Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning to adopt 1 year old male Doberman from people who decided that he needs better home.
We did own female 1990-1998 and after she died of cancer it took us 4 years to get another dog (dachshund) he unfortunatelly died earlier this year after spine injury :(

Is there anything special we should be careful while purchasing/adopting 1 year old male?
Our previous dogs were both small puppies when we got them.

Thanks

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hi and welcome to DT!!!

just make sure you are the right home for this dog.....so sad his owners no longer want him. :(

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome to DT! While very rewarding, dog rescue and adoption can be hit or miss. You can find absolute amazing dogs, and you can also get caught by surprise with certain issues that pop up once the dog gets comfortable and confident in its new home. Just make sure the people are being totally honest and up front with you about this male's quirks and traits so you are better prepared. Lying and sugar-coating doesn't help the dog or the new owner, I've been on the receiving end of it and it can be extremely frustrating. I adopted an adult German Shepherd who is the sweetest dog I have ever owned.The awesome thing about adult dogs is they are generally house and crate trained :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies folks!
I did get more information from the owner and I was told that the dog is from reputable CKC breeder but the dog is not registered ??? ( I have the name but don't want to share it in public)
Also there is no health records - apparently lost them :(
On the other hand they did volunteered info that the dog was hit by car and his lung collapsed but he recovered 100%
Yes , he is house and crate trained.
Not neutered.
Asking price included crate and some smaller stuff close to $1000

Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Eek, I hate to sound negative but the breeder doesnt sound very reputable, they lost the health records and want $1000 for an unneutered adult male?

I would donate the $1000 and go through a proper breed rescue, that way you'd be helping so many more dogs than just the one dog you take home. The $1000 to that breeder would probably just go to supporting them to produce more dogs! Breed rescues are also normally excellent at matching dogs to new homes and different personalities. Where are you based? Perhaps someone can recommend a good local one to you.

Good luck in your search :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow that was fast - Thanks :)
Your Rupert is beautiful!
Perhaps I did not explain my self properly, I wouldn't buy the dog from the breeder but from person who purchased the dog from them. After I learned that the dog is not registered I find the price high as well but I hate to put a price on living soul :confused:
We are located in Eastern Ontario.

Reactions: Amelia_

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Oh I see I misread, sorry! :) Thank you for the compliment!

If they did indeed buy from a reputable breeder, chances are the breeder could want to take the dog back. I’m across the pond, but I believe there are frequently contracts with good breeders which state that the dog has to go back to the breeder and not sold on? Im not sure, but this would lead me to believe something is not right. I guess they want to try and recoup their money from buying the dog.

Either way, I personally wouldnt pay for a rehome of an older dog. I know its so difficult to walk away from a dog in need of a home. Perhaps you could say that you dont want to pay for him and and give them your number encase they cant find someone else. Unfortunately some people will just rehome to whoever will pay them the money. What a sad situation for him :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it normal that breeder will sell unregistered pup?
I agree about the money part :(

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here is a starting point for some breeders in your area. Some of the breeders will have older puppies or dogs available for rehome.
Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada
Angela at Di Ravallese Dobermans has two older pups listed on her site for sale if you prefer a slightly older puppy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts