Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the popularity of dobes with natural ears has recently increased, I want to know how many among us actually prefer the drop-eared look. :) So how 'bout it, if you could pick any color, tail and ear combination which would you want? Feel free to explain why, but no squabbling! :)

I personally want a blue, docked and natural. (With a coat like Kim's handsome Noodle!)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have black and tan, docked with big, floppy ears that I am 100% in love with. To me, his ears make him the big, goofy looking boy that he is...until he needs to get into guard dog mode and everything stands straight up.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I love the look of the black and tan cropped and docked. but I think when Im older and on my own and I have the money for health issues and such Ill probably rescue...and I would loooove to have a natural eared dobe...I think all dobes look beautiful really...

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
I have what I prefer most (black, cropped & docked), but I've also had a natural earred Doberman and I loved her too.

I too love a nice blue - but have seen too many iffy coats to take the chance on one. I would say in order of favorite colors mine are: black, blue, red, fawn.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I'd take my Petey,size, color, but put back his tail and his ears.....I'd love my boy to be 100% the way he was born.

oxc

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Very hard question on color...If I had to pick one it would be blk/tan cropped and docked. How about if you only had to have one, male or female???? Mine would be male.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I don't know better now, but I really like them natural, never known how much movement there is in a dobie tail,

If I ever have the choice I sure would keep them with ears and tail, black or red, it doesn't matter, the other colours you don't see here there not accepted, but when I see Rah, I sure would go for blue as well!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I prefer the look of a cropped docked dog for me it has to be black/tan first then brown, I own docked and cropped and docked with natural ears and I'm sure at some point I'll have a tailed Dobe too.
France stopped cropping in 2004 but still dock and England brought a docking ban in to force in April this year, the choice of how we want our Dobermann to look in Europe is being taken away but I love the breed and would never consider owning any other and if I have to have it as god intended so be it.

Maureen

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I would love a blue if I could keep her coat nice. When all is said and done I just love the breed. You get used to a look but I've learned that you also get used to other looks. I couldn't imagine Jordan docked and we love his tail and at the same time I miss the nubby butt wag. In the same way I love the elegant cropped look which at the same time can't express the sweetness in the face of an uncroped dobe (and they aren't as much fun to play with).

Hum, so final answer......Blue female, uncropped and can't decide on the dock, just too hard.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I have just what I want already :win2k:
Nicely cropped and docked, while I do love the classic black, I am pretty open to each of the four allowed colors. :)

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Originally, I did not want cropped ears. Docked tail was ok, though. And I wanted a red male.

I told the breeder I did not want our pup cropped but the breeder wouldn't let any pups go uncropped, and since I wanted to stick with that reputable breeder, we didn't have a choice in the matter. But now that Red's ears are almost done, I like the cropped look. But I still wouldn't crop if it was up to me.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have had all black & docked but some uncropped ears. They were real cute and well loved. However having said that I love my red Tamora--docked and cropped. I would take many of her all over again. Than again there is really only one Tamora.:)
Sex--all my dobes were female-so I would prefer staying with that sex.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Black, cropped and docked for me. I love reds equally as well, as my first doberman was a red. The only reason I would pick black over red is because a red's coat bleaches out in the sun vs the black coats that always look the same. My dogs spend a lot of time sunbathing. :) I love blues and fawns also, but it's not easy to get either of those two colors with as nice a coat as a nice black. I prefer docked and cropped. No particular reason other than I prefer the look. I also prefer females only because I have a multiple dog household and refuse to deal with the probability of male/male aggression.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
That's tricky. . .I always wanted a red male & a blue female. My husband want the next one cropped & docked but I don't care either way. I'm liking the tails too. I' like to have one cropped & docked and one with floppy ears and a tail :) Also in my dream world I'd have one of each accepted color :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Red, docked

I prefer the docked tail to save my own legs and nick-nacks. So, I guess that's selfish... I like the natural ears because I really think it makes them look so cute. My floppy eared Dobies will still raise thier ears when they want to, but sometimes only one goes up and I think it's so cute. My favorite color is red (don't tell Bismarck), but not for the coat... For me, it's all about the eyes on the red Dobies.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
is there any doubt - natural ears all the way in this household!
natural tail i could live with too, but my preference:

natural eared, black male with docked tail. next would be same thing but a blue male :)

i dont mind cropped ears, i love the look. but my personal preference is for natural ears. i cant remember if leah is on this board, was going to make a crack about it being more organic... :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts