Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a huge deal but then again it is. I haven't met many other dobermans in this area of the state. I went camping with a few of my friends for a night. My hubby told me after putting Kodiak to sleep it would probably be good for me to get away and get a little ummm drunk. It was just a girls weekend so my 2 friends and myself went to their cottage for the night. We got up there and first thing we did was had a couple of mudslides.

We went out back to eat dinner right after dinner. I was looking over at the neighbors cottage watching them act like idots getting all their dogs out of their vehical. To my suprise one was a doberman. I ran over and walked right up and asked if I could pet him. They said yes, so I continued on petting "Gradie". He is a 5 year old doberman with floppy ears. He was so cute. The woman told me the story of how she got him. Her brother died in a car accident and he had Gradie. So after her she got word about her brother she went out of state to get Gradie and bring him to his new home. She told me that she has always been afraid of dobermans. She didn't even know that Gradie was a doberman until she seen him. So she and I talked for about 30 minutes about this breed. She told me that most people wont even approch her when he is on lead. I laughed and said I have one of my own and these dogs are nothing but babies. There is nothing to be afraid of unless you do something wrong to the dog. She also said she couldn't believe how much attention these dogs want. I laughed and said, tell me about it. Just when you think they don't want to be petted anymore and you stop they start to nudge you over and over again.

She also informed me that he hasn't been eating very much since his master died. She said that he eats enough to stay alive but wont eat every day. I asked her what kind of food she feeds. She told me that she hasn't changed his food at all. She took the bag of dog food when she got Gradie. She refuses to change the food. She did take Gradie to the vet, the vet told her that she thinks it is because he master died.

Gradie was thin when I seen him, not thin enough to throw up red flags though. Does that make any sense? She said that at the time of his appointment he weighed in at 78 pounds.

He was such a great dog. I fell in love with him. I know, I know, easy to do with this breed. He gave me a couple of kisses, but I was told he doesn't really give kisses. That isn't his thing I guess. I would have loved to take him home. So next month I will be going back up there, but this time I will be taking Gracie with me. In hopes that Gradie will be there.

P.S.
I didn't get that drunk. I was only acting stupid for about 2 hours or so. :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think I have only met a few Dobe people here as well. Back in the winter I was running some errands for my hubby's work and pulled up in a strip mall, lo and behold there was a woman walking her Dobe. I got out and walked right over to her, I'm sure at the time she thought I was nuts, but I told her I just had to stop to see her Dobe. You know the only time people come over to see your dog is when them selves are Dobe lovers LOL.

·
Registered
986 Posts
GM, I'll bet being around Gracie would do Gradie a lot of good right now. Probably she would make him feel better faster. Also hmmmm...Gracie/Gradie, what are the odds just one letter off...it makes me wonder if it was coincidence or karma that brought you together with this dobie and his mom at this particular point in time. What are the odds of that name coincidence happening? Hope you get to meet again next month.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told the woman that I was going to come back next month sometime. She told me that she would bring Gradie up down there every weekend, in hopes of meeting Gracie. She was excited when I told her that next time I will bring Gracie along and see what happens. :)

I will make sure I take some pictures. I had my camera with me, but I forgot all about it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeeWee,
That woman probably did think you were nuts. I did the same thing though. I was on my way home from work, I seen this guy walking a dobe. I turned my car around, and went back. I rolled down my window and was talking to the guy. The guy wasn't very nice but the dog was. The guy was probably thinking I am a crazy woman and didn't really want to talk to me. Lol. I don't blame him though.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Sooz said:
GM, I'll bet being around Gracie would do Gradie a lot of good right now. Probably she would make him feel better faster. Also hmmmm...Gracie/Gradie, what are the odds just one letter off...it makes me wonder if it was coincidence or karma that brought you together with this dobie and his mom at this particular point in time. What are the odds of that name coincidence happening? Hope you get to meet again next month.
Strange and very true, Hmmmm welcome to the "Dobetalk Zone"

:eek2: :help_up_2

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Thats really cool GM. I always get excited when I see another doberman around here. They are few and far between in my area. I hope you get to see him again and Gracie gets to have a fun playmate. I like the Gradie/Gracie combo. How often could that happen?

·
Registered
89 Posts
"GM, I'll bet being around Gracie would do Gradie a lot of good right now. Probably she would make him feel better faster. Also hmmmm...Gracie/Gradie, what are the..."

It transformed Dogma from a moping, depressed, lonely dog back into her normal self.

"odds just one letter off...it makes me wonder if it was coincidence or karma that..."

For our family, it certainly was Karma. (I almost want to switch to IE and put a smiley face here)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts