Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A local all breed club is hosting a seminar with Inge in May, I am wanting to learn more and give it a try for Mabel's sake as she is a natural and loves it, i'm sure I will grow to love it as I have already warmed to and have started doing more box searches and am willing to start ground searches and tracks outside once I learn more, which is much more so than a few months ago when I would maybe once a month put about 10 boxes out begrudgingly and let her work.

Does anyone know if she is a person/offers a seminar worth attending?

Or are there better people or books than what she may offer.

It says she has been in the sport 10 years and earned her first CT in'09 and became a tracking judge last year.

I may not ever compete but in case I do decide to I don't want to mess up any ground work. So far I have not progressed beyond food and lavendar scent in about 30 boxes, but have a harness and a full grass acre at my disposal among other places I could find.

Oh poo ETA: her name is INGE not Iange Suchanek......

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? the deadline for registration is in 2 weeks

·
Registered
884 Posts
Here's my two cents about a working seminar.

I was interested in tracking and took a seminar to find out more about it. We all had working spots. I was hooked after the seminar. The seminar provided enough information to help determine if we wanted to continue with the sport (one person didn't like the ideas of ticks while tracking and thought it probably wasn't what she wanted to do).

Shortly after the seminar, I bought and read the Glen Johnson book and signed up for tracking lessons. If I only wanted to track for fun, probably the seminar and book together would have been enough to get me started. But since I thought I might compete someday, I wanted a good foundation - which my instructor has given me. After 6 months, I am still learning from her.

I don't know Inge, but based on her experience and because she is a tracking judge, I would think the seminar would be worthwhile - especially if you have a working spot. At the very least, it would be a good introduction to tracking.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I don't know anything about this person. Why don't you contact the seminar-giving club and see what they have to say although I'm guessing they'll say "Sure, come on."

Am I understanding that you have started nosework but not tracking? if it's in the budget, why not go? I enjoy seminars, myself and would like to go to a tracking one now that I have a dog that I am tracking.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's my two cents about a working seminar.

I was interested in tracking and took a seminar to find out more about it. We all had working spots. I was hooked after the seminar. The seminar provided enough information to help determine if we wanted to continue with the sport (one person didn't like the ideas of ticks while tracking and thought it probably wasn't what she wanted to do).

Shortly after the seminar, I bought and read the Glen Johnson book and signed up for tracking lessons. If I only wanted to track for fun, probably the seminar and book together would have been enough to get me started. But since I thought I might compete someday, I wanted a good foundation - which my instructor has given me. After 6 months, I am still learning from her.

I don't know Inge, but based on her experience and because she is a tracking judge, I would think the seminar would be worthwhile - especially if you have a working spot. At the very least, it would be a good introduction to tracking.

Thank you Thank you Thank you! that was somewhat what I was thinking that regardless it would be a better view of what to expect, and your answer really helps so i know more so what to look for.
I wont be putting mabel in a working spot(to much of a crowd for her yet) but my mom may be taking hannah, either way we will stay through the whole thing and watch others.

I don't know anything about this person. Why don't you contact the seminar-giving club and see what they have to say although I'm guessing they'll say "Sure, come on."

Am I understanding that you have started nosework but not tracking? if it's in the budget, why not go? I enjoy seminars, myself and would like to go to a tracking one now that I have a dog that I am tracking.
I figured that would be the response I would get if I contacted them so haven't bothered, and technically we have started nosework, it was never very serious but we did get a little training in level one. And thanks thats exactly right, the club is 5 mintues away and non working is only $25 so heck why not go, there must be something I can learn

:D thanks guys for reminding me if i'm interested but dont know much dont miss a learning opportunity, i'll let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thank you Thank you Thank you! that was somewhat what I was thinking that regardless it would be a better view of what to expect, and your answer really helps so i know more so what to look for.
I wont be putting mabel in a working spot(to much of a crowd for her yet) but my mom may be taking hannah, either way we will stay through the whole thing and watch others.

I figured that would be the response I would get if I contacted them so haven't bothered, and technically we have started nosework, it was never very serious but we did get a little training in level one. And thanks thats exactly right, the club is 5 mintues away and non working is only $25 so heck why not go, there must be something I can learn

:D thanks guys for reminding me if i'm interested but dont know much dont miss a learning opportunity, i'll let ya know how it goes.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the seminar.

I'm kicking myself today for missing a Nosework seminar this weekend. We are getting ready for an upcoming trial and I missed an opportunity to learn from one of the founders of K9 Nosework.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts