Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would just like to say I am sorry that I haven't been around. I say that way to much recently. Life needs to really slow down. :)

On to my question.... I broke Gracie of her fear of electrical cords. It took me a little over a year to get her fully over her fear but I did. :) Now she has the fear again except worse. I am wondering if she tripped over our internet cord and is now afraid of them again. I am not really sure what happened to make her go backwords. So I have started the whole process over again. I got out the good ole' clicker and tried that way as well. I got her to nudge my leg with her nose while I am standing on the cord. That is as far as she will go. When I ask her if she wants to go outside I have to wait for her to get up enough courage to cross the evil cord. It has taken as long as 20 minutes for her to cross. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Every time she does cross it to go out I give lots and lots of praise. When hubby and I get home from work she wont greet us at the door because she will have to cross a cord to get to us.

I have also tried to put a rug over top of the cord, that didn't work at all. I left the rug on the floor for a couple of days. She still knew that the cord was there. So yesterday I bought a can of dog food and put it in her bowl. I put the bowl next to the cord and she kept nudging her bowl to move it away from the cord. So by the time she got it to where she wanted it the cats were trying to eat her food. I was really hoping that would work. It worked last time like a charm. I just feel so bad for her all the time again. I know this can't be healthy for her to have this fear all the time. It isn't good for me to watch her have this fear all the time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you worked with her on a leash in the house to make her pay attention to you instead of the cord? I have never had an animal that was afraid of something like this but I think I would run my cord over the doors and arround the edge of the floors instead of across the floor. It is never a good idea to walk on them anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not much help either. But I would just keep going as you are, rewarding her for the small steps she makes everytime she makes them.

(BTW- nice to hear from you again :) I've been thinking about you!)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Oh no, how goofy.... Hey pm me your number again, I lost it (sorry I'm so bad with that, everytime I want to call my sister I have to call my Mom for the phone number b/c I always lose it....)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts