Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now convinced Koda thinks he's a cat! We have about 6 or 7 and really, I think he's incredible since there have been no casualties due to his excited interest in them. But seriously, I am a little bit concerned that he has not become suspicious of strangers who enter our property as I would have hoped. Ok, people are naturally weary of him, but he welcomes EVERYONE with usually an excited lick, a sprint around the garden after which I gain physical control of him because he might otherwise knock them over. I think he is territorial when it comes to other stray dogs that roam our village and pass us by. But I must say it worries me a bit that a stranger could in fact jump our fence and break into our house without Koda doing a thing. Mmm...a bit puzzled.

Any comments/ideas on what you think I should do to 'make him a little bit more aggressive towards strangers who have no business in our yard?'

:rolleyesww:

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I don't think you want to start training your dog to be aggressive. Could backfire.

A lot of people will likely think twice of coming on your property if they saw your dog. Otherwise, if they want to break into your place that bad there's always ways to deal with even an aggressive dog....like a baseball bat or a gun.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
How does he think he's a cat?

How old is he?

Dobermans have a natural protection instinct. They know how to sense a threat. This is instinctual. It does not need to be taught. However; I suppose it does vary depending on the dog.

I wouldn't encourage teaching your dog to be aggressive...at all.

On a side-note - I often think my Doberman is on a slow transformation into a feline.

Jasmine just hanging out with a cat toy in her mouth.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
A few things - he may surprise you if someone does break in vs being invited in. And I would NOT train him to be aggressive. That could backfire.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
I agree with AlyssaN. Count yourself lucky. I have a HIGHLY reactive bitch (Ilka), and believe you me, it is no fun having to manage her sometimes. She is no longer allowed out in the yard unattended, because she can, and will, climb my fence. She is not to be trusted around kids, other than my own. She is not to be trusted around dogs, again, other than my own. She is overly protective of the house and yard. I'd LOVE to have her be a happy-go-lucky, friendly dog who greets everyone with a wagging tail and upbeat "I like you" attitude. I'd even be happy to have her be a quiet, reserved dog, who will politely ignore everyone. Instead, I have to be very careful about who I allow her to meet, and ever vigilant when I take her out in public.

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
Does Koda bark, if a stranger comes to the front door of the house ??
- this is your chance to build up his natural instincts
- say, what is it, show mom, good boy, and also use the command ENOUGH, to shut it off when needed

^^^^ If the house protection isn't there, similar outside barking at strangers may be a stretch.
- if Koda learns to do it properly inside, the outside improvements should start to come out

·
No Longer on DT
92 Posts
I am now convinced Koda thinks he's a cat! We have about 6 or 7 and really, I think he's incredible since there have been no casualties due to his excited interest in them. But seriously, I am a little bit concerned that he has not become suspicious of strangers who enter our property as I would have hoped. Ok, people are naturally weary of him, but he welcomes EVERYONE with usually an excited lick, a sprint around the garden after which I gain physical control of him because he might otherwise knock them over. I think he is territorial when it comes to other stray dogs that roam our village and pass us by. But I must say it worries me a bit that a stranger could in fact jump our fence and break into our house without Koda doing a thing. Mmm...a bit puzzled.

Any comments/ideas on what you think I should do to 'make him a little bit more aggressive towards strangers who have no business in our yard?'

:rolleyesww:
I went through the same situation with Aries. I talked to other Dobe owners (two on my street) and was told they grow into that security. It was about 7 months old when he learned his big dog bark, that startled even me when it finally came out. He's a year old now and for only a couple months he's turned into watching and announcing that anything is going on or anyone is walking or coming by. My experience says sit tight and watch him grow. And like you, everyone around is more alert and afraid of the image of a dobe.

I've seen what Aries looks like when he's in full alert and defending mode. I trapped and relocated a nuisance raccoon. Aries went up to the trap and went into that mode and I was shocked at what he could look like, sound like, and perhaps would be capable of. I don't worry so much anymore.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your comment.
Koda does however bark to be next to me ALL THE TIME! If I am not within 5 yards of him, he becomes unsettled and barks for my attention. Not quite sure how to deal with this. Sometimes I even have to take him to the washroom with me! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, he's a red blooded male Dobe just like any other and I admire the way he allows some of the cats to come up and rube themselves against him. The kittens are game for him and this we need to watch. The older cats sort him out when he comes to close to them and he's weary of them. I think this is because we have continually reprimanded him when he 'aggressed' them when they were kittens. We now have 13 cats! (not my choice!!) And basically in the grand scheme of things, in the pack order we have positioned him beneath the cats. This he respects but with the kittens we need to be aware.:p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Exactly what I think! I have seen him when other stray dogs aggress him. He becomes totally transformed into a killing machine!:p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I must say Koda is a bit of a beach bum vagabond who happens to also be very athletic and attentive. Unfortunately his recall is not good and I therefore need to tether him when I take him to the beach. But I think it's the right thing to do anyway when you are in public. When I swim him in the sea, or take him to a vacant area I allow him to be free. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does Koda bark, if a stranger comes to the front door of the house ??
- this is your chance to build up his natural instincts
- say, what is it, show mom, good boy, and also use the command ENOUGH, to shut it off when needed

^^^^ If the house protection isn't there, similar outside barking at strangers may be a stretch.
- if Koda learns to do it properly inside, the outside improvements should start to come out

Thank you! I will try that. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
He's just a baby, give him time. :)

My dogs are selectively protective of our home. The little guy barks, but the big ones (and the dachshund) don't make a peep.

However, if I am outside with them and a strange car pulls up, they bark like crazy. If a stranger comes to the door, they bark and growl.

I didn't teach them to do this - they just figured it out on their own. Personally I think it's a little unnerving that they can remember the sounds of individual cars, and the way people knock. They know right away whether its a stranger or not.

One time, my aunt came over and left some houseplants on the table. I wasn't home. She knocked, no answer, so she came in. Neither dog even greeted her - they just lifted their heads of the couch and looked at her, then went back to sleep. (Clearly I have raised some vicious animals... :p )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts