Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an ongoing problem I've been having that I thought had stopped but it's started again. I live in an apartment complex that is Doberman friendly and it's overall a pretty nice community EXCEPT for these effing kids :bash: They live in the building next to me and ever since I got Diesel they are obsessed with tormenting him and me. First it started with them running when they saw us coming and hiding behind cars and barking at him to make him bark which Diesel never gave into. They used to follow us on our walks sometimes and when I'd turn around runaway. Then they discovered that if they walk past our patio (we live on the bottom floor) that Diesel will go nuts. He's very protective of our house. Outside he could careless but when he's inside he will make sure I know someone is there. So these stupid kids would come right up to our patio and try to get him to bark. One day the one kid made a inappropriate gesture towards me which scared me. They then decided to keep banging on our door to make Diesel bark and then run away that's when I called the cops because it honestly scared me. These kids are probably 12-13 years old but they are big kids. The cops showed up but really couldn't do anything except file a report so that didn't help at all. That was about 2 months ago.

Everything kind of calmed down. The kids were pissed at me cause they saw the cop come in. They would try to jump in front of my car, throw balls at my car and one even drew a penis on my car. I can handle that. That's whatever to me because it doesn't effect Diesel.

Well today they are back. I was walking Diesel to my car to take him out with me and they got real close to me, a group of about 8, and started telling each other "Oh if he got loose he'd bite us. Better watch out" Then started barking at him. Diesel of course being the good boy he is just sat there and stared at them. I lost my cool. I told them to grow up and that I'd call the cops again if I had to. Well one kid (the one that really freaks me out. He's kind of the ring leader) says, "Go ahead B****, they won't help you" I didn't respond and just got in my car and left but now I'm kind of shaken up over the whole situation.

Also if anyone says something like, oh your dog is going to bite me what is your response? If it was a situation like this? Do you say no he won't or go along the lines saying he's protective?

Diesel is in his crate for about 4 hours most days and with school being out at the end of this week, I'm afraid that they'll know he's in here and try to harass him and I don't want him to get himself worked up or hurt himself in his crate. I have told the property manager and they did nothing. Said they'd talk to the kids and never did. I'm kind of at a loss here since my lease isn't up till Jan. I can handle myself but I refuse to let someone mess with my dog.

Any advice on what to do? I've seen their parents and they are clearly the type who just let their kids do whatever and don't care. My fear is for Diesel more then myself. Any help would be great! Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having these troubles, kw. :-( I really do wish there was something that I could do.

Did you see the post on the Masaya Doberman FaceBook page about the people that set up the web cam so they could keep an eye on their dog? That may be an option to put your mind at ease when you aren't there.

Beyond that, repeated calls to the cops, like tonight. Carrying pepper spray. Taking a long vacation to Florida to see me and Summer!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Even if the parents don't seem like the type to care about their kids, I would still talk to them just so that you can say you tried.

Has your bf seen any of this, or a friend? I'd try to find someone to witness them harassing you and take notes about your run ins with them. Then I'd probably file harassment charges.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm so sorry you are having these troubles, kw. :-( I really do wish there was something that I could do.

Did you see the post on the Masaya Doberman FaceBook page about the people that set up the web cam so they could keep an eye on their dog? That may be an option to put your mind at ease when you aren't there.

Beyond that, repeated calls to the cops, like tonight. Carrying pepper spray. Taking a long vacation to Florida to see me and Summer!!!! :D
No but that would be awesome! I'm going to check it out now.

Thank you for being do helpful. We will definitely be visiting you two and getting out of this crazy state :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even if the parents don't seem like the type to care about their kids, I would still talk to them just so that you can say you tried.

Has your bf seen any of this, or a friend? I'd try to find someone to witness them harassing you and take notes about your run ins with them. Then I'd probably file harassment charges.
Their parents make me nervous but I will try just to add that to the list of things I did.

Yes my boyfriend was the one who witnessed the barking behind the cars and was there the night they kept knocking on the door. Should I try to get more witnesses or would he be enough?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can afford it I would set up some cameras and try to catch them harassing you, harassing Diesel, and vandalizing your car.
Cameras outside? I could do one on our patio and possibly by our front door I'd have to ask about that one though. I'm not sure how I'd get the car one but I'm sure I could find something.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Can you get their names?

I'd get a restraining order, and I'd be willing to hire a private detective to get their names so that I could do so.

I'd also make a point of filing a police complaint every single time they harrassed either me or my dog or both, as that will strengthen the perception that you need a restraining order.

Quick check seems to indicate that it is at least possible to get a restraining order against a minor in VA: Is the Law on Your Side? | Do Something. I'd check into that further, were I you.

Is an alarm system with human response feasible? I'd get one, if so.

I'd also consider arranging doggy daycare or an away from home pet service/sitter of some kind for my dog.

And I'd be working hard toward moving to a more acceptable neighborhood.

Not only does the situation sound unsafe for Diesel, it does not sound safe for you. I've lived in a number of very sketchy neighborhoods and have never had that sort of harrassment.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Their parents make me nervous but I will try just to add that to the list of things I did.

Yes my boyfriend was the one who witnessed the barking behind the cars and was there the night they kept knocking on the door. Should I try to get more witnesses or would he be enough?
Are you friends with any of your neighbors? Not only would they be good witnesses, but if they complained to your complex as well there would be more incentive for management to take some sort of action.

I'm really surprised that no one has helped you.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Keep calling the cops. It may be annoying but you need to get your point across. If a dog was harassing someones children, you bet your ass the parents would be doing whatever they could to put an end to it.... sorry you are dealing with brats! good luck, hope they go away

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you get their names?

I'd get a restraining order, and I'd be willing to hire a private detective to get their names so that I could do so.

I'd also make a point of filing a police complaint every single time they harrassed either me or my dog or both, as that will strengthen the perception that you need a restraining order.

Quick check seems to indicate that it is at least possible to get a restraining order against a minor in VA: Is the Law on Your Side? | Do Something. I'd check into that further, were I you.

Is an alarm system with human response feasible? I'd get one, if so.

I'd also consider arranging doggy daycare or an away from home pet service/sitter of some kind for my dog.

And I'd be working hard toward moving to a more acceptable neighborhood.

Not only does the situation sound unsafe for Diesel, it does not sound safe for you. I've lived in a number of very sketchy neighborhoods and have never had that sort of harrassment.
I could try but I don't think they'd be very willing to give them to me.

I'll start reporting it more. I know the property manager has been notified of it multiple times by me but the cops only once. I will look at that link thank you for giving me that.

As far as an alarm I do have one but it's not activated. I'm not sure if it is connected to the police or not though. I'll have to look into it and ask the manager.

I actually just started looking into daycare for him because of this issue. It seems like may be the safest place for his right now.

Do you think I'd be able to get out of my lease somehow? Jan just seems so far away :(

·
Premium Member
8,445 Posts
Wow, I sorry for what you and Diesel are having to live with. I would call each and every time the police and file a report. This will document the incidents along with any photos, speak with a lawyer who you can get a free consultation. I recommend looking into another place to live as soon as you can.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Anytime anybody has asked about how dangerous Elka may or may not be, I dead-eye them and assure them that of the pair of us, I'm the one to worry about.

That kind of nonsense truly enrages me, and I would document, document, make complaints, get witnesses, and film it if I could. That kind of stuff is super scary, and the kind of thing that gets called "criminal activity" when it's adults doing it. Carry pepper spray if it's legal in your state, a big ol' can of it in a ready holster.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you friends with any of your neighbors? Not only would they be good witnesses, but if they complained to your complex as well there would be more incentive for management to take some sort of action.

I'm really surprised that no one has helped you.
I've talked to one of them but we've never had a long conversation. I did think about knocking on their doors and asking them of they had any problems with these kids but wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do.

I understood why the cop couldn't do anything because they didn't see it and apparently banging on someone's door repeaditly and running away isn't breaking any law :(

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If their parents also intimidate you, I'd take boyfriend or other venerable relative (mom, dad, etc.) along for those chats. Have you a friend in uniform? That'd be a great choice!
Sadly not around here :/ I might take my boss actually he used to be In the military and he's pretty intimidating. He always said he'd come if I needed him.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keep calling the cops. It may be annoying but you need to get your point across. If a dog was harassing someones children, you bet your ass the parents would be doing whatever they could to put an end to it.... sorry you are dealing with brats! good luck, hope they go away
Thank you. That is a very good point.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Call the cops repeatedly.... Make sure they take down the kids names.
File a formal harassment charge
If you feel threatened the cops should do something about that, also if you feel threatened or in danger, buy a nice revolver (but remember do not brandish the gun)
File for Restraining orders

Camera's
-Pointed at your front door (from the inside pointed out)
-Pointed at your window (inside -pointed out)
-Pointed outside your window at your car (inside - pointed out)

I wouldn't put a camera outside because they could easily get stolen or covered.

Some Do NOTS
Do not threaten or humiliate them because it may make them more angry, and they aren't going to leave you alone because they know it pisses you off

Do not argue or negotiate terms with them to get them to leave you alone.

Don't show emotion, best you can just ignore them don't even look their way

Edit:

And I agree with Medic, long stay down here in FL :) I have a spare bedroom :p

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, I sorry for what you and Diesel are having to live with. I would call each and every time the police and file a report. This will document the incidents along with any photos, speak with a lawyer who you can get a free consultation. I recommend looking into another place to live as soon as you can.
Do lawyers do free consultations? Dumb question I know haha I've never dealt with lawyers before.

I want to move ASAP but I'm not sure I can get out of my lease.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts