Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently just got my first Doberman and she will be 3 months in a week. I have had many puppies in my life but I have never had one that play bites so much. I don't know if it's a Doberman thing or just her being a little wild. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this. I've tried spraying her with water, tapping her chin, saying no and walking away and she still does it. I just don't want her to carry these habits when she gets older. :confused:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Levi did the same thing.

Levi did the same thing.

The best I can offer is to shun her when she does it. That and buy something like Duluthe's heaviest Fire Hose pants until she gets her adult teeth.:)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Your puppy (like ALL Doberman puppies) is being... a landshark. If she bites too hard, yelp and say No bite! and stop playing. This is exactly how her siblings taught her that she was too rough, and she'll understand this. You should also redirect her to an appropriate activity.. like playing with a toy. The end-all to this will be training, and it isn't going to happen overnight. Tapping/pushing/popping/hitting the puppy will just frustrate her and instigate the behavior further.

It could be that your puppy is just wound up. Dobermans are a working breed, and have the energy to show for it. They absolutely need to have both physical exersise and mental stimulation daily (training is a good form of this for puppies)

What are you doing for exersise? what about training? Now would be a good time to look into puppy kindergarten classes. A good place to search for them is here: http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/training_clubs/index.cfm

In the meantime, Kikopup is a marvelous training resource. I urge you to watch this and implement the ideas here..

Stop puppies biting- clicker dog training - YouTube - Stop Biting and Mouthing

We had wonderful success with this, and our 12 week old will not put her mouth on us at all anymore :)

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
It's a Doberman pup thing. Many working breeds are extremely mouthy pups.

Stop trying so many different things. If you often change your reaction to her biting how is she ever going to figure out all those different reactions mean 1 thing - "stop biting me"?

If you just calmly and consistently redirect her, she'll figure it out and eventually grow out of it. I'd recommend keeping a toy on you (I kept one shoved in my back pocket when possible) and when she tries to bite say, "ah-ah" or whatever your wrong word is for her and, gently, stick the toy in her mouth and praise her. Don't get discouraged. You're going to be spending a LOT of time redirecting her from biting. It's just part of raising a Dobe pup. Rest assured, she will eventually grow out of it and understand she shouldn't do that.

Also, be sure she has plenty of appropriate things to chew on so when her gums/mouth are bothering her she can relieve her frustration and pain in acceptable ways. Freeze canned pumpkin in kongs, I froze chicken and beef broth in ice cube trays and let my puppy play-chase and chew on those on the kitchen floor (easy clean-up), you can soak an old, clean rag in water, freeze it, and supervise her chewing it (to make sure she doesn't try to eat any of it).

Make sure she has lots of interesting things to chew on in general. All different textures, colors, sizes, materials, noise makers, quiet, etc. Every toy you can imagine to keep her busy and entertained!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your advise... I have been training her and she knows sit down paw drop it bow and stay... She is really smart and we are starting a training course next week for socialization. She is never left alone and gets a lot of time to run during the day so hopefully your advise will work... She is an amazing puppy her bites just really hurt

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I really think that 3-4 months must just be an awful time for doberpup biting. We've had several threads on here just in the last few days about it and I remember Whiskey being the exact same way when he was a puppy of that age. I, however, realized that this too shall pass! What worked for me was redirection and squealing like he just gnawed an arm off haha.. consistency is the key. He's a baby and since he has no fingers he's exploring his world with his teeth. Testing boundaries and checking stuff out is normal for a pup. Whiskey was mostly out of his landshark phase by 5 months of age... not sure if it was my consistency or that phase just passing. Be patient!

ETA: When he gets too worked up after the squeal stop play time for a minute or two. Completely ignoring him helped after a bit. He did get even more riled up for a bit. Try wearing long sleeves for the next month or so :p

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Two interesting videos:

a) How to train your dog - Chewing Hands & Nipping
How to train your dog - Chewing Hands & Nipping.avi - YouTube

b) Settle Down a great exercise for bitting & nipping puppies Part I
Settle Down a great exercise for bitting & nipping puppies Part I.mov - YouTube

I do the OUCH thing, but also want my pup to bite me...so I can teach the jaw muscles to be in my control or comfort level.
I routinely rotate a ball and my fingers in the pups mouth, and it has to learn not to bite me hard...and I practice alot of muzzle rubbing to.

While a) video...I don't agree with up slapping a dog on the chin or raming ones hand into the back of the dogs mouth, until it gags for 15 seconds, by pushing on the dogs head. (so IMO - that is outright cruel...using the video for illustration purposes only, shows a safe bite zone...in the early footage)
I do however take advantage in the area behind the pups mollar's (zero teeth area), that is just on their gums.
Sticking my index finger back their, the puppy while chomping/clamping down, has an inability to really hurt me, and they start to loose interest in trying to dominate me to a lower ranking in the family pack structure. (its one of the techinques I use to train "soft bite/muzzle control")

Now video b) is a good one...but I don't put a pup on its side &/or grab and hold its feet.
The petting and calming voice, can be used to ones advantage...to create a calm puppy.

I tend to encourage the early bitting in a young pup vs. stopping the interaction through ignore and train the dog to respect my fingers in its mouth.
- and control its jaw muscle strength, to my comfort level
- that I communicate through much play with redirecting toys or substitute tug-of-war games or fetch
Their going to bite, so I teach them what is acceptable (my leadership, is not questioned...in the pups eyes).
- much easier to do, early on...while they are still little / and not big & strong

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Two interesting videos:

a) How to train your dog - Chewing Hands & Nipping
How to train your dog - Chewing Hands & Nipping.avi - YouTube

b) Settle Down a great exercise for bitting & nipping puppies Part I
Settle Down a great exercise for bitting & nipping puppies Part I.mov - YouTube

I do the OUCH thing, but also want my pup to bite me...so I can teach the jaw muscles to be in my control or comfort level.
I routinely rotate a ball and my fingers in the pups mouth, and it has to learn not to bite me hard...and I practice alot of muzzle rubbing to.

While a) video...I don't agree with up slapping a dog on the chin or raming ones hand into the back of the dogs mouth, until it gags for 15 seconds, by pushing on the dogs head. (so IMO - that is outright cruel...using the video for illustration purposes only, shows a safe bite zone...in the early footage)
I do however take advantage in the area behind the pups mollar's (zero teeth area), that is just on their gums.
Sticking my index finger back their, the puppy while chomping/clamping down, has an inability to really hurt me, and they start to loose interest in trying to dominate me to a lower ranking in the family pack structure. (its one of the techinques I use to train "soft bite/muzzle control")

Now video b) is a good one...but I don't put a pup on its side &/or grab and hold its feet.
The petting and calming voice, can be used to ones advantage...to create a calm puppy.

I tend to encourage the early bitting in a young pup vs. stopping the interaction through ignore and train the dog to respect my fingers in its mouth.
- and control its jaw muscle strength, to my comfort level
- that I communicate through much play with redirecting toys or substitute tug-of-war games or fetch
Their going to bite, so I teach them what is acceptable (as I am the leader).
- much easier to do, early on...while they are still little / and not big & strong
very great advice, I did about the same thing you did. Instead of walking away I just said "OUCH" really loud and made a big deal about it emotionally showing him how much it hurt, once he showed remorse I allowed him to come up to me and lick me.

Since then he had dramatically reduced the pressure he used on me. he learned really really fast, and now if I say ouch and he knows that he bit down a tad to hard and I keep playing only if I see that he was sorry and didn't mean it by his reaction. Which is he stops biting right away and checks to see if I'm okay before he continues to play.

Odin already had really great bite inhibition when I brought him home at ten weeks. Because not only did his litter mated teach him but so did the breeder.

I have never done this but I once heard from a trainer to put something tasty like yogurt on your skin and every time she licks it praise her so she takes it as licking people skin can mean better things than biting.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
^^^^ o0 sHaDoWoLf 0o
Yea, we did the same thing...neat / glad it worked on Odin so easily to.

For the OP's benefit:
By addressing the problem head on, the biting problem can be corrected rather quickly.
The results of this approach, is setting up the dober pup for respecting its master and focusing on Mom/Dad when they speak.
Bite inhibition training, is one of the strongest principles in moving forward with a learning foundation (listening with focus).

I would even let on I was really hurt (LOL) and start to a fake big cry, on the living room floor...Dad with bottom lip out and all...He-He.
Then I told AMY she had to "give Dad a big kissy now"...and then the not so nice bite, turns into puppy love.
- while she is climbing up my chest, rushing to plant a wet one on my lips...followed by tons of happy praise and cuddles
I would also practice "our fight night game" with Amy in the bed...5 minutes at night & early morning / my sons YorkiePoo still plays this with me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all your tips she is already learning that biting is not good. We went 2 whole days with no biting. I really appreciate everyone's help:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts