Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 month old male gets hot and pants rather quickly. I live in the south but I have never seen a dog get hot that fast. He stays inside but on a walk he tires rather quickly. He acts fine,but I'm not sure. Anybody else seen this?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
it is not normal for such a young male doberman to tire 'easily'.

Though he is young to be showing signs of a low thyroid or heart issue................

It would be a good idea to have him checked over by your Vet.

Hugz to Tito!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My dogs have all had a more difficult time the first summer than any other summer and my Dobes have never tolerated heat that well. Also when I take Flirt for a walk she gets so excited that in itself can make her get tired faster than say taking her where she can just run.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gunner tends to get tired very easily in the heat. We live in south Georgia where it's always really hot and humid this time of year. He's only 11 months old and is healthy, but he does pant really fast if we play hard outside. I usually limit him to about 5 tennis ball throws at a time. Otherwise I'm afraid he might hurt himself since he runs so hard and fast to chase them. As soon as we come inside, I crate him and he will usually pant hard for a few minutes until he cools down. On our morning walks I don't notice the fast panting, but we go when it is cooler and we take breaks as needed.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I am not in a humid climate.

That said, I have not noticed any excess panting with either of our dogs.

BUT...they are black (and rust) and their coats get hot very quickly. VERY quickly. And that does lead them to get hot and to pant as a result.

So I try to keep them out of the sun and heat when they are exerting themselves.

If you have a funny feeling about it, I would for sure have your vet check the dog out.

It is also the case that there is no way for us to know how much exertion your dog is getting when you believe he is prematurely hot and panting. 7 months is still a puppy, no matter how big he is, and he'll still be a growing dog for many months to come. No forced exercise, including walks that are longer than the dog can manage easily. And we have to judge that; often these dogs have drive such that they simply will NOT quit, no matter how far beyond their actual capacity an activity has become.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
If you are in Louisiana, its hot, especially if you are in the southern part. Your pup is staying in air conditioning and then going out into the heat. Its going to affect him quickly.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 22 month old boy has the same problem ever since he I got him at 10 weeks of age. I just spoke to my vet about this earlier this week. She says its normal in the case of my boy. She does not recommend strenuous exercise when temps get above 80 plus degrees. She told me to regulate his activities and have plenty of water to cool him off. It is strange that my other two Dobes did not have this problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quinn doesn't do well in the heat at all. He has a wading pool to cool off in outside. I just ordered him a cooling vest. I don't think we will be able to go for walks until it gets here.

·
Maximus Odin Aurelius
549 Posts
We're in So. Florida so it's hot. During the spring/summer months, I walk him in the morning or evening. I limit his playtime outside to 20 minutes at a time. He get hot extremely fast and always has. He's two and in good health, it's just hot and humid. If I am sweating, then he must be hot too.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Check his thyroid. When it's too high or low, dogs have a difficult time regulating their body temps. They tire quickly in the heat, and shiver in the cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts