Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a harness to keep my female dobie secured in our van and boat during the summer. I bought a standard nylon harness to try out this weekend, and while it seemed to work fine in the van, I didn't feel it was secure enough on the boat (she can work it loose by wriggling backwards and working her elbow under the strap). Does anyone have any suggestions? In the past, I've just put her crate in van, but I don't have room for it when we're going camping, and I don't want to use a collar/lease on the boat because she could slip getting on or off and strangle herself. I also thought that a harness might be more comfortable when we're just hanging out at camp, but I'm wondering if it's strong enough to hold her if she goes after a squirrel or rabbit.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Tracey

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I have an EZYDog Chest Plate harness for Elka, that I use in the car and also on walks (they gave me one to review on my blog). I use Liberty's Attachment, from Ella's Lead, and have both her collar and leash on her. I will say that the "buckle assembly" tends to slide to the side, because I won't/can't tighten the chest strap any more without really binding her up, but she hasn't shown signs of being able to get out of it either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I have an EZYDog Chest Plate harness for Elka, that I use in the car and also on walks (they gave me one to review on my blog). I use Liberty's Attachment, from Ella's Lead, and have both her collar and leash on her. I will say that the "buckle assembly" tends to slide to the side, because I won't/can't tighten the chest strap any more without really binding her up, but she hasn't shown signs of being able to get out of it either.
I'm going to order the liberty's attachment. I'm a big believer in back-up equipment since Clover's collar buckle broke when she was a puppy and she ran onto a 5 lane road. I've been using the halti nylon link but this looks much sturdier.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am also looking for a more secure harness; the Ruffware harness may be what I'm looking for.

We recently had a standard dog seatbelt harness on Maiya while taking a short ride in an open jeep. It was secured by the car seatbelt and I also attached her leash to it and I was holding the leash. When we arrived home, I discovered that the leash and car seatbelt were still attached to the harness but somehow Maiya had wiggled out of the harness and I hadn't noticed. Another time she had wiggled out of an Easy Walk harness when she was tethered in class while I walked a rally course. That time I had attached the lead (which was anchored to the wall) to both her collar and easy walk harness and she had gotten both off. Her nickname should be Houdini.

·
Banned
919 Posts
These are good harnesses IMO

Doxlock:

But i do like the look of the Ruffwear one in the other post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts