Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Guardian
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
In preparing for my new puppy, I picked up Orijen Puppy instead of the large breed specific puppy diet.Unfortunately, I enjoy to jump the gun and I opened the bag. Luckily the bag is small, and I should finish it fairly quickly. I just want to make sure it is okay to feed in the meantime, as puppy will be at the 6-7 week mark.
I was also possibly going to switch him to Acana large breed puppy eventually. any thoughts?
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
8 weeks is the minimum a puppy should leave the mother, I read in your last post that you will be getting the ears cropped and like RedFawnRising said that is a huge red flag. An ethical breeder would have had that done and ear in posts by the time they are ready to go home.

I am simply going of the information that you have posted so far, and with that info it leads me to belief that you pup might not be coming from a not so ethical breeder. That being said, there can be genetic problems that are being passed down to your pup if your breeder has not done any health testing.

if the pup is still at the breeders and you have the chance to walk away from the deposit I would, actually I did. My personal experience is that I too came to this site asking for advice and the helped me point me in the right direction and helped me realize that I was about to support a backyard breeder. At first I felt bad that I was going to leave behind a pup that I already met. But then the forum helped me realize that if I paid for this pup I would just be encouraging the byb to breed more puppies into the world. I would also be risking the puppy not being healthy because the breeder did not health test.

Again I am not trying to tear you apart but give you another perspective, and going off the info that you provided. I backed out of getting that puppy, I made up some lie and I got my deposit back and I invested it into a reputable breeder that health tests all their dogs and I have life time support. My pups ears were done and I didn't have to worry about finding a artistic vet to do them.

So please reconsider if you do not already have this pup to back out and do some more research. There have been times where people have just bought a pup from a byb and the pup didn't even get a chance to see their first bday due to a genetic problem that could have been prevented if only they people that bred them tested the parents first.

Just trying to save you from potential heartache, as someone that waited and didn't think I could. I am super happy that I did, I have a feeling that you wont change your mind tho. But I will feel better that I attempted to pay it forward by sharing info that I was provided when I was about to buy from a byb.

Once again I want to add that I am only going off the info that you provided. Please do not hesitate to ask questions, there is no wrong question to ask. We all were new to this breed at some point.

As for the food you should be fine, last I check Orijen was a all life stages food and these high end dog food companies just started putting out puppy formula's to boost their sales.

·
Guardian
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.

I try to post as little as possible on the whereabouts of the breeder as I know her personally and I assure you both sire and dam have been tested for vWb, worn halters, gone through PennHIP, etc. Owners take very good care of them and they have paws toward and are holding titles. They come from great lines.

If this wasn't the case I would be the first to tell someone they were nuts and turn them down. But because of various reasons I'm not paying for the pup and I feel incredibly blessed.

I did not mean to keep anyone in the dark and lead them to believe I was in someone's backyard for a beautiful doberpup. I couldn't bring myself to soil the breed by allowing someone who is just money hungry to doop me.

And one of our agreements was that I get the ears done myself, but working with veterinarian who performs the procedure this was no problem.

As far as the food, thank you very much on your input. I had a feeling this would be fine given the brands past.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Puppies should not leave the mother until they are 8 weeks old. This is VERY important. It is even illegal in some areas to sell puppies before 8 weeks. If you work with a vet you should know this.....

There really is no difference between the puppy formulas. You could feed the regular adult formula if you wished. Acana/Orijen is all life stages. Some people even suggest to avoid puppy formulas all together because they can lead to too fast of growth.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I would stick to an ALS food. Mine are all on Acana. I don't buy into the different formulas for different life stages unless there is a medical reason.

·
Super Moderator
21,287 Posts
You should not bring home a puppy that young, period. If you are absolutely set on this breeder, please wait to take your pup home until it is the appropriate age to leave its mother.

If you are feeding the Orijen puppy formula, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with the regular puppy formula. The large breed has the appropriate calcium/phosphorus ratio. You should be able to return even an open bag of food. I've done so on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If you are feeding the Orijen puppy formula, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with the regular puppy formula. The large breed has the appropriate calcium/phosphorus ratio. You should be able to return even an open bag of food. I've done so on numerous occasions.
The calcium and phosphorus levels in the puppy and large breed puppy are the same. The large breed puppy has two fewer percent protein and four fewer percent fat... so, a little bit less nutrient-dense. I would be comfortable feeding either.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
In preparing for my new puppy, I picked up Orijen Puppy instead of the large breed specific puppy diet.Unfortunately, I enjoy to jump the gun and I opened the bag.
Kinda sorta neither here nor there, but howcome did you open the bag of food before you even have a little puppy to feed?

Kibble is best used up within three or four weeks of opening the bag. If using it up in that time frame is not possible, it should be stored in the freezer.

·
Super Moderator
21,287 Posts
The calcium and phosphorus levels in the puppy and large breed puppy are the same. The large breed puppy has two fewer percent protein and four fewer percent fat... so, a little bit less nutrient-dense. I would be comfortable feeding either.
Don't know how in the world I read that wrong!!! Thanks for correcting it.

Reactions: mmctaq

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I hope you got a very small bag. Mmctaq is right about food needing to be fed within 3 to 4 weeks of opening as the nutrients begin to loose potency. I dont agree about feeding puppy food to a large breed puppy. That extra protein and fat equals extra calories and extra calories are exactly what makes a large breed puppy grow too fast possibly causing bone growth issues. Take a look in the sticky section of the Puppy Forum and read the article, "Overgrowing Your Large Breed Puppy is Dangerous" or something similar to that title. You might get by with that bag, but I would not feed another. I also wouldnt switch to Acana. While Acana is a better than average food, it doesnt even begin to compare with the quality of Orijen!

·
Guardian
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. I placed it in an airtight container and then in the fridge after opening. I was curious about the kibble size... I'm just curious in general. If for whatever reason it isn't looking too hot when I get ready to feed it I will not hesitate to buy a fresh bag, and this time large breed intended. Don't know what I was doing because I was looking specifically for the large breed puppy formula.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Ha ha, I get the curiosity part. I'm like that. I take Advair and when the first dispenser was empty, I took it apart cause I was so curious as to exactly how it worked.:) Since your pup is free, you should be able to get a good crop. Make sure you see pictures of your cropping vets crops before you commit to the crop. There are sooo many vets, who have been cropping for year,that do horrendous crops. If you will tell us where you live, maybe we can recommend a good cropping vet for you.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I dont agree about feeding puppy food to a large breed puppy. That extra protein and fat equals extra calories and extra calories are exactly what makes a large breed puppy grow too fast possibly causing bone growth issues.
Higher fat foods are more calorically dense, but how would higher protein be extra calories? If you reduce the protein and leave the fat alone, by definition you have to raise carbohydrate... and, carbohydrate and protein are calorically equivalent to each other. Fat becomes energy and protein maintains and builds muscle... carbohydrate does not much of nothin' except add calories. To control growth, it makes the most sense to control portion size. Nutrient-dense, moderate fat and high protein foods are fine for puppies. Too much food is bad. Too much mineral content is bad, too. When you feed less of a very nutrient dense food, you actually end up providing less mineral content than you would feeding more of a less nutrient dense food. That, to me, is a win-win situation!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks for the input. I placed it in an airtight container and then in the fridge after opening. I was curious about the kibble size... I'm just curious in general. If for whatever reason it isn't looking too hot when I get ready to feed it I will not hesitate to buy a fresh bag, and this time large breed intended. Don't know what I was doing because I was looking specifically for the large breed puppy formula.
Freezer. You want it in the freezer, not the fridge. The fridge maintains high humidity to keep your lettuce all nice and crispy. High humidity also grows mold.

Seriously, the food you bought is fine. Just don't feed too much... pups should stay lean, with their ribs just lightly covered with tissue.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Higher fat foods are more calorically dense, but how would higher protein be extra calories? If you reduce the protein and leave the fat alone, by definition you have to raise carbohydrate... and, carbohydrate and protein are calorically equivalent to each other. Fat becomes energy and protein maintains and builds muscle... carbohydrate does not much of nothin' except add calories. To control growth, it makes the most sense to control portion size. Nutrient-dense, moderate fat and high protein foods are fine for puppies. Too much food is bad. Too much mineral content is bad, too. When you feed less of a very nutrient dense food, you actually end up providing less mineral content than you would feeding more of a less nutrient dense food. That, to me, is a win-win situation!
Actually I went back and edited my post and added the protein for some unknown reason. I thought about going back and changing it, but I was tired and protein does contribute calories, so I left it, even tho protein calories are not really anything to be concerned about. However, at the end of the day, total calories are what counts and protein does contribute calories

You can't overfeed a puppy with any food, be it adult, regular puppy or large breed puppy food. Overfeeding equals too many calories, which equals to fast growth. That is a given, but the OP will have to feed even less of the regular puppy food than the large breed puppy which can leave the puppy hungry at the end of a meal. I know I would feel bad to have a puppy still hungry after a meal. I mean, he may be hungry after his meal anyway, so why make him even more hungry? You can feed a large breed puppy more large breed puppy food and still not be giving too many calories...that is why they make it lower calorie. Lower calories equal slower growth.

The calorie difference is in the fat placement of the ingredient list.

Regular Orijen puppy food:http://orijen.ca/products/puppy/ingredients

A BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE CALORIE DISTRIBUTION

There are three sources of calories available to your puppy: protein
, fat and carbohydrates.

CALORIE CONTENT AND DISTRIBUTION

Metabolizable energy for ORIJEN PUPPY is 4150 kcal/kg or 480 kcal per 250ml cup (120g).

Calories in ORIJEN are distributed to support peak health with 40% from protein, 17% from fruits and vegetables, and 43% from fat.

Orijen Large Breed Puppy:http://orijen.ca/products/puppy_large/ingredients

CALORIE CONTENT and DISTRIBUTION

Metabolizable energy for ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE BREED is 3400 kcal/kg or 410 kcal per 250ml cup (120g).

Calories in ORIJEN are distributed to support peak health with 40% from protein, 25% from fruits and vegetables, and 35% from fat.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Actually I went back and edited my post and added the protein for some unknown reason. I thought about going back and changing it, but I was tired and protein does contribute calories, so I left it, even tho protein calories are not really anything to be concerned about. However, at the end of the day, total calories are what counts and protein does contribute calories

You can't overfeed a puppy with any food, be it adult, regular puppy or large breed puppy food.
Holey crap, I can't believe I missed the bolded above when I proofread. :confused:

Correction:

You can overfeed a puppy with any food, be it adult, regular puppy or large breed puppy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there.
In preparing for my new puppy, I picked up Orijen Puppy instead of the large breed specific puppy diet.Unfortunately, I enjoy to jump the gun and I opened the bag. Luckily the bag is small, and I should finish it fairly quickly. I just want to make sure it is okay to feed in the meantime, as puppy will be at the 6-7 week mark.
I was also possibly going to switch him to Acana large breed puppy eventually. any thoughts?
Thanks! :)
I am feeding my 4 year old doberman the Acana large breed. He loves that stuff, I call it puppy crack! I experimented with different brands (Fromm, Wellness, Innova) and the Acana is the one he loves the most. He will also do all sorts of tricks for the canned Innova ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts