Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but at times I am so glad I do!

I was just going through an old photo album and found this............

It is the steel pin that was used to put back together my fist Dobie Girl Sadie's rear leg after a young colt I had ran her over when Sadie was just over 3 months of age. We almost had to have the leg removed, but the pin and all the after care saved her leg though it ended up about 1 inch shorter than the other leg.

In all her over 12 years with me, that leg never bothered her at all.

kinda cool to feel that pin in my hand after all these years and knowing it was 'inside' my most favorite dog of all times.

Hugz to ya Sadie Girl, loved always and missed forever.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Are those after care costs? Wow. What did the vet charge to do the surgery? You should post a photo of Sadie.

Keeping old stuff often brings back wonderful memories--like my Size 5 jeans! LOL

Goodness, if I had to pick my favorite of all times, each time I adopted a new family member, s/he was my favorite. But in all honesty, and I never wanted a girl Dobe, Charley Girl shines a tad bit brighter for me. She lives for me and that just goes a long way. I adore that girl.

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
those were after the op (pin removal) and vaccinations costs in...1977. :)

i used to have all my dogs vet bills from day one, but about 10 years ago i cleaned out my desk and got rid of about 2 garbage bags full of notes, puppy evaluation charts, bills, etc.

I think the bill for the operation was about 200 dollars.

I have a picture of Sadie in my photo gallery here on DT.

She was/is my Heart Dog. :)

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Back then, $200 was a nice chunk of change. I'll bet there were people who thought you were crazy for spending that much on her. In the early '70s, we adopted two abandoned GSD pups. After my dad turned down someone offering to buy them for $150 each, they developed distemper. The vet bills were around $200, and sadly, they both died.

Just to compare prices of then and now, I had a 1975 Plymouth Valiant that had a sticker price of $4000. The equivalent today would be a Honda Civic, which starts at around $17,000.

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:)

times have sure changed haven't they.

and yes, i remember distemper being the #1 killer of dogs back then.

I knew a few people who lost their dogs to it.

I was trying to remembr how much i payed for Sadie....I think it was 250 dollars, and she was registered too.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Back in 1977, we got our first FM puppy, dobe we named Tanya...she was $300 with papers.
Breeder was in their 80's, lived in Crediton Ontario (on main street) beside the only bank.
Mrs. England turned down $4,000 for the stud dog Tanya...our pup came from his first sire breeding.
(the bank manager next door, said his bank was never robbed in the 35 years the kennel was there...LOL)
- anyone remember old Mrs. England ??

I had just graduated from college (Eng. Technology), got married a few weeks later and got our puppy one week after that.
First year we lived in an apartment, and Tanja severed an artery stepping on a broken beer bottle...standing up, in the long grass.
My wife drove our 1966 Plymouth Valiant, while I applied pressure on her paw...to slow the bleedout.
Rushed her to the vet (10-15 minutes away) as the floor mat of the vehicle was all covered in blood.
Our first baby girl came home the next day...$200 was the emergency cost of care...about 1.5 weeks pay, back then...He-He.

Darkevs - Sadie sure sounded like a very special heart-dog...thanks for the story.

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beaumont67, i remember you mentioning Mrs. England before................was she Mrs. B. England of Kaukauna Doberman?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My first Dobie came from someone in KC who purchased a female from a member of the DP Club here. She, the dog, frightened the owner because at 6 months old she would sling her toys (called worrying). We loved her dearly but she was ugly as homemade underwear! Goodness that was a very long time ago. I was a single mom in college. I think I paid $250 for her. She was registered but still not very pretty at all.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Beaumont67, i remember you mentioning Mrs. England before................was she Mrs. B. England of Kaukauna Doberman?
Yea, that was her / her husband Lloyd died, I think the following year...our puppy came from her last litter.
- she was an expert doberman gal, dating back to 1955 (or something like that)
I once asked her how many dobes she had been around...4000 she said, and not one of them wanted to bite her...he-he.

Thks Darkevs - after all these years (35)...I had forgotten the kennel name...good memory you got there.
(re. Mrs. B. England...I think the "B" stode for Bella)

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bea England. :)

she used some dogs from Dr. William Shute's line....Mannerheim Doberman. Dr' Shute had an older brother to the famous Dictator and he owned the awesome Defender of Jan'Har which i think Bea used for a breeding or two as well.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Too bad those costs arent the same today! That receipt is 8 years older than me! LOL Amazing how well the ink still shows up. Now a days stupid receipts fade in a couple months. Cheap ink....
Don't forget that the prices were only part of it. In 1970s, $12,000 a year was a really good salary. I can remember my dad complaining about gas costing $1.50 a gallon, because of the oil imbargo in the early '70s. He had just bought a brand new '73 Chrysler Newport, and it cost $25.00 to fill it up. Well, $25.00 was about what we spent on a weeks worth of groceries for a family of five.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
When I turned 16 and got my first car, in 1974.
- gas was 49.9 cents/Cdn gallon
- a small pack of smokes was 75 cents, when I turned 12 y/o (spending pop bottle money)
- 10 cents for a candy bar....bottle of coke, 10 cents or maybe it was 15 cents
- two pool hall in town...one didn't allow girls
My first summer job, I cleared $99/week...as a painter...at a wood chair factory.
- I was making more money, than I could spend...lol
A few years later, when I attended College...tuition was $450-500/year.

Darkevs - thanks ever so much, on providing the breeding lineage...of decades ago.
Bea England last litter, our puppy came from was the paring of:
- male named Fandango
- female named Jackie
Mrs. England even had her own ear cropping template, and personally trained one local Vet on show crops.
Her is a link to Tanya's photo...taken as a year2 animal portrait project, at Fanshawe College Photography program.
Pet Perfect Express -- "Delivering human grade kibble for human pets"

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
....10 cents for a candy bar....bottle of coke, 10 cents or maybe it was 15 cents....
I'd forgotten--I used to ride my horse along the side of the road, pick up a few bottles out of the grass and return them for deposit money--I'd have enough to get candy and a coke.

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Beaumont67, i have a pile of old pedigrees and was looking for some more information on Bea's dobes.....very hard to find any pedigree that goes back far enough. ANd it seems in some cases I have more information about our Canadian dobes than Dobequest. :)
I know Bar--Jak doberman used her dogs for their foundation, but even their dogs are far back.

But i remember that Solar dobes bred down from a bar-jak bitch, who goes back to Kaukauna's Hi -Star, who was a big winner for Bea. I imagine your Tanya had him in her pedigree too.

so...........here is that pedigree that goes back to Hi-Star............ i circled it in red. Sorry it did not scan well.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Pedigrees have got to be the funnest things ever! yes I said funnest lol. It's so fun to so easily trace back your dogs pedigree to the start of the breed! (it takes talent to go so far back at times but I like to think I'm pretty committed :D) Hmmm business idea.....I wouldn't be the first overall but locally(in my state) at least and I could make all sorts of neat charts with lists of all the kennels that made up your dog....Hmm

Love this thread darkevs, I may not have been born yet but boy I love the past!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.