Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diesel has had his ears unposted for a day because he kept scratching and the tape was making his ears kind of raw at the bottom towards the bell so I was giving him a break. I out some neopsorn on them to help. I want to repost them but he's still scratching a little. There's no sores or anything. I think it just irritates him. My question is do you think it will be ok to leave them down for one more day? They stand fine but I don't want it to hurt the process he will have been posted for 2 months on Thursday if that helps. If I leave it for another day does it decrease his chance of the, staying standing or will it not matter? I know when he was younger and this was all just starting it was ok but I'm not sure now that he's older.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had to leave Koa's down for a whole day mid-process -- exact same situation, actually! I figured I'd rather leave them down for one day to give it a breather than have the possibility of taping it up and it getting raw or infected. I don't *think* one day will have any long-term ramifications, but Koa is my first, so I might be wrong.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to leave Koa's down for a whole day mid-process -- exact same situation, actually! I figured I'd rather leave them down for one day to give it a breather than have the possibility of taping it up and it getting raw or infected. I don't *think* one day will have any long-term ramifications, but Koa is my first, so I might be wrong.
Yea we've left them down for a day before and he's been fine the thing is they've already been down for a whole day so I'm worried about doing one more day. I'm glad he's not the only one with that problem.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant a whole extra day - my bad :)
Haha it's ok. I think he'll be ok too but this is my first time and I'm really obsessive over his ears. I think my boyfriend thinks I'm nuts. I just like to ask just to be sure. I'd hate for them to not stand cause of that.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
As long as they are still standing and not looking weak it shouldn't be a problem.

Try giving him a bath, at least his ears, maybe get all the tape goop and anything left that visible or not may be irritating him. That seemed to help nimble when she wouldn't stop scratching, so we washed them between each posting.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as they are still standing and not looking weak it shouldn't be a problem.

Try giving him a bath, at least his ears, maybe get all the tape goop and anything left that visible or not may be irritating him. That seemed to help nimble when she wouldn't stop scratching, so we washed them between each posting.
How would I know if they look weak? I'll wash his ears.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They would start to bend or lean one way or the other versus his normal straight up, or they would do the obvious and fall or fold completely from some point on the ear.
They aren't doing anything out of the ordinary. At least not that I've noticed. Let's say I leave them and tomorrow we wake up and they fell some would that really hurt them standing or what would happen?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
They aren't doing anything out of the ordinary. At least not that I've noticed. Let's say I leave them and tomorrow we wake up and they fell some would that really hurt them standing or what would happen?
assuming they fell in the past 6-8 hours over night it wont be a big issue especially since you'll obviously post them again right away, he's young enough and it won't have been that long that he'll be fine.

Side note though is that if it's after he wakes up in a.m. or from a nap, give him about 10-15 min unless it is folded at the base. I panicked at mabels once a few months ago cause I though the tip fell but really she laid on it and it softened the cartilage, 10 min later it hardened back up and was normal.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
assuming they fell in the past 6-8 hours over night it wont be a big issue especially since you'll obviously post them again right away, he's young enough and it won't have been that long that he'll be fine.

Side note though is that if it's after he wakes up in a.m. or from a nap, give him about 10-15 min unless it is folded at the base. I panicked at mabels once a few months ago cause I though the tip fell but really she laid on it and it softened the cartilage, 10 min later it hardened back up and was normal.
This makes me nervous haha

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
This makes me nervous haha
He'll be fine! These things happen (sores and what have you) and the ears have to be down for extra hours sometimes. Just remember its only 2 days not a week which would matter!

Reactions: Rowdy1224

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He'll be fine! These things happen (sores and what have you) and the ears have to be down for extra hours sometimes. Just remember its only 2 days not a week which would matter!
Ok. We'll keep them out and my boyfriend said he's fine to repost them by himself tomorrow when Diesel gets up in the morning. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMO, the health of the ears takes precedence over standing. If they need to be down for 1-2 days while the raw parts heal, then so be it. Might set you back a little for posting but I wouldn't tape over the raw parts until it clears up.
I agree. I just wanted to know if there would be a risk of them not standing if I left them for 2 days. They aren't really bad but I can tell he's uncomfortable so I want to give them time to heal up but at the same time knowing what will happen if I leave them unposted for a little.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I left Odin's down for a couple of days because his ears were irritated by the tape and I didn't fear that they would have a problem standing. Might prolong the process a little bit but I would rather prevent an infection by leaving them down for a couple days rather than having an infection happen and having to keep them down for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I left Odin's down for a couple of days because his ears were irritated by the tape and I didn't fear that they would have a problem standing. Might prolong the process a little bit but I would rather prevent an infection by leaving them down for a couple days rather than having an infection happen and having to keep them down for a couple of weeks.
Thank you! We left them alone and when I left this morning they looked fine. We'll keep an eye on it and if they seem better we'll repost them tonight.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I left one of Sonya's ears un-posted for 5 days in a row. I figured I'd leave it alone as long as it was up. On the 6th day it started to lean a bit towards the center. It never flopped over just leaned in. So I posted it again. Her other ear will stand for 1 day then start to flop. I know I'll have to post that one for much longer.

·
Dober-Stud
105 Posts
I had to leave Hawks ears down for a whole week :( .... first one fell, then the other one a few days later, but I had to leave them down as he had a sore that needed to heal period! Posted againg once it was all healed and no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I left one of Sonya's ears un-posted for 5 days in a row. I figured I'd leave it alone as long as it was up. On the 6th day it started to lean a bit towards the center. It never flopped over just leaned in. So I posted it again. Her other ear will stand for 1 day then start to flop. I know I'll have to post that one for much longer.
Thank you :) He seems to be better today and his ears are still standing.

I had to leave Hawks ears down for a whole week :( .... first one fell, then the other one a few days later, but I had to leave them down as he had a sore that needed to heal period! Posted againg once it was all healed and no problems what so ever.
How old was he? I'm glad to hear that it didn't effect them standing. I think Diesel should he good to go back to posting tonight or tomorrow. I'll see how he is when I get home from work. Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts