Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy is now 8 wks on Fri (we've had him for 2 wks - too early but we didn't know) and we've seemed to have a great experience with his transition. He loves everyone, isn't too shy and listens to basic commands. I just picked up a clicker and want to start some more positive reinforcement training.

My bf on the other hand, prefers to train differently (without clicker).

Will me using clicker training while he doesn't confuse the pup?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
A lot can be said for family member consistency...in puppy expectations.
But:
I train with toys and the game becomes the excitment to eye focus on me and listen to my words.
I train with verbal words, changing the pitch....I like to talk to puppy a lot
- even whisper a few times, when we are in bed
I train with sign language to, in conjunction with the words, then discontinue the words, to puppy proof.
(I don't train with treats or use a clicker...but don't intend to discourage it)

So I like lots of fun engaging variety...anything positive based, will be great.
- 2 methods should be better than 1...all learning, end with method that works best

More puppy reading - follow my post #2:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68447-first-dobie.html

Will me using clicker training while he doesn't confuse the pup? -----> I would say No (probably like kids learning a second language, in school)

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would say it might lead to confusion. I use the clicker as well as verbal cues (eventually going only to verbal). But while training, I imagine the dog would be waiting for the click and treating verbal praise without the click as an "oops" which may be confusing for him.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
As long as you use a positive word at the same time with the clicker there shouldn't be to much confusion. Popular word would be "YES" while you click a wanted behavior. So if your bf doesn't want to use the clicker, agree on a marker word and all should be good.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
How does your BF want to train? Are you using the same overall methods?

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
If you mean one of you uses a clicker and one a marker word, that's entirely compatible. I use both with Shanoa.

If one of you wants to clicker train and one wants to use correction methods, I don't think those are particularly compatible and can be pretty confusing for the dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does your BF want to train? Are you using the same overall methods?

I don't know how you would explain the traditional methods he wants to use. Moreso scaring him into submission, dominance, etc but he tries to incorporate positive and play.

We use the same marker words.

I think mainly our biggest issue will be the kids. I have 2 boys and he has 2 girls. They aren't there 24/7, but when they are - my concern is they will not know how to discipline. I try not to have the dog with them alone EVER.

Trying to train them to train the dog which I fear will be just a complete chaotic mess... I'm exhausted thinking about it!:roflmao:

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
I don't know how you would explain the traditional methods he wants to use. Moreso scaring him into submission, dominance, etc but he tries to incorporate positive and play.

In my opinion not only not compatible, but outdated. Puppies should not be scared into submission or "dominated." Do some reading on how outdated those methods are. You'll just end up with a pup that's timid and doesn't trust you. Puppies, like babies, shouldn't be deliberately frightened.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Pick up a copy of Pat Miller's "The Power of Positive Dog Training," and Patricia McConnell's "The Other End of the Leash" to start with. I also really, really like "The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training." I think your boyfriend would benefit from reading these (you, too!).

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Please tell your BF to stop this :)

Everything you do now, with your puppy, will how a profound impact on his future development/behavior. Keep everything positive, happy, fun. You can still accomplish structure and rules while keeping it fun and positive.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

We use the same marker words.

I think mainly our biggest issue will be the kids. I have 2 boys and he has 2 girls. They aren't there 24/7, but when they are - my concern is they will not know how to discipline. I try not to have the dog with them alone EVER.

Trying to train them to train the dog which I fear will be just a complete chaotic mess... I'm exhausted thinking about it!:roflmao:
personally, and I'm VERY controlling when it comes to my dogs, I would not only NOT allow it period. And yes it wil confuse the dog and I see no good coming from his 'training methods.'

I'd try educating him gently on the subject if at all possible.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I agree. The "dominating" and scaring the pup into submission needs to stop for the benefit of the pup's confidence and soundness of mind as he matures.

Sometimes other people in our lives don't want to be told they're doing something less than desirably and they may get defensive. If your BF balks at being told he needs to lighten up and focus on positive training, try enrolling them in a training class together so someone with more authority on the subject of dog training can tell him he's wrong. :)

I'm with Adara though. My BF would NEVER be allowed to handle any dog of mine like that. Thankfully he wouldn't anyway, he's more likely to encourage naughtiness and brattiness by always thinking it's funny. *sigh* :rolleyesww: But I do not tolerate intimidation tactics with my animals.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts

We use the same marker words..........
OMG - have hubby read these posts / great DT advice, from all above.

Your loving pup is now 8 weeks old, BUT:
- big mistake, pup needed to stay with its real 4-legged teaching mom, for an additional 2 weeks.
Pup should never come into a new home, early...now behind the 8-Ball, due to owners....not really pups fault IMO.

You both need to incorporate the positive and hours of daily play & mental stimulation.
Male of the house, scaring him into submission & dominance...WILL ruin your dober baby, quickly...just BS shaping period.

There is a difference between a Karate Black Belt person that has the confidence to avoid a fight and a plain thug that will pick a fight, for litttle reason...or has a short fuse...and acts out is will accordingly...on a defensive 4-legged baby.
- one man is more hollow or insecure (or just need training classes himself, in OB) while the opposite displays trained confidence & skill (from day1)...and the pup learns quickly, with real leadership, in a most fun enviroment...and will want to please and excel (only the ones they honestly respect), given full and displayed LOVE, daily from all family members

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pick up a copy of Pat Miller's "The Power of Positive Dog Training," and Patricia McConnell's "The Other End of the Leash" to start with. I also really, really like "The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training." I think your boyfriend would benefit from reading these (you, too!).
Thank you so much! I'm trying to get him into it. He's a bit stubborn on other methods cause he had such a great experience training his childhood dogs that way. I fear the pup ending up anxious and distrustful too. I don't think he needs to be submissive so much as a good listener. I'm working with him on clicker training now and is doing absolutely wonderful. Haven't moved him to do it much outdoors because he's WAY too fascinated with every flipping plant and weed in existence. And we basically live on acres of land. :( I'll check out these books for sure!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: mixed cues - Dobes are smart. My husband and I are on different planets when it comes to signals, verbal cues etc. We are both positive trainers but that's where it ends. None of the dogs we have had the grace to own jointly (Collie, Shepherd mix, 3 Dobes) has had any problem shifting gears between us.

When Jersey is with me, she walks the way we walk together, she knows the kinds of things we're going to do together etc. When she's with my husband, she's got a whole different routine and that's fine. She's doing what she's supposed to do with each of us and she's not confused a bit.

As for the kids, I never wanted my son to discipline our dogs. That was an adult's job! Rather than teaching them to correct a puppy, teach them how to treat a puppy with care, compassion and respect. Until you're sure your kids understand this, you should always be with them and the puppy, to guide them. (If they tell the pup to sit and it doesn't do it, no worries. As long as the puppy responds to you, that's the main thing. Sometimes it's better if the dogs don't do every harebrained thing that the kids come up with. LOL. )

As for having a puppy at 6 wks rather than 8, I believe (somebody may correct me please?) that the pup missed the window where it learns how to behave with other dogs -- and if that's so, then you should probably make sure you get some puppy / puppy play time lined up -- Puppy kindergarten is probably a great idea for the dog and for your BF. :)

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
I read somewhere that dogs could have more than one handler, but only one trainer. Is it appropriate that you and your bf should both be training?

(And if there is a good video on training your way, what about insisting that all the kids watch it before they spend any time with the puppy. They might take it better from an outside source.)

Set up some basic ground rules for everyone & work from there.
Kate

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally think that every family member needs to be using the same methods for training or the puppy will favor one over the other, and be more reliable with them. Not only that but the expectation for dog behavior needs to be 100% consistant. of one person excepts the pup to hold a sit and one is marking as soon as the bum touches the ground and then rewarding you'll be set up for failure and confusion. If someone allows him on the furniture and the other does not, bad combo. If someone says stay and expects it to be held until released and the other is saying stay, stay, stay, stay... not good. You should communicate extensively on how you want your puppy trained and what its expectations are. If you cannot come to a mutual agreement, find a trainer you both like and follow their instructions to a T.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts