Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Darmok is a trader, you know, a barterer! If you are eating something that she really thinks she needs a bite of (which is virtually anything edible) she will start out with those begging eyes, followed by the drooling mouth, and if that fails to produce a bite flying from my hand to her mouth, she goes into 'Trader Mode', and will search the room for valuable items to trade for a bite. Yesterday during dinner, she brought me the telephone, then a magazine, followed by a Papa John's Pizza coupon, and I just took the stuff she offered, laughed my butt off, and said through tears and laughter,"stop bringing me stuff!". She went shopping again in the living room, and brought back my cell phone, which was ringing! THAT got her a big bite of turkey!!!:roflmao:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
So glad that Darmok finally got her turkey :)
It must be a super smart Dobergirl thing :) Chi will do that if she wants to go outside and I'm not quick enough. She'll start by pacing a bit, then pacing and whining, then jump on the door; when all else fails, she'll get something, a sock, a dish towel, one of my daughters toys or a pen or pencil and bring it to me!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Darmok is pretty smart! She started when she was a puppy by stealing my socks every morning while I'd be trying to get ready to go to work. I thought if she's gonna pick things up in her mouth and run around with it, I might as well work on 'shaping' that behavior into something useful! Took a long time (and I lost many a sock!) but now her repretoir of tricks includes pulling my socks off my feet when I take my shoes off (and she is very gentle about it NOW), she will pick up keys, my sunglasses, my gloves, anything I drop on the floor if I say "oops" when it drops. She will bring the tv remote or the telephone when I tell her to, and believe it or not, she will pick up the stainless steel dog feeding bowls after I feed morning feedings to 5 inside dogs and bring them to me one at a time. All her "stunts" get rewarded, of course, that's why she does it! It blows company away when I tell her to pick up a quarter off the floor that I drop, and she will pick it up in her teeth and give it to me. The best part is when the company tries it, and throws a quarter on the floor...she still picks it up and gives it to ME! LOL Dar would make a great service dog, except for one thing---she doesnt much care for people, except me and my wife and son. She isnt mean or aggressive towards other people, she just has no use for them and is sort of aloof and anti-social. But I love her SO MUCH! I could never imagine having another dog like her. Sorry for the rambling, but I love to brag about my Dar!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts