Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dakota turns 2 in 5 days! I can't believe it! My little puppers is all grown up...*sniff* I need some ideas on how to make her a birthday cake. I'd rather not use flour...and her stomach is pretty sensitive. Carrots are out(learned that the hard way). She can handle peanut butter and cheese in small quantities. I was thinking of doing something with canned pumpkin but I don't know how to go about this. It's my first time making a doggy birthday cake! Any suggestions?

Here's a picture of the (almost)birthday girl!

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Maybe take a flourless chocolate cake recipe and replace the chocolate with pumpkin? I have no idea if, in the alchemy of baking, this will produce a prodigious mess but...well...dogs don't need it to be pretty! They want you to melt the chocolate anyway, and the first recipe I found was only 4 ounces. It might be souffle-esque?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was looking around and found a gluten free doggy cake. Thought you may be interested in this.

Andy’s Birthday Cake (Adapted from The Honest Kitchen recipe)

This is a gluten free, grain free cake. Serves 12 easily.

Cake:

4 cups The Honest Kitchen Embark (also you can use Force or Zeal) dehydrated dog food

2 Tablespoons The Honest Kitchen “Ice Pups” frozen treat mix

1 c chicken broth (can also use vegetable broth or cooking water from sweet potatoes)

2 eggs

3 Tablespoons honey

1 cup yogurt (I substituted 1 c mashed cooked sweet potatoes with 1/4 c cooking water for a dairy sensitive dog)

1/2 c smashed banana chips (also can use smashed Smooches or Nuzzles cookies)

Frosting:

1 c plain greek yogurt

1 tsp honey

“Happy Hips” chicken jerky, duck jerky, or bacon bits

Mini treats

To make the cake:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a 10 inch cake pan or line with baking parchment. (I like the parchment- it makes clean up easy).

Combine the dry Embark and Ice Pups mixes in a medium bowl.

In a mixer bowl, combine the 2 eggs and 1c. sweet potatoes (or yogurt) and whisk at high speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add honey and mix thoroughly. Reduce speed on mixer to slow and alternately add dry ingredients (about 1 c at a time) and broth to make a batter. Stir in the smashed banana chips (or smashed cookies). The batter will be a bit lumpy but should be relatively easy to spread in the cake pan (Ok to add a little broth or water if you need to make it spreadable). Bake the cake in the oven for 25-35 min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool at least 10 min before applying frosting. (OK to make and let rest overnight). Flip the pan and release the cake onto a serving plate.

To make the frosting:

Whisk together the yogurt and honey. Spread smoothly over the surface of the cooled cake. Apply the strips of jerky or bacon bits and decorate with the mini treats. Serve and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I was looking around and found a gluten free doggy cake. Thought you may be interested in this.

Cake:

4 cups The Honest Kitchen Embark (also you can use Force or Zeal) dehydrated dog food

1 c chicken broth (can also use vegetable broth or cooking water from sweet potatoes)

2 eggs

3 Tablespoons honey

1 cup yogurt (I substituted 1 c mashed cooked sweet potatoes with 1/4 c cooking water for a dairy sensitive dog)

Frosting:

1 c plain greek yogurt

1 tsp honey

Mini treats

To make the cake:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a 10 inch cake pan or line with baking parchment. (I like the parchment- it makes clean up easy).

In a mixer bowl, combine the 2 eggs and 1c. sweet potatoes (or yogurt) and whisk at high speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add honey and mix thoroughly. Reduce speed on mixer to slow and alternately add dry ingredients (about 1 c at a time) and broth to make a batter. Stir in the smashed banana chips (or smashed cookies). The batter will be a bit lumpy but should be relatively easy to spread in the cake pan (Ok to add a little broth or water if you need to make it spreadable). Bake the cake in the oven for 25-35 min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool at least 10 min before applying frosting. (OK to make and let rest overnight). Flip the pan and release the cake onto a serving plate.

To make the frosting:

Whisk together the yogurt and honey. Spread smoothly over the surface of the cooled cake. Apply the strips of jerky or bacon bits and decorate with the mini treats. Serve and enjoy!
I have made this before and it was yummy according to Zac

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Cake:

2 eggs

3 Tablespoons honey

Frosting:

1 c plain greek yogurt

1 tsp honey

Mini treats

To make the cake:

Preheat oven to 350F.

To make the frosting:

Thanks! Although I only need a cake for one, not 12 lol but I'm sure she won't complain if there's leftovers! Not sure where I would get the honest kitchen ingredients though. Maybe I can switch them out for something else.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
hi ... I don't make mine cakes - I make them birthday pot pies, which they love a lot. Since they aren't at all fussy as long as it has goodies in it, I wing it - I take a pyrex deep-dish pie pan or other shallow casserole-type pan, and I lightly grease it with butter, but you can use oil or lard or whatever... I mix together cubed chicken, chopped up liver, maybe some grated cheese - or whatever I have - and various vegies chopped up (I usually use frozen), and some grated or diced sweet potato (raw) - but you could use some pumpkin). I mix it all up, with an egg, some broth and some rice or millet or quinoa and a little bit of oatmeal. Put into dish, then cover the top with mashed potatoes, for a "crust", but also, so you have something solid and white to put the writing on. Bake at 325-350 for about 30-40 minutes, then let it cool to room temp. I use regular cake writing icing in tubes because I'm lazy, but you can use anything you like to write on it... Here are thumbnails of 2 of them: (I call Willie "Sugarbear")

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Birthday cakes for dogs when I made a few for obedience party,the group that we did Pet therapy at hospitals etc. I would just make a meat loaf depending on the dogs you can make it with lean ground chuck, ground turkey,ground chicken or pork mix it all together or just one throw in a egg bake I use to add carrots,green beans Liver all kinds of things use you imagination & what your dog likes and can have..I used low fat cream cheese for icing decorated the top with little milkbone type cookies. Now days they have some little bone shaped dog cookies made with Blueberries smell wonderful. Then I used some of the Alpo crackers filling was a meat type pate. Now days you can find better quality type crackers this was back in the olden days ha,ha,. Dogs loved my cakes. Happy Birthday to your Fur Kid Good luck with the cake oh I would make sure if there was any fat I would drain it off the cake, use a Bundit cake pan.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I ended up doing cupcakes instead of a cake. Only I forgot to use a muffin liner so she had to eat them out of the pan lol. They were mostly made up of chicken cubes, peanut butter and cheese. Sounds like a gross combo but she licked the pan clean and then went sniffing around for more! Happy birthday to my sweet girl :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts