Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My puppy will be coming home Oct 1st! I will make a new thread about her when I het some pictures of her and ask/awnser any questions there. I've been sponging information off DT for months, if not years now.

until then...

If you could only give 1 piece of advice to a new puppy owner, what would it be?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
When dober pup is little, they can't run too far off with 100% supervision:

---> So first few months, almost all outside potty breaks are off-leash here...when I can, I always do early off-leash before on-leash work.
Our property is only fenced on 3 sides and we live down a short dead end street.
I believe in building an early verbal bond and pup learns to stay inside perimeter boundaries, ones I have established & communicated.
- our girl is allowed to visit both next door neighbor properties...but discouraged to touch the pavement, even if it sees a stray cat or squirrel, in the distance

·
Registered
479 Posts
Have a variety of toys and chewies available so your puppy has choices and can learn what is appropriate to chew and to keep itself busy sometimes.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
practice leaving them for short periods of time, teach them a crate is their friend and get them used to being in it alone, and when you are home.
I think the one Id pass along the most is to practice leaving them alone and avoid separation anxiety .. it sucks for them and you especially i they decide to become destructive and chew stuff up when you leave.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,726 Posts
Remember she is just a baby--don't expect too much of her at first--she's gonna make mistakes and messes, and you'll get frustrated with her. But just encourage her to explore her new world and keep your training positive, and your together time fun and happy, and she'll grow up sound and balanced and eager to learn.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Your choice to get a puppy, so don't be surprised when they act like a puppy! Love the puppy stuff and be grateful you have the best friend you will ever have.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My 1 piece of advice: It's not fair to expect your dog to be any better than your training, knowledge base, patience, and experience will allow for. If you want a better dog, become a better trainer, and make yourself more knowledgeable about general dog behavior, training methods, and how to apply them to your individual situation. Outside of medical/physical/etc. situations, EVERY dog has the potential to be great. But for your dog to be great, WE need to be great too.

It's no big secret, generally, "bad" dogs are living with people with less experience and knowledge, and the "good" dogs are living with people that have more experience and knowledge. We can never learn too much, and these days information, answers, tips, lessons, etc. are literally almost never more than seconds away.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We just got Loki 2 weeks ago..my biggest advice 2 weeks in is to not invest a great deal of money into baby gates, rather teach your pup that being in his/ her crate is the best thing since sliced bread. Loki learned to climb over his penned area within the first week, so it is no longer useful. The same would apply to a baby gate as they are the same height...but he enjoys his crate and although he puts up a fuss for a couple of minutes, he settles down nicely.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
We have had 3 Dobermans. they are unlike any other dog.
Two pieces of advice to share.

As soon as that pup wakes up from a nap, out to pee. If the dog has an accident in the house, it is the OWNERS fault, not the dog. They have a little baby bladder.

Dobermans need crazy amounts of exercise. As your dog grows, ensure you spend much time running and playing. Not just walks. A young male Dobe needs 2-3 hours of exercise, play time, a day. Really.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Don't have too high of expectations, they are only puppies... Take a step back if you get frustrated at training... Know that they are trying to please, but it is going to take longer for them to know what you want vs what they are doing.

Keep things fun and happy!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts