Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need a common sense opinion. I think that my neighbors on one side have been throwing food over the backyard fence to my dogs, but I can't yet tell if this is an isolated incident or something that I need to discuss with them. The problem is that the house next door has a main house where two older people live that I have already had an issue with, and then two guest houses, one of which just rented out. I am not sure if perhaps there were the owners relatives there with kids for Passover/Easter and this is never going to be a problem again or if I need to go next door and talk to them. On Friday night Callie (my pit) came in the house with something in her mouth I gave her the "drop it" command and she just kept chewing. That was when I knew something was up and it wasn't just a leaf, twig...etc. Upon shoving my entire hand into her mouth I pulled out some meat with seasoning (it was disgusting). Then she ran into the backyard and starting digging for something (I am figuring that she buried the rest of the food, I just couldn't find it). The next day Bumpy (Dobie) came in with a half eaten strawberry in his mouth (I don't have any strawberry plants)...so I began to get concerned. My boyfriend thinks I am overreacting, but what do you guys think? Do I need to approach the neighbors in a nice manner and explain why this isn't ok? I am just concerned that they could give something to the dogs that isn't safe for dogs to eat.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Tell them nicely to stop feeding your dogs. I don't think you are overreacting. I would not like it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd be upset. I think a visit to your neighbors is in order. I would exsplain what happened, and see how it goes. With all the dog poisoning going on, I would explain that it worries you, and that some foods are dangerous to dogs anyway. If they do not take you seriously, I would then watch the dogs when out side for awhile. What type of fence do you have up?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My fence is a wooden fence probably about 10 feet high I would say. Trees cover most of it. At the very bottom though there is probably about 6 inches in height that is chain link for some reason. What I figure is that someone is putting food through that bottom portion for whatever reason. Why anyone would hand food to a Doberman and a pit that they do not know is beyond me and rather dumb, but I am more concerned about my dogs getting ill than anything else.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I would not like someone throwing my dog anything anytime! A lot of people don't know all the things that are poisonous to dogs and besides that, they just don't need to be feeding someone else's dog.

I would definitely be talking to the neighbor, in a kind way of course seeing you don't want anything bad thrown over the fence. :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is not going to be a pleasant experience, but I am going to go over there in a kind manner tonight. Unfortunately I have had problems with them in the past so I am dreading this. The man is old and mean - lol - I know that sounds childish but it is the truth. One day he put up a cinder block wall seperating our houses in the front yard (he had just bought the house) and when I told him nicely that it was on my property line and unpermitted he started screaming and swearing at me in Russian. And I do mean screaming. I actually had to get the city involved and don't get me started on the ugliness of the prison wall he built :) And I live in a pretty neighborhood, so it was all of the neighbors complaining about the wall. So anyway, I am going to do the best I can and definately watch the dogs for a while when they are outside. I don't think he is malicious, but you can never be too careful. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Good Luck! Hope it all goes well. I don't think you are overreacting either. I'd rather deal with the crappy neighbor then a huge vet bill. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You have every right to be upset - no one has the right to feed your dogs other than you. It may not be that they are feeding the dogs as much as they may be tossing food scraps over the fence, which doesn't make the situation any easier. The last thing you need is for your dogs to get hold of and try and swallow a chicken bone.

I had similar neighbors in my former house, which made me crazy because my family background is also eastern European, but without that 'peasant' mentality. Maybe if someone had told him that he just de-valued his property by 10-20K, then maybe he'd tear down the Berlin Wall himself.

As a last resort, you may need to check with the town and install the highest fence allowed - you can bet the old man isn't going to bother tossing anything over a 6' fence. I'd go for H Depot stockade fencing and train English Ivy to grow up it.

Good luck. No matter how tactful you try and be, there is no reasoning with some people.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah, good luck. I can't imagine having to deal with that type of neighbor. Keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Just try to keep things very nicely said...someone putting stuff through or over a fence to a dog isnt someone we want angry or resentful. good luck:)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I've had this happen before. I went out with my dogs most of the time and it was quickly obvious what was going on. I was not pleased either. It didn't happen in front of me, but I knew who was doing it (also the side of the fence it was at was a tell tale sign).

I tried talking on several occassions to parents and kids (and in my case the baby-sitters too), while the discussions went nicely and I thought they understood, it didn't work.

The kids were also climbing the fence (chainlink) into my yard occassionally if I wasn't outside. One person suggested making the fence hot and say it was for my dogs to stay inside the fence. That was not acceptable IMO since I was dealing with kids (rather young kids IMO) and my dogs were trained, I didn't want them to have to deal with a hot fence.

Installing a very high solid wooden fence worked in my case on their "side". I would find someway to make it to where you don't have chainlink as an option to stick things through.

I hope talking works in your case. You are in the right though, people should never feed your dogs without asking. How annoying! Sorry you have to go through this.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
While you should be upset if your neighbors were throwing food in your yard, but are you sure they are doing that. Without actually seeing it or if its happening frequently its hard to blame them for this. Maybe, just maybe something else is happening. Since its spring, the critter activity has increased in my area significantly, especially raccoons. They are notorious for rading open garbage cans and eating away. They mostly live in trees around us. So when you first mentioned this, I thought of this might be happening. I would keep an extra eye on the dogs when they are out in the yard just incase more food is showing up and keep a watch on the neighbors. If you don't have issues with critters like I do, then disregard this.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I would go outside and watch my dogs as they are outside. It is easy for neighbors to play innocent and get angry about things. They might do it unknowingly in front of you and you can confront them then. Nicely. Otherwise, it can turn into a he said/she said match. They might not do it again. I would not trust people to feed my dogs anything. I hear too much of dogs being poisoned that way locally. Like mentioned, people don't know what is exceptable for dogs to be fed. It can only take that one time for it to be fatal.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I do not thint that you are over reacting at all. We have had to ask people at the DP not to give our dogs treats as Titus has allergies. If need be explain this to the neighbors. Explain that you must keep your dogs on a restricted diet and that by feeding your dogs outside the diet this will cause upset to their systems. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this with your neighbors. Another reason that I am thankful for all of my neighbors!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Lana...how did it go? My neighbors...yes the ones who talked to me about Paris barking give my dogs doggie treats over the fence...lol, they asked me if they could though.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went over there but no one was home last night. Kratty mentioned that maybe critters were getting into the garbage, so now I am have to consider that, although I have never seen anything but a rat running up a tree. I was going to use the suggestion about my dogs and allergies, thank you to the person that posted that suggestion. That makes it very non confrontational and I will say it very very nicely. Thanks for all the advice, I hate dealing with stuff like this.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I went over there but no one was home last night. Kratty mentioned that maybe critters were getting into the garbage, so now I am have to consider that, although I have never seen anything but a rat running up a tree. I was going to use the suggestion about my dogs and allergies, thank you to the person that posted that suggestion. That makes it very non confrontational and I will say it very very nicely. Thanks for all the advice, I hate dealing with stuff like this.
You know it could very well be the rats doing this too. You might want to wait and find out for sure before you say anything.
I would be upset too if they were throwing scraps over or under, but it seems like squeezing the food under would be more trouble than anyone would want to fool with. Especially when you are talking about something like a strawberry. It just really doesn't make sense to me.
Maybe check the yard before you let the dogs out and just see where the garbage is coming from and maybe you could set up a surveillance camera to see what is happening when you are not watching.
I would worry more about corn cobs and cooked bones more than anything else.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
A little off topic but I just need to share. The last house we had before moving to this one was surrounded by wet lands and we had a whole slew of critters running around there. I was talking to two of my male neighbors one night, just being friendly, and they were complaining that we had a raccoon problem in the neighborhood. One was complaining of them going through their trash and the other was complainig of them getting into his garage and over turning everything inside. Come to find out, the one neighbor never secured his garbage cans and lids were optional when he put them out the night before trash day and the other would leave his garage door open all night. Raccoon problem, I don't think so, Its a neighbor problem. Being part of the male species, we sure are dumb sometimes.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOLLOL - that is hilarious. Men :)

I was most concerned with the seasoned meat that Callie had in her mouth. It smelled really weird once I pulled it out of her mouth, and yes, I know, I am weird, I did smell it. That was my concern, weird meat with seasonings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts