are clean and legit papers.

I have no problem paying 2k+ for a pet quality dob as long as its healthy and is coming from a reputable breeder, prob is I just cant get comfortable in finding the right breeder. maybe I am over analyzing but I dont want to make a mistake and either have a dog that dies due to health issues or even worse in my opinion harms someone in my family because of tempermant issues.

Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have a Bruda dog and can also recommend Sandra. My boy was actually sired by an MOA dog as well. I am very happy with him and Sandra has always been helpful with anything we've needed. I cannot comment on MOA's breeding practices, but they look reputable based on info I have seen on their website (titles/health testing, etc.) as well as the fact that Sandra would breed her bitch to one of their dogs.

Not sure where you are located but I also train with another doberman breeder, Mary Dependahl with Ravenswoods. She is out of Rolling Meadows, IL.

Good luck in your puppy search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Special K thanks for the insight. I spoke to Sandra but she wont have puppies available for us until next year. I am going to see MOAs litter this weekend but I am worried about properly taking care of the ears after we go home since she is in Wisconsin. I hear you need to have someone very experienced to take care of the ears 4-6 months after you take the puppy home. Can you comment on your experience with the ears after you took the dog home?

I also spoke to Smack Dab and Rahdy Dobs today and both seem very knowledgeable so I look forward to meeting with them and seeing their pups. If anyone has feedback on either of these breeders it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I would check out Bruda Dobermans: Home -

p.s. I believe they have a natural eared youngster (male) looking for a great home. Litterbox -
The natural eared puppy is actually going to his new home this weekend... he's going to be a SDIT! :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I hear you need to have someone very experienced to take care of the ears 4-6 months after you take the puppy home. Can you comment on your experience with the ears after you took the dog home?
While posting ears can seem really intimidating to newbies, it's really not rocket science. It's not at all hard to learn how to do it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts