Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you need help on training or obedience or behavior, you can ask me. Im enrolled into a college to be a Dog Obedience Trainer/Instructor and have read quite a few books

books I recommend:
Puppies for Dummies
House Training for Dummies
Dog Training for Dummies
Teach the Person, Teach the Dog

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want to know more!
What college is it run at? How long does it run for? and what methods do they teach you? Do you have any major influences in your background to your own ideas of training?
Are you a competitor in any disapline? Do they teach you any animal behavorial units?

read about it later :)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
i prefer to get my training advice from people that have actually TRAINED dogs, not just read about it or enrolled in an online course for it. considering you were asking how to get your dog to jump, i would suggest focusing on training your own dogs.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
doberkim said:
i prefer to get my training advice from people that have actually TRAINED dogs, not just read about it or enrolled in an online course for it. considering you were asking how to get your dog to jump, i would suggest focusing on training your own dogs.

Ouch Doberkim! Course I have to admit that crossed my mind too..... :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
well the fact remains, this is a young kid, new to the breed, who has asked on other boards how to train his dogs, and was intent on breeding the two of them together once the bitch got older (and may still plan that, i dont know) -- and has been very rude to members of the board and expects to learn the easy way out.

the fact also remains, that if i need training help, what good is someone who has never done it themselves? you can read about something, but until you do it, get out there, observe it, etc, you dont really know much about training. once your involved in dog sports, it can be easy to switch over to others, but for someone that has only had the breed for a little over half a year and has only taken his dog through basic obedience, you don't really have the skills, knowledge base, or the tools in the toolbag, with which to train others. JMNSHO

·
Banned
375 Posts
What is amazing is i believe we all agreed to not attack anyone and that is almost an attack he is asking because he or she wants to know she he or she doesnt make a mistake... why attack.. yes i agree if you dont know then well ask someone who has done it... but there are people here who have done it and obviously that is why this person asked... i mean that seems to be the reason why people ask questions here or at least that is the natural thing to do... i guess.

maybe im wrong maybe im not but darn...

·
Registered
19 Posts
erm - im not sure whats going on here. If any of these comments are aimed at me, I was asking about the course because no such thing exists here (aus) that I know of and I didnt even think that it was an internet course, I assumed it was a hands on training facility. Maybe i live in the dark? IMHO anyone with problems who dosnt have a regular trainer or club should get one, however if you are someone who has experience training reading different approaches is good for opening the mind. Im sure most will agree not one approach will cure all ails.

besides pls dont bully, I thought he just wanted to help. Maybe he has a mentor he can discuss approaches to problems - who knows maybe he would like to give us more back ground.

In the end I new here, and was just shocked at the approches in this link. wrecks the \vibe' dont you think?

Happy training

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I didn't aim anything at you Thoroughbred, just agreeing with Doberkim, who (speaking from my perspective) didn't aim anything at you either.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Gunner, I apologize for my insinuated comment. It was rude and not called for. I often get caught up in the wording that I don't care for and that is what caught me there. Thank you for your offer to help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well as I was saying to KIm, yes I was asking on advice for agility training because I have no experience there, thats why I said OBEDIENCE not agility therefore your little "asking how to make your dog jump" comment was irrellavent and ignorant(Kim)

Ive been working and discussing with an experienced(20years) Dog trainer. I myself have been in it for about a year, I said im here for help, im by no means no EVERYTHING, but i could give helpful insight

1 - 11 of 11 Posts