Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life just isnt the same without him. I think I want another dobe, this time red, around late 2007, maybe early 2008. The part that sucks is that the good breeders locally only breed #3 & #4 blacks(whatever that means), and the ones that produce reds are puppy mills. I know this because they breed more than one breed, no health testing, temperment testing, no conformation titles or any titles for that matter. This time i would like to get involved with a breeder that cares. I want a breeder that will assist with every step, and i would also like a dog that is well suited for obedience, agility and maybe even some tracking. I dont want another dobe right now, im still pretty upset about losing King, but i just missing having a dog around. If anyone could suggest any breeders to look at and maybe build a relationship with, i would appreciate it.
 

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
Joined
·
4,376 Posts
I can't help you with finding a breeder but I'm glad to see you are thinking about another dobe,the fact is once you have had one they get you and keep you! I have not been without one in some 20+ years now and never regretted my decision,good luck with your quest to find a new dobie I'm sure someone on here will point you in the direction of a breeder who can help.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
675 Posts
Where is it you live? A #3 black Doberman can produce either black or red puppies, depending on the color type of the Doberman it is bred to. A #4 black can produce either black, red, blue, or fawn, depending on the color type of the Doberman it is bred to.

So it doesn't really make sense to say that the good breeders will only breed those two types of black, because those two types produce other colors, including red.

Also, most good breeders are willing to produce both blacks and reds, some of them don't want to produce blues and fawns because of the coat problems. A good breeder is looking to produce a good quality Doberman, and color is secondary to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
micdobe said:
Where is it you live? A #3 black Doberman can produce either black or red puppies, depending on the color type of the Doberman it is bred to. A #4 black can produce either black, red, blue, or fawn, depending on the color type of the Doberman it is bred to.

So it doesn't really make sense to say that the good breeders will only breed those two types of black, because those two types produce other colors, including red.

Also, most good breeders are willing to produce both blacks and reds, some of them don't want to produce blues and fawns because of the coat problems. A good breeder is looking to produce a good quality Doberman, and color is secondary to them.
Thanks for replying. I learned something new today. I live in Surrey, BC, canada. I found a breeder that sounded awesome until i read "Garry and I are very involved with our cabinet business so we can't spend as much time pursuing dog activites as we would like, but we occasionally breed a litter."


do you have a link that i could look at to find out a bit more about the color genetics and such?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
i can just imagine how much you miss king...not wanting another dobe right away is nice then cause it gives you time to research and check out breeders. I would take the help that anyone like micdobe is giving you...it really is worth it to want the best in a breeder.
....if you miss having a dog around maybe you can spend a couple of hours volunteering at a shelter...walking the dogs...spending time with them...
how is your nephew doing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My nephew seems to be doing well. I told him that king is up in heaven with no more pain and itching. And that he is playing with Sheeba and Sandy(grandparents dogs that passed). Ill take any advice i can get. I will not rush into it this time, as its way too hard to see your dobe go through that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
Tom:
I know how you feel. I was so heartbroken when Cody passed. we had already started the adoption process and even tho I didn't think I was ready for another dobe, hubby wanted one. (he travels alot and always felt we were safer with Cody around) we got Pollo 3 weeks after Cody died and it's been great - he is a lot smaller tho black and rust and C/D just like Cody.

There's some breeders that I have heard good things about in Alberta. (hubby's family is outside of Calgary so we have been looking there as well for a pup). you may want to look in Alberta. right now the names are escaping me, but they shouldn't be hard to find.

cc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Codysmom said:
Tom:
I know how you feel. I was so heartbroken when Cody passed. we had already started the adoption process and even tho I didn't think I was ready for another dobe, hubby wanted one. (he travels alot and always felt we were safer with Cody around) we got Pollo 3 weeks after Cody died and it's been great - he is a lot smaller tho black and rust and C/D just like Cody.

There's some breeders that I have heard good things about in Alberta. (hubby's family is outside of Calgary so we have been looking there as well for a pup). you may want to look in Alberta. right now the names are escaping me, but they shouldn't be hard to find.

cc
Thanks for the advice. my cousin loves in alberta, so i may be able to stay with him for a few days to give me some time to meet the dogs and the breeder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this is an email i recieved back from a local breeder. Kinda scared about the hepititus. Hope someone has some insight on this. thanks.


"There is no test for cardio, but I do own a holter monitor and will be
testing the girl that I plan to breed. I have done the hips, thyroid and VWD
. CVI can only be detected by x-rays of the area, and that will only tell
you that you do not have it now, not that you won't get it later. I also
test liver enzymes, as I bred to a dog that has produced Chronic Active
hepatitis, and lost a bitch to that disease 2 years ago.
I have not chosen a sire yet so can't tell you what info I will get
there. I do expect that any sire I choose will be fully tested as well. One
of a breeders best tools is to research the family history on chosen sires
so as to avoid doubling up on any health problems. Even with all these
things done, there are no guarentees that the genetic bingo will not give us
unwanted dieseases.
Yes, you are right, I have not updated the website for awhile! I do
intend to do that as soon as I figure out how! ( My husband bought a program
to do it, and has been too busy ever since!)
As far as showing goes, we currently have the number one/two Doberman in
the U.S. Am.Can.Ch.Holmrun's Regardez will be shown at the Eukanuba Classic
and at Westminster this year. We are very proud of her accomplishments."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Tom I am very sorry for what you are going through. I was in the same vote as you and it's hard., Now that Chase is here things are looking up.

Go to the DPCC.ca website and look under Breeder directory, you will find some in your area forsure.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
675 Posts
I wonder if the dog that breeder is referring to is Marienburg's Repo Man. Holmrun has done some crosses with Marienburg, so it might be. Regardez is very nice looking from her pictures.
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
TomAndKing said:
So this is an email i recieved back from a local breeder. Kinda scared about the hepititus. Hope someone has some insight on this. thanks.

QUOTE]

I think this is a breeder that's refreshingly honest about problems that have come up in her lines, and doing just about every bit of health testing available to doberman breeders..I don't think you're going to FIND a line that doesn't have health problems somewhere, and I sure wouldn't dismiss this breeder if it were me.

Paris (aka Am./Can. Ch. Holmrun's Regardez) is a beautiful dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Well I would recommend this breeder in a heartbeat

she's been doing this for a long time and stands behind her dogs 110%. She is always there to help her puppy owners with whatever they need. I would highly recommend her and suggest that if you're interested get on her list now.

The bitch she lost to liver problems is a Lex Luther daughter.

At the moment there aren't very many people breeding in BC and not many I'd recommend. I know another breeder who has a litter on the ground now and does have some males available but they're all black.

I'm in BC and am the Treasurer for the BC Doberman Pinscher Club. Please feel free to contact me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
One more thing

where did you get King; who was his breeder?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
675 Posts
I agree with murreydobe about this breeder's honesty. I meant to put that in my post but forgot. Beware of breeders who tell you there are no health problems in their lines, because inherited problems are in all lines. A breeder who is honest about both the bad and good things in their dogs and who tests them, is much more trustworthy than someone who just dismisses all problems as not being in their "lines".
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
micdobe said:
A breeder who is honest about both the bad and good things in their dogs and who tests them, is much more trustworthy than someone who just dismisses all problems as not being in their "lines".
Absolutely. And if they stand behind their dogs and are always available to their puppy owners, as Katherine says this breeder does, then you really can't ask for anything else in a breeder.

Because what Cherie said is true..breeders can do every test available. They can study pedigrees until they're blue in the face, trying to avoid doubling up on unwanted traits. That will definitely reduce the chance of health problems..but there's no way ANYONE can give you a 100% guarantee a health problem won't come up. You're always at the mercy of the roll of the genetic dice.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top