Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the Credit union today and opened a Saving account just fr my dogs !!!!,,,im having money direct depositied into it from every paycheck,,, the just incase fund

:doctor:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the lady at the CU was like " is this for vacation or christmas ?

im like No its for my dogs ... she laughed

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Good for you for thinking ahead! We also have special funds set aside strictly for animal emergencies. With three senior horses, a doberman, and a cat...sooner or later I'm sure we'll need it. I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and be stressing over how to pay for it!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats my thought too

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
172 Posts
Super smart. This is really what I need to do as well.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had been putting it off .. today i just went and did it... and its not at my regular credit union.. so i wont be tepmted to raid it because i dont go there LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's a fantastic idea!

I'd be heart broken if there was something I couldn't pay for just because I hadn't thought ahead.

I'm gonna do this today :)

Thanks for a great idea.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Great idea :) the only thin I thought with saving accounts is that if something happened next week, there might not be enough to cover it. Also, life long conditions can eat up savings money very, very quickly. I decided to do both; have a small savings account and the best pet insurance I could get. My pet insurance is £50 a month, which is about £600 a year, which I figure will be about £6500 over his lifetime (aprox 10,400USD). The uetion I asked myself was 'is he going to cost me more than £6500 in vet bills in his lifetime?' probably, with all the breed problems we unfortunately have. luckily my insurance company are very good too, and won't stop costing him when he he's old.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
We don't have pet insurance but instead put money away every month into the emergency fund. Thankfully over the past few years we haven't had to use it so it's grown to be quite a lot...hopefully more than enough to cover most any emergency that should come up. We pay for routine vet visits out of our regular account so that emergency fund is never drained.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
I keep a separate checking account for my dogs. Show expenses, breeding expenses, health testing expenses....etc... come out of it. It can also be used for dog emergencies. I pay normal dog care out of the regular family account along with normal vet bills not related to breeding or health testing.

With three personal dogs, the cost of health insurance is pretty cost prohibitive.
I'm pretty fortunate that we have enough money to cover emergencies if needed.

Reactions: dax0402

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I want to open a dog account next year (for medical bills and show entry fees), for now just going to go with pet health insurance...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts