Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the thing I could be completely just seeing things but Diesel is so much better with my boyfriend then me. I come home and get jumped on and eaten and just got barked at to the point I had to have my boyfriend get him off Me cause I didn't know what his deal was. He's never done that to me ever and it makes me want to cry. I'm not sure if it's because he's with him at night and I only have him all day Saturday and Sunday and he likes me then but during the week I feel like he hates me and just wants to eat me. Am I doing something wrong? I'm the one who trains him for the most part to try to bond with him (my boyfriend uses what i do during the day but i teach all the new stuff) and I take him for his long walk at night and try to play with him but nothing seems to make him like me except on the weekends. We got him as a part of our family but also to protect me when my boyfriend is out of town but I feel like he wouldn't cause he doesn't like me. Maybe I'm just nuts and he's too young for me to even feel that way. Just makes me sad cause I love him to death.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,428 Posts
I guess you're sure he is barking at you like he would bark at a stranger and not just because he's really excited to see you? A puppy that age more often barks because of uncertainty or excitement, not because of aggression. Puppies often use their mouths for EVERYTHING, including a happy greeting. They may nip and nibble (and bite) and gnaw on you til you are sore, but that doesn't mean they hate you.

Your boyfriend is likely used to your puppy's patterns, can tell when he should work on calming him down, when he should reward him and how to get a good response from him--that's just from being around him more. Naturally at this point the puppy is more bonded to your boyfriend, but that doesn't mean he won't bond with you too.

Are you actually taking training classes with him or just trying to teach him on your own? Once he has had his shots and is cleared to be around other dogs, I would recommend training classes for you and your pup, for several reasons.

1. Training builds a relationship and affection between owner and dog. You learn to understand each other and work together as a team.
2. Training would teach you how to react when your puppy is getting obnoxious with you, how to use distraction to forestall bad behavior and what kind of discipline might work for different problems.
3. A good trainer could make sure you are staying on the right track with your training and not overwhelming your puppy by being too strict or expecting too much of him in this baby stage.

You could try greeting your pup with a toy, or tiny treat when you come home. Let him come to you at his own speed and don't overwhelm him by rushing at him. You love him with all your heart and want to immediately smooch him; it's possible he may need a little more time before he is ready to approach calmly and confidently.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you're sure he is barking at you like he would bark at a stranger and not just because he's really excited to see you? A puppy that age more often barks because of uncertainty or excitement, not because of aggression. Puppies often use their mouths for EVERYTHING, including a happy greeting. They may nip and nibble (and bite) and gnaw on you til you are sore, but that doesn't mean they hate you.

Your boyfriend is likely used to your puppy's patterns, can tell when he should work on calming him down, when he should reward him and how to get a good response from him--that's just from being around him more. Naturally at this point the puppy is more bonded to your boyfriend, but that doesn't mean he won't bond with you too.

Are you actually taking training classes with him or just trying to teach him on your own? Once he has had his shots and is cleared to be around other dogs, I would recommend training classes for you and your pup, for several reasons.

1. Training builds a relationship and affection between owner and dog. You learn to understand each other and work together as a team.
2. Training would teach you how to react when your puppy is getting obnoxious with you, how to use distraction to forestall bad behavior and what kind of discipline might work for different problems.
3. A good trainer could make sure you are staying on the right track with your training and not overwhelming your puppy by being too strict or expecting too much of him in this baby stage.

You could try greeting your pup with a toy, or tiny treat when you come home. Let him come to you at his own speed and don't overwhelm him by rushing at him. You love him with all your heart and want to immediately smooch him; it's possible he may need a little more time before he is ready to approach calmly and confidently.

It could've been he was excited to see me. He was all in my face which he has never done before so I was shocked. I didn't think of any of the biting or barking as being an excitement thing. I'll try to think of it that way.

I guess part of me if jealous he bonded so quickly with him when we first got him it was me who he liked more but then naturally I had to go back to work.

I am just doing basic stuff until he has all his shots so he can go to a training class. I am enrolling him this week for classes. We decides that I'll take him so I get time with him I'm trying to find the right trainer now.

Hes very happy to greet me when I come home. He comes right up to me and licks me and waits for me to put my stuff down to say hello but then sometime after that is when he starts going nuts and running at me and biting me. It's just frustrating I guess. Hopefully classes will help him and me really get to know each other.

Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Hes very happy to greet me when I come home. He comes right up to me and licks me and waits for me to put my stuff down to say hello but then sometime after that is when he starts going nuts and running at me and biting me.

Sounds like he is happy to see you and he is saying "Hey, where have you been? Lets play!" Teaching new tricks, fetch, tug or short training session. I could be wrong but it seems he is trying to interact and you need to teach him to do it in a constructive way.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Hes very happy to greet me when I come home. He comes right up to me and licks me and waits for me to put my stuff down to say hello but then sometime after that is when he starts going nuts and running at me and biting me.

Sounds like he is happy to see you and he is saying "Hey, where have you been? Lets play!" Teaching new tricks, fetch, tug or short training session. I could be wrong but it seems he is trying to interact and you need to teach him to do it in a constructive way.
Exactly, same way I see it. It is his version of greeting as a pup and has to learn to do it with manners, to some extent hehehe
I have Nubis greet everyone by sitting even myself, but I will let him do circle zoomies in front of me, as I smack his side and neck and he gives me love grunts. He gets it out of his system, and is happy and I am controlling it.
Now when he was way younger, he mouthed and was bitey but I then would end play.
Dogs love to play but have to learn when it's time for play and a time for work.
As a good leader you can do both and they will respect you even more.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I agree with Melbrod and Herb2relax. I think he's excited to see you in puppy communication form and you're reading too much into it from a human emotional perspective. Kinda like how a toddler annoys the daylights out of their mom but you drop them off with grandma and grandpa for an hour and they're an angel. They love grandma and grandpa, but you're mom and mom is the center of the universe and gets ALL the attention whether sweet and loving or miserable and bratty. Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Re Quote:...I feel like he hates me and just wants to eat me.

Diesel does love you, but your inaccurate feelings (to some degree) may be undermining and felt by your boy some...if so, just "stop-it".

I've had 2 dobes, from 8 week old pups through senior years...and my dobes would not do well without me.
a) Dad did all the training
b) Dad did all the rough house & majority of play time
c) Mom does the pet home cooking
d) Both of us, went on dog walks together

Our dogs are stuck on me and love my wife dearly...but their is a different relationship.
- and it stems from the activity level, I put in some order of importance...a) & b) are very high level bonders
My dog knows my wife is the most loving soul she could of ever wished for (in a Mom)...and she respects her totally.
- Amy also put her life on the line, protecting my wife from a dog bite once / and it wouldn't happen without the sharing of mutual love
Yes - there can be slightly different dynamics in a home with a dog, and all can be good.
- just be positive / your dogs affection, doesn't need to be graded...just have FUN, and it will all work out, in your favor...with the right attitude

My son loves both his Mom & Dad, but in different ways...completely normal.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I can definitely relate to your posts... both this one and the other recent "the biting must stop" one. :)

My girl is now 2 1/2 years old, but I will say those first 4 months or so with her were trying. Very trying. She is very bold and assertive and her biting was intense. We used all the recommended techniques with her, but she was definitely a challenge. My husband's way of interacting with her resulted in her being less bitey / in his face, then with me. Lucy seriously pushed me to my limits and brought me to tears many times as a pup. And I probably still have some scars from her baby shark teeth. LOL.

But in time, she learned and we got past it. Now, it seems like a lifetime ago. But trust me, I can completely appreciate what you are dealing with right now!!

Like others have already stated, it could be excitement that your pup is expressing when he sees you. It's hard to say. I agree with Melbrod's post - some really good ideas there. I think training with your dog in particular is so valuable. I have been the primary caretaker with our girl and do all the training which has had a huge positive impact on our bonding.

I know I am not giving any real advice here, but I would just say hang in there. I bet before you know it, things will turn around and your pup will be out of the biting phase and things will get much better. I wish you the very best!!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
It sounds to me like when you get home and put your stuff down thats the signal to your pup that "It's on!" Meaning playtime, of course. I would work with him to calm him down when you first get home as you wont always be able to walk in the door and start playing with him. So, you dont want to teach him to expect it. I would start by turning your back on him when he charges you. Just keep turning to keep your back to him till he calms down. Then treat his calm state with treat or a calm "Good boy" with a slow head or neck stroke. Dont pet or greet him till he calms down. When you speak to him, speak in low tones. Dont baby talk or speak to him in a high excited voice as those tones will excite him. When he does bite you, dont squeal or shriek, use a low calm authoritative voice and tell him to stop and stuff a stuffy into his mouth. Stuffies should always be handy to stuff in a biting mouth. Biting is a stage and it will pass if you discourage it. This should get you started till classtime.:)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sometimes when Axel has been playing, and I'm where he can reach me, he'll just run up, bite, I'll yelp, and he'll run away! One time I was sitting on the floor sorting laundry, and he ran up behind me, bit my ponytail, and pulled! He's just figuring out his boundaries and sometimes excitement prevents clear thinking. He hasn't hurt me, but we're still working on the manners anyway.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I hope that's what he's trying to do. I love playing with him just not when he's trying to eat my face :roflmao:

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly, same way I see it. It is his version of greeting as a pup and has to learn to do it with manners, to some extent hehehe
I have Nubis greet everyone by sitting even myself, but I will let him do circle zoomies in front of me, as I smack his side and neck and he gives me love grunts. He gets it out of his system, and is happy and I am controlling it.
Now when he was way younger, he mouthed and was bitey but I then would end play.
Dogs love to play but have to learn when it's time for play and a time for work.
As a good leader you can do both and they will respect you even more.
That's how I would love for him to be. I love getting a big hello from him but I'm not sure how to make him realize that biting me wont get me to play with him.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with Melbrod and Herb2relax. I think he's excited to see you in puppy communication form and you're reading too much into it from a human emotional perspective. Kinda like how a toddler annoys the daylights out of their mom but you drop them off with grandma and grandpa for an hour and they're an angel. They love grandma and grandpa, but you're mom and mom is the center of the universe and gets ALL the attention whether sweet and loving or miserable and bratty. Enjoy. :)
I love how you put that. I'm sure I am reading too far into it. I was just sad to see him love all on daddy and then I get the bratty side as you said haha

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re Quote:...I feel like he hates me and just wants to eat me.

Diesel does love you, but your inaccurate feelings (to some degree) may be undermining and felt by your boy some...if so, just "stop-it".

I've had 2 dobes, from 8 week old pups through senior years...and my dobes would not do well without me.
a) Dad did all the training
b) Dad did all the rough house & majority of play time
c) Mom does the pet home cooking
d) Both of us, went on dog walks together

Our dogs are stuck on me and love my wife dearly...but their is a different relationship.
- and it stems from the activity level, I put in some order of importance...a) & b) are very high level bonders
My dog knows my wife is the most loving soul she could of ever wished for (in a Mom)...and she respects her totally.
- Amy also put her life on the line, protecting my wife from a dog bite once / and it wouldn't happen without the sharing of mutual love
Yes - there can be slightly different dynamics in a home with a dog, and all can be good.
- just be positive / your dogs affection, doesn't need to be graded...just have FUN, and it will all work out, in your favor...with the right attitude

My son loves both his Mom & Dad, but in different ways...completely normal.
That actually makes me feel much better to know that it's just a different relationship but that he still loves me. I need to tell myself that. Oh course dad is more fun cause they rough around all day and I'm just good for cuddles :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can definitely relate to your posts... both this one and the other recent "the biting must stop" one. :)

My girl is now 2 1/2 years old, but I will say those first 4 months or so with her were trying. Very trying. She is very bold and assertive and her biting was intense. We used all the recommended techniques with her, but she was definitely a challenge. My husband's way of interacting with her resulted in her being less bitey / in his face, then with me. Lucy seriously pushed me to my limits and brought me to tears many times as a pup. And I probably still have some scars from her baby shark teeth. LOL.

But in time, she learned and we got past it. Now, it seems like a lifetime ago. But trust me, I can completely appreciate what you are dealing with right now!!

Like others have already stated, it could be excitement that your pup is expressing when he sees you. It's hard to say. I agree with Melbrod's post - some really good ideas there. I think training with your dog in particular is so valuable. I have been the primary caretaker with our girl and do all the training which has had a huge positive impact on our bonding.

I know I am not giving any real advice here, but I would just say hang in there. I bet before you know it, things will turn around and your pup will be out of the biting phase and things will get much better. I wish you the very best!!
That does sound a lot like me and Diesel! It's good to know it gets better. I have been very close to crying from him being so rough with me and being so close to his dad. I think it's harder cause I'm the one who trains him now and will be when we take him to class and I'm the one who makes him yummy treats and does all this stuff for him and it's almost like a slap in the face when the puppy teeth come out but daddy gets all the cuddles. I will say at night when we're sleeping he'd much rather sleep on me which makes me feel somewhat better.

Thank you for your help and sharing your story :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It sounds to me like when you get home and put your stuff down thats the signal to your pup that "It's on!" Meaning playtime, of course. I would work with him to calm him down when you first get home as you wont always be able to walk in the door and start playing with him. So, you dont want to teach him to expect it. I would start by turning your back on him when he charges you. Just keep turning to keep your back to him till he calms down. Then treat his calm state with treat or a calm "Good boy" with a slow head or neck stroke. Dont pet or greet him till he calms down. When you speak to him, speak in low tones. Dont baby talk or speak to him in a high excited voice as those tones will excite him. When he does bite you, dont squeal or shriek, use a low calm authoritative voice and tell him to stop and stuff a stuffy into his mouth. Stuffies should always be handy to stuff in a biting mouth. Biting is a stage and it will pass if you discourage it. This should get you started till classtime.:)
I completely agree. I think he has my routine down. He knows I walk in I say hello just with my voice, put my stuff down, take my coat off and then I say hello and I think to him like you said "it's on" I will try turning my back to him. I completely forgot about that technique. I'll try the talking calmly too and in low tones. I have a tendency to be loud when he bites which I think makes him want to do it even more.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sometimes when Axel has been playing, and I'm where he can reach me, he'll just run up, bite, I'll yelp, and he'll run away! One time I was sitting on the floor sorting laundry, and he ran up behind me, bit my ponytail, and pulled! He's just figuring out his boundaries and sometimes excitement prevents clear thinking. He hasn't hurt me, but we're still working on the manners anyway.
I've learned laundry on the floor is never going to happen while he's a puppy haha he loves to get my hair from behind too. I try to yelp but for Diesel I think he thinks that's fun cause he comes right back which is frustrating for me. It's like I can't get away haha it's only been 2 weeks so I'm sure it takes time but those sharp teeth are driving me nuts!

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Juno's almost 7 months? And still does the lick/bite combination when she's overly excitd. I put her in a down, and make her wait until she's calm. I know he's young and that's hard to do, but work on it. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
That actually makes me feel much better to know that it's just a different relationship but that he still loves me. I need to tell myself that. Oh course dad is more fun cause they rough around all day and I'm just good for cuddles :)
Keep in mind too that after a day full of having fun and rough housing, your pup may be TIRED. When mine is tired (at around 5:30pm e.v.e.r.y.day) she is more in my face, jumpy and bitey and very very bratty. They are just like children and when they get tired they act out too. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts