Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my puppy is 10 weeks old and got his ears cropped a few days ago. I cleaned and wrapped them and I felt like I did a really good job getting the tongue depressors in his ear so it doesn’t come out. When I was done he shook his head over and over and OVER. I’m scared I did it wrong or it’s hurting him. No one in my area does the ear cropping or wrapping. The closest person is two hours out. Please share your stories or advice with me. Thank you!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
@Liliana Posada I'm assuming you mean posting. If your puppy just had his ears cropped a few days ago, he's likely not ready to be posted. Are his ears scab and suture free? If not, they should be. If so, you may want to try a different method. I haven't heard of people using tongue depressors, but I've had great success with the backer rod method mentioned on this forum.

My pup, Sherlock had a set back with a scab forming after a friend nipped his ear with a razor sharp puppy tooth, so we are waiting to repost until his ear is fully healed and scab free. Highly recommend you do the same!

·
Big Lil pup
7,133 Posts
Hi Liliana. Welcome from the Pacific.

So yeah ^^^^ Your pup will not be ready for posting until the sutures have been removed and the ears are completely healed. I would check out the various discussions available here in the DT forum "Puppy Corner" under "Cropping and Posting".

This discussion, started by member greenkouki is a great place to start:

Ear Cropping and Aftercare: Do's and Don'ts

Once you approach actual posting, you might want to look at this wonderful visual tutorial on posting also courtesy of greenkouki:

How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

Best to you and your new pup

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,752 Posts
At some point in the past, people did use things like tongue depressers, but now we recommend something that can be stiff but which is also flexible to some degree.

Check out the links 4X4 posted above for tips about cropping after care, and for the method most of us use to post once the ears are healed.

BUT—and this is a BIG one--if your puppy is still healing after his crop, he should NOT be posted and there should be NO tape over any cut or scabbing areas. Take down your posting, get all the tape off and don't even try to post him until his ears have only pink healthy skin on the edges. For right now, you can let his ears dangle (that's what I would do), or you can tape them tip to tip over the top of his head (again, no tape on the cut areas.)

His stitches will need to be removed about 10 days after the cropping was done, and then usually it will take another week before his ears are totally healed enough that you can start posting.

Best of luck—hang in there—come back here with any questions you have (no question is too silly--we were all where you are once) and—post PICTURES of your baby pup—we LOVE pictures.

Welcome to DT from Colorado!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Liliana Posada I'm assuming you mean posting. If your puppy just had his ears cropped a few days ago, he's likely not ready to be posted. Are his ears scab and suture free? If not, they should be. If so, you may want to try a different method. I haven't heard of people using tongue depressors, but I've had great success with the backer rod method mentioned on this forum.

My pup, Sherlock had a set back with a scab forming after a friend nipped his ear with a razor sharp puppy tooth, so we are waiting to repost until his ear is fully healed and scab free. Highly recommend you do the same!
Hello! I am just finding this out from another FB group I am a part of. I am really confused because the vet that I went to told me to keep the wraps on until his stitch removal on Monday. I called another vet because someone told me they shouldn’t be wrapped either and they also said that their practice is to keep the ears wrapped until the stitch removal. I am so confused! I know obviously they won’t be ready to post until they’re healed properly but I don’t know why two different vets would advise me to keep them wrapped if that wasn’t okay. Thank you for your help! I am a new Dobe mom and appreciate all the advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At some point in the past, people did use things like tongue depressers, but now we recommend something that can be stiff but which is also flexible to some degree.

Check out the links 4X4 posted above for tips about cropping after care, and for the method most of us use to post once the ears are healed.

BUT—and this is a BIG one--if your puppy is still healing after his crop, he should NOT be posted and there should be NO tape over any cut or scabbing areas. Take down your posting, get all the tape off and don't even try to post him until his ears have only pink healthy skin on the edges. For right now, you can let his ears dangle (that's what I would do), or you can tape them tip to tip over the top of his head (again, no tape on the cut areas.)

His stitches will need to be removed about 10 days after the cropping was done, and then usually it will take another week before his ears are totally healed enough that you can start posting.

Best of luck—hang in there—come back here with any questions you have (no question is too silly--we were all where you are once) and—post PICTURES of your baby pup—we LOVE pictures.

Welcome to DT from Colorado!
Thank you so much!! I am also in Colorado. Your reply with really helpful.

·
Super Moderator
27,752 Posts
It seems like a lot of vets want to tape the ears while they are healing. Some will even recommend stretching the ear or picking off the scabs; they talk about keeping the ears taped up while the crop heals to help them heal in a straight position. But getting the ears up straight in the right position is done during posting, after the ears are completely healed. It really isn't necessary to try to keep them straight as they heal.

I guess vets think taping will keep the area clean, but it really does create more problems than it is worth.

The cut area stays wet if it is taped over, and that just seems to invite infections. Letting it stay open to the air helps the cropped area to dry out and form a healthy dry scab. And picking off the scabs hurts; it delays healing. The puppy is likely to be reluctant to let you touch his ears, which is a real bother, because you will need to be posting his ears for a few months and the last thing you want is a worried wiggly puppy when you have to fuss with them. You don't need to put any antibiotic or ointment on them either under normal circumstances.

Puppies are likely to mess with their ears more often if they are taped while they are healing too—the tape across the cut pulls on the cut, and that makes the puppy more uncomfortable.

Vets aren't taught ear cropping in school; they have lots of other more important things to learn, and unless you work with a vet who specializes in ear cropping (and they are far and few between), you may not get the best directions. A lot of them are really bad at posting the ears after they are healed too—that is why we recommend you learn how to post ears for yourself.

Some vets glue the ears to a cup while they heal, but if they do it right, there is no tape or bandaging across the actual cropped area. But they do that while the pup is under anesthesia; you really can't glue a cup on a wiggling squirmy puppy. So your options while the ears are healing are to let the ears dangle, or to tape them over the top of the head, without running the tape across the cut areas.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Amen to what Melbrod just posted.

I have had Dobes since 1959 and have had ears cropped by some of the best Doberman croppers in the country. And since I not only deal with my puppy's ears I also help local puppy owners who have never posted ears learn how to do it and post ears for owners who don't want to post their own pups.

In the past no cropper I ever dealt with would think of wrapping newly cropped ears and would never tell an owner to keep wraps on until the sutures were out. Most of my first puppies came home with their ears hanging. One came home with his ears taped over his head. When I saw the first puppy I'd ever seen with a cup post crop I was thrilled--it was a perfect way to stabilize the ear, keep it entirely visible the whole time the ear edge was healing and if it lasted long enough the sutures could even be removed with the cup on. And the whole time and different ways of dealing with newly cropped ears--the rule was--don't pick the scabs, leave them entirely alone, don't try to smear ointment or anything else n the ear edge and after the sutures were removed we did not even attempt to post the ears until the ear edge was completely and totally healed.

Recently there has been a rash of people with newly cropped puppies who are posted immediately after they are cropped and sent home with instruction that rather horrify me. The good croppers I know today send puppies home with their ears on cups or foam blocks--the raw sutured ear edge has nothing covering it. The owner goes home with meds for the puppy--usually enough antibiotics for a week and two or three days of pain killers. And instruction to leave the ears open to the air and to not pick scabs and not to bandage the ears until not only are the sutures removed but the ear edge is completely healed.

dobebug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is so weird!! I’m so confused as to why two different Veterinary clinics would tell me that I should wrap them always and not to let them heal properly before the postings.

·
Super Moderator
27,752 Posts
I don't know quite why they say that--a number of them do, but vets who specialize in ear cropping and people who have been in dobes for a long time (and even folks who have dogs of other breeds who get cropped ears too) are all adamant--no bandages or tape across the cut area of a newly cropped ear. There is a much greater risk of infection, and the tape can prevent you from seeing what is happening so you may not even know there is an infection until it gets really bad. The tape is painful to remove too, because the scab basically glues itself to the tape as it dries, and then you have to rip the tape and the scab off when you remove the bandaging.

I guess there are times when we experienced folks have something to teach the vets. It is a very good idea to follow the vet's advice over some anonymous folks' online, but in this case, many vets just haven't learned the tried and true techniques that have been used successfully for years.

·
Premium Member
8,937 Posts
Yup!
Dry is good.
My dog just had a major surgery done on his leg.
Currently many stiches.
Leg is not bandaged. Instructed no bandages.
If fact was told to not cover as that would hold the moisture in which (draining from the existing wound) of which might result in an infection.
Rule # 1 with wounds on dogs: DRY IS GOOD.

Trust us we all know about crop issueS.

BUT you could also...

Call your regular vet and explain what you have heard from all of us. Do this respectfully and I bet you will find your vet agrees with rule # 1.
But be real sweet when you ask.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts