Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to leave Wonder with my family for a few days last weekend and they informed me that he a was a little angel while I was gone. I get back, and he's back to being a wild man again. I can be a pretty intense person and tend to stress out, am I making him worse? It's really discouraging if I am, as I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. It effects him when we're out with people and it effects his behavior at home.

Anyone have any ideas how I can calm myself to help calm my dog? I need to learn "quiet hands" and a quiet voice to start with, but any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
All I can suggest is to keep his exercise up. I've also learned how sensitive Dobes are to their raised master's voice. I'm not a yeller to begin with but now find that a soft but firm tone gets Java's attention. If I yell she just heads for the hills - like a teenager. When I started talking to Java as if she was a toddler learning about the world, it made life easier. Dobes really do want to please their owners. Maybe an obedience class might help teach you how to get the desired response from Wonder - even a one-on-one with a trainer?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I had to leave Wonder with my family for a few days last weekend and they informed me that he a was a little angel while I was gone. I get back, and he's back to being a wild man again. I can be a pretty intense person and tend to stress out, am I making him worse? It's really discouraging if I am, as I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. It effects him when we're out with people and it effects his behavior at home.

Anyone have any ideas how I can calm myself to help calm my dog? I need to learn "quiet hands" and a quiet voice to start with, but any other ideas?
Good chance he was a "little angel" because it was a new environment he wasn't 100% confident in..this is no different than the honeymoon period you see with rescue dogs immediately after placement.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True MurreyDobe, but I live with my family. He was raised here, I just wasn't home for a few days. Maybe that made him nervous?

Java - This is our second class currently. He's an obedience star in class, but hell on wheels at home. :)

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Breathe deeply.... Sounds simple, but seriously... We know you're a great owner, but maybe he's in your life to teach you something! I have a parrot and they also are extremely in tune with body language. When approaching, you should do so with consciously calm energy so they will be calm.

Of course we know you'll exercise and train. You have to be a calm, firm leader. So honestly, breeeeathe, ground yourself, try to move more slowly and with intention. Just an exercise... it will become more of a habit the more you do it. Maybe try yoga- great for intention, breathing, body awarenes... I think I'd trust your instincts here... I don't think you're stressing him out necessarily, but he may just be feeding off your energy.

Don't ignore the fact that he is a puppy though and was also excited to see you! And don't forget to praise quietly and give (calm) love when he's being quiet and good. I say this all the time because it's just sooo vital and made a huge difference with our spazzy Henneh girl.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Maybe when they said he was a little angel, they were lying? LOL! I am generally a nervous person and I worry all the time. I teach 7th and 8th grade math and it was beginning to become VERY stressful. I got a Doberman puppy 2 years ago to help teach me patience and that "Sh*t Happens" and I can't always be in control of every situation. I am happy to say that being in charge of 12 & 13 year olds (especially those girls!) has helped me be in control of my dog. On the same note, having a dog has helped me relax and take more things as they come. After all, no one plans on coming home to diarea, or a dog who has chewed his own bed to shreds... sometimes, you just need to relax and let things happen to you instead of worrying about what's going to happen next! :butfly:

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I need to learn "quiet hands" and a quiet voice to start with, but any other ideas?
Dont' forget "quiet eyes".... This is something we use when we are rockclimbing- you 'soften' your gaze, which helps you relax when tense.

You may already do this, but wanted to add- be sure you and he are both calm before fun/rewarding things happen. He's good at obedience - so use that to your advantage. When we get ready to go for a walk, H has to sit calmly, without whining, before I even put her collar on. Then she has to sit calm and quiet before we take a step out the gate. She cannot pull me, she cannot whine, or we stop. This has helped immensely! She used to be CRAZY, frenzied, frantic, squealing! I know he's still a pup, so modify as needed, but I think the more you can do now, the easier on you in the long run.

It takes time and a LOT of patience but it is so incredibly worth it. It has helped her practice settling down, too. She really didn't know how to do that when she was younger and first living with me. You get the idea - calm, quiet before she gets released to eat. Calm, quiet before she exits/enters the car. Calm, quiet before I'll even look at her when I come home. It's much easier to just let them go, but I've been strict and it's paid off! For her, I can't often verbally praise if she's being good, like say before a walk. If I do, she often tenses and whines again. So her reward is getting to go! Frankie is different... But she's my zen girl anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts