Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of those who gave positive support and/or advice. Especially those who suggested that I keep working towards building the relationship between Domino and I.

I'm so surprised at how things have turned around in the space of a few days. Not only are we in the early stages of what I hope will turn out to be a strong bond, but I'm seeing such progression in his training.

Reading your posts really brought it home to me that I really needed to chill out, and simply enjoy his company. By not being such a drill sergeant, and instead being relaxed, more tactile and affectionate I've seen such a change in his manner, behaviour and how he interacts with me. I LOVE MY BOY, I REALLY DO!

Even the trainers at his obedience class commented on how well he's coming along. I have never been so proud of him. Yes, there have been bad moments and really bad moments but the good moments and great moments far out weigh any other.

Many of you were spot on when you said that the problem was actually me, and I see that now. Even more clearer than ever.

Thanks to all once again,

DaleIcious and Domino.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
:nicejob: This makes me extremely happy! It sounds like you were open to the constructive criticism that you received here. I imagine it must have not been easy to hear as it was not what you were expecting. You listened and applied it. You are way on your way to a lifelong relationship with your dog and it sound like you are both happier. Keep up the good work.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Very happy for you both!
:clap_1:
Keep the good news comin'!

Reactions: DaleIcious

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Wonderful news. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: DaleIcious

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
you have no idea yet just how strong that bond is going to end up...but prepared to be blown away by just how far this dog works into your heart and soul. ;) Your addiction and obsession has just begun :) ...enjoy...it gets even more awesome ;)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
DaleIcious, I'm very glad to read your last post! I'm also glad that you opened your heart and instead of rejecting, but accepted the advices given and reviewed your way of thinking.

I believe that now you know how Doberman is checking on us everyday:D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Great job, both of you!
I know some people say it gets worse before it gets better, but once you have that bond, its much easier to put up with the occasional naughty dog. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did't really like to train my dobe, Okane when he was young. Too energetic, too easily distracted, too excited.
I started to love him when he gets to 3-4 y/o. It was more controllable, mature and consistent.

They are smart but they are different than many breeds. It takes patience to train dobes but I haven't felt my time was wasted for training them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
These dobies are no different then Rhodesian ridgebacks. Im so used to a stubborn dog it's crazy. Oh yea block heads at times. My ridgeback was the most stubborn dog it was crazy, but the nicest dog. She still stole my sons food up until the day she past! God love her. I'm finding dobies to be the same. Sometimes they just stay that way not with everything or should I say it's like a kid saying na I just don't feel like doing that right now, and that's how he got his second name Bone head! He's definitely like having a 5 kid. I can't tell you how many times he gets kicked off the couch only to go to the one next to it and than another one, like it dosent register. Well ya got love them. And as I'm writing this where do you think he is? I look over and he's on the couch! Stubborn but so dang cute!

·
Banned
51 Posts
its just a stage , just like how children go through their ''terrible 2s'' , teenage years ect .. its all apart of him maturing and because hes a male it might take a while . by him 'refusing' to do what you want him is his way of throwing a tantrum , but he cant scream and cry like a toddler can so you think hes just being stubborn . all dogs do this and they really think its quite entertaining to see you get so angry . just stay calm and assertive through his training and it will happen . keep in mind obedience classes can we quite distracting for a young pup to keep a focus on you . dont give up , be patient . just think he will mature in 1-2 years vs the many years it takes for a child to mature :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
For Zafera... I have to disagree with all due respect : )

I've had RR's and Dobes *together* for 20+ yrs and I find them completely opposite, and at the same time I think they compliment one another. RR being laid-back and of course the highly energetic Doberman. I wouldn't say the RR is stubborn any more than I would a Doberman. RR's are independent thinkers and the Doberman is constantly trying to *out think* YOU.

I wouldn't want either breed any other way and I'll always have them in my life!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Love rr and yes my girl was very gentle, so darn stubborn. I think my dobie is on the laid back side which is a great thing but yea I defiantly have to say he needs his daily excersise to get some of that energy out. If he does that well I keep saying it a tired dobie is a great dobie. He is really on the calmer side.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My ridgeback she destroyed everything in my house my girl ate through 2 crates! I was so afraid to leave my 6 month old dobie alone after what my rr did even in a crate. He didn't destroy anything not yet anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My RR now is almost 12 yo and he's been a sweetheart since 8 wks. Never a problem whatsoever. He did torment my *then* year old Doberman to no end, but they grew together and were very close. Pops (Dobe) has recently passed and now Sonny (RR) has forgotten when *he* was young and is feeling the wrath of Charlie another Dobe of 6 mos who we've had since 8 wks.

Charlie is like no other Dobe we've ever had, but we learned he is of European descent so is more *driven* than the American bred Dobermans who are more for *pets* vs. working. Makes sense now. He's definitely a pistol! ImageUploadedByPG Free1372646271.283300.jpg

·
Chee
227 Posts
When my dog was a puppy all she did was wake up, pee, run around like crazy, sniff every toy i got for her for about 5 seconds, bite them, chew them and turn to another one, then eat, pee, poo and go to sleep. This was the same until 7-9 months. She was crazy energetic, hopping, jumping, never sitting, making the house a mess. But I loved it. There were times I thought I was too old to have a puppy. There were times my neighbours complained. There were times I was so tired that I just wanted to go to sleep all days and nights but she wouldn't let me.

I never took her to training. We used to walk on the streets, sometimes I biked and she ran, we went to the dog park and she would jump all over the big dogs and run after them. She loved big dogs and even though they were annoyed and barked at her she would go bug them, wrestle with them. I saw then that she had no fear of other dogs and she would never give up she would just go after a dog no matter what. She would get in their faces and ran after them if they ran...

She slowly got slower however I taught her many words and I am not a strict person. I teach her with my emotions. I mean for example, i act tired and i say "I am tired" Words like "relaxing time now" "Sleep time" "I am tired" and tons more. You can see from the words I taught her what I went through. But I never thought i did not like this dog. Her face was so cute no matter what she did, it didn't bother me. I even have a video where we play on my bed and she then pulls me to the floor and I fall and she just pulls me, jumps over me.

Once I used a water bottle and sprinkled water on her when she was going nuts. She hated it then every time she was crazy all i said was "where is that bottle" and she would sit like she was so cute and calm. For a few seconds of course. And if I laughed she would go crazy happy and jump around all over again.

These were the happy puppy days. I don't know why you bother with training. Why don't you just be a kid and let the dog be a puppy.

Soon your dog will grow up and they only live 12 years, next he will get old. Let him be a puppy and be naughty. Just play and have fun.

My dog is almost 4 and just now we are able to walk on the streets side by side. I still wish I played with her more when she was a puppy. Those days passed so fast!

Right now due to my sweet training my dog does not respond to direct and unemotional commands. She does not like people who shout and scream. She does not listen to commands from anyone but me. From a young age i was always kind to her. So she only responds to kind commands. Sometimes other people see her and want to pet her but they say "sit" with a strong rude voice and she will not sit. She looks at them straight in the eyes and does not do what they say until i say it. This is a good thing that came out from my loving her.

Today a guy wanted to pet her and my dog jumps sometimes to say hello. I said "go say hello"and she jumped and the guy held his knee high to kick the dog away and my dog immediately barked at him. Because that move was both defensive and aggressive. She never barks at people unless they are aggressive :) I apologized anyway and told my dog not to jump, then the guy told me he has a pitbull so he knows about jumps. But I liked the fact that my dog barked and told the guy to behave himself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree you have to laugh at them I am always kind to my guy to, like when he has something that's not his (because everything he thinks is his) I tell him real nice thank you so much is that for me? And he lets go of it and I give him something of his. My husband picks him up still like a baby my god he's like 60 lbs now! But it's so funny with his big ol feet and ears hanging. They are funny I noticed he curls his lips up when he is trying to fuqure something out and his ears go up its the funniest thing. He's is definitely like a child.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It being a puppy you should see how it grows and keep working with trainers.

In general when dogs don't do what people like then it's annoying it but it's just you getting frustrated because the work you undertook isn't as easy as you thought.

I think you maybe have to learn & do more to adjust dog's behavior and that it will be worth it if you figure it out, probably better than you initially hoped for.

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
It being a puppy you should see how it grows and keep working with trainers.

In general when dogs don't do what people like then it's annoying it but it's just you getting frustrated because the work you undertook isn't as easy as you thought.

I think you maybe have to learn & do more to adjust dog's behavior and that it will be worth it if you figure it out, probably better than you initially hoped for.
I don't think it's worth responding to a thread from 2013. Thread closed.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.