Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have throw out the name of several breeders for feedback from the forum, but I don't think that I've seen a ''wish" breeder....

so the question is, if you could get a dobe from any breeder in the world (living and still actively breeding) where would you go?

cc

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Cute idea CM :) I don't do much research in the breeders circles, so I can't name hardly any! But from what little I do know and have seen on line, I am a Cambria and Foxfire fan :) Nice looking poochies. Although the cost of a show dog is pretty outrageous through Cambria.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Some of the small unknown breeders who only breed once in a blue moon would be my choice. They put heart and soul into a once in a lifetime breeding - and take a huge amount of pride in that ONE litter, no matter what they accomplish. They may never make a big name for themselves in the world of show breeders, but when they do breed a litter it is with a great deal of thought and care.

Velma's breeder is someone I would not hesitate to send someone to - she is not a big name, but is always there for us. Louise's breeder consistently produces a lovely Doberman - I don't hesitate to send people to her either.

And yes, I would say that some of the big name breeders out there are charging a fortune for a show puppy ........... it is almost embarrassing to see the prices.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
velmadobe said:
Some of the small unknown breeders who only breed once in a blue moon would be my choice..
Funnily enough, I was about to post something very similiar..this is the kind of breeder the bitches I've bought have come from-like Murrey in the past, and now Razzle. I can't say in either case this was done delibarately, tho-just the way it all worked out.

I'd done some looking prior to Razzle coming along, and actually had plans on buying a puppy from Walamara dobermans in Australia. That didn't work out,
the particular litter I was interested in wound up being nothing but black males when I wanted a red bitch. But you can't say Walamara is small or not well known-they're one of the more prominent breeders in their country, with well over 100 champions to date.

A small, not well known breeder who consistently produces very nice dogs is Nikki McClendon, Merrimac is her kennel name. I'd talked to her about a puppy as well. She was between litters, desparately searching for the "right" stud dog for the bitches she had when I was looking.

Then life got complicated with geriatric dogs, so I stopped looking for awhile.

Razzle is here because two friends who are long term, well known breeders decided it was time I got a new puppy and got back involved in showing again. :) So they made it a "mission"-they're the ones who found Razzle, and then bullied me into going to look at her when I was dragging my feet because she wasn't red. She's sired by a champion Foxfire dog out of a Top 20, Award of Merit winning dam, bred by a relatively unknown breeder named Sherry Adams, who lives in Alaska. I'd recommend Sherry any time, but she breeds so infrequently that she's really not a viable option for puppy referrals.

Of the larger, more well known breeders in North America-I'd go to Foxfire or Wrath/Liberator in Canada.

So I can't really say there's *one* specific breeder I'd go to..I'd be proud to own a dog from any of the breeders I've mentioned here, and they're the people I'd contact if I was looking for a new puppy. Some are relatively obscure, others are quite well known..all of them consistently produce good quality dogs.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Lexus said:
Although the cost of a show dog is pretty outrageous through Cambria.
After I read this, I had to go look and see how much they charged. :) Gotta say, I was kind of surprised, I actually thought they'd be charging more than that.

I think at this point in time, if you can find a top quality show prospect for less than $2500, you've gotten a bargain. This is especially true for novice show homes..once you've proven you'll hang in there and finish dogs, people tend to give you better prices.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I would do (and have done) the same. Go to a small breeder who puts a lot of thought and care into their breeding program and breeds very discriminately. Being relatively new to the breed (even with PLENTY of research), I would also hope to have the breeder relatively close so I have them as a valuable resource I can call upon for information and help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have not hesitated to point people in the direction of my girls' breeder. One of the soldiers who works with my husband chose his Doberman from her, and he and his family are thrilled with their girl.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
This thread got me looking at Mensa's pedigree.

When I was looking for a Pup a year ago, I invested much more effort researching breeders than Dobermans. Everybody I talked with said good things about Mensa's Breeder, so that's who I went with.

Now, after looking over Mensa's pedigree I'm even more convinced I made a good choice.

There are several of Cambria's Dobermans in Mensa's history. But what really surprised me was finding Royal Tudor's Wild As The Wind in there.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I know this is going to sound stupid but I already have a dog from my breeder of choice,Mischa's breeders Supeta Dobermanns they are really helpful and know their stuff and their health checks are brilliant,there is another one here that i would also choose and that is Aritaur Dobermanns,top people.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I like my breeders. Took awhile to find them. They are small and do not breed alot. I am waiting to get a bitch from them now.

DobeMom

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
brumwolf said:
I know this is going to sound stupid but I already have a dog from my breeder of choice
It doesn't sound stupid. I already do too.
I suggest doing lots of research too.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I'm sure someone on here will be able to put you on the right tracks for a working dog,maybe BiB she is into Sch with Ziris and Rommel if not there is bound to be someone on here near to you that has some info for you,good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dobesanddragons said:
It doesn't sound stupid. I already do too.
I suggest doing lots of research too.

I've got my three rescues and my two hands full so I am not looking right away. someday, I would like a Dabney dobe. I love their look. but that is more than a few years away. this was more of a what if you won the lottery type question.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
jennifersturgeon said:
can anyone recomend some show breeders? I'm looking to get a show quality female.

jen
The only "show quality" dogs are the ones who have earned 15 points and 2 majors. :) Seriously-until the dog has proven itself in the ring, it's all theoretical..when you look at puppies, they're billed as "show prospects", rather than "show quality". Meaning at that time they appear to be good candidates to mature into dogs that will be competitive.

A lot of show breeders have been mentioned on this thread alone. But really, the best thing to do is start going to shows in your area and look at the dogs. Buy a catalog and check out who the dogs are, and what their breeding is. Also, I'd suggest subscribing to Doberman Digest (you can subscribe online), and again..take some time to look at the dogs and their pedigrees. Sooner or later, you'll probably find the dogs that consistently catch your eye will come from one or two family groups...and that's how you start narrowing breeders down.

The reason I say this is there are a million "styles" of doberman, all of them fairly correct and close to standard. A few of us on here are currently showing dogs-all of them nice, good quality dogs-but there are a lot of differences in their appearance. You might as well take the time to find the style of dog that appeals to you the most.

I'd take at least six months, if not a year to research all of this (as well and health and longevity) before I made a decision about where to buy a show prospect.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Murreydobe said:
The only "show quality" dogs are the ones who have earned 15 points and 2 majors. :) Seriously-until the dog has proven itself in the ring, it's all theoretical..when you look at puppies, they're billed as "show prospects", rather than "show quality". Meaning at that time they appear to be good candidates to mature into dogs that will be competitive.

A lot of show breeders have been mentioned on this thread alone. But really, the best thing to do is start going to shows in your area and look at the dogs. Buy a catalog and check out who the dogs are, and what their breeding is. Also, I'd suggest subscribing to Doberman Digest (you can subscribe online), and again..take some time to look at the dogs and their pedigrees. Sooner or later, you'll probably find the dogs that consistently catch your eye will come from one or two family groups...and that's how you start narrowing breeders down.

The reason I say this is there are a million "styles" of doberman, all of them fairly correct and close to standard. A few of us on here are currently showing dogs-all of them nice, good quality dogs-but there are a lot of differences in their appearance. You might as well take the time to find the style of dog that appeals to you the most.

I'd take at least six months, if not a year to research all of this (as well and health and longevity) before I made a decision about where to buy a show prospect.
Amen! There is not a thing I could add to that.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I'd go back to Java's breeder, or someone she would recommend, in a minute. She doesn't breed often - once every two years, but those dogs are her life. The guest cottage Java was raised in was nicer than some people's homes. Washer and dryer in the cottage, always a load of puppy blankets being put through. Place always smelled clean even with 11 pups and two adults crated there. Sweetest temperament, which other than a clean bill of health was high on my list.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
JavasMom said:
I'd go back to Java's breeder, or someone she would recommend, in a minute. She doesn't breed often - once every two years, but those dogs are her life. The guest cottage Java was raised in was nicer than some people's homes. Washer and dryer in the cottage, always a load of puppy blankets being put through. Place always smelled clean even with 11 pups and two adults crated there. Sweetest temperament, which other than a clean bill of health was high on my list.
I prefer puppies be born and raised in the main household due to all the activity and attention that comes with being raised that location. I also prefer adults not be crated all the time, NEVER kept in pens outside away from their family/pack (as in kennel dogs only), but instead kept as much loved members in the household as much as possible:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts