Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I really do love him...BUT these doberteens are driving me crazy!!! :screama:
Just today, he has done the following (it's not even 9 AM yet). I set out a stick of butter early this morning so I could make muffins with the kids. He jumped up and grabbed the butter and then raced around the house with it, dropping gobs of it all over the carpet. I finally caught him and got him to release it (of course it was ruined and was thrown away) and sent him outside to potty and so I could clean up. I got the carpet cleaned up and let him back in. Now the routine is to ALWAYS wipe off his paws with a damp towel when he comes in. He KNOWS this. Today though, he decided to wait until I was not holding onto him and while I was kneeling down beside him to get his back feet, suddenly took off. He left black paw prints ALL over the carpet I had just cleaned. ARGHHHH!!! So, for the second time in an hour, I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the carpet. I tried to leave him out for a bit to play, but he insisted on grabbing every small child's toy that he has normally shown no interest in. I really do love my dog, and somehow we'll make it through this stage. But so far this morning, I could strangle him! Ugh. Thanks for letting me vent. Whew. Looks like a LONG walk at the park is in order today.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I feel your pain. Oliver will grab anything, he loves when we chase him. They fool you when they are growing up, you think they are growing up and becoming a little (big) man, then they do this. I chalk it up to being a very large puppy. My trainer says they will continue to test you and don't mature until after two. I hope I can make it until he's two. Oh and sweet face, lures you into that false sense. Take a deep breath, maybe two or three. Oliver is into everything and must know what you are doing at all times. The only time I can get things done is when he's at day care. Of course he a perfect angel there. Keep the butter up.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby is 14 months old and just starting I fear the Doberteens. His latest trick is to run at you full tilt leaping into the air and stopping himself in your midriff. Add to this he is jumping up at the side of you and making snapping noises, grabbing your hands or whatever it is you have in them and dragging you round, and last but not least zoomying past you at mach 5 and rising whilst snapping like a mad crocodile. Folk think he is some kind of mad dog. (not sure if he isnt, lol) I have tried to explain that Dobes go through a second childhood, far worse than the first one but I am having trouble convincing folk he is really a sweet little man who is just full of zing.

Of course we are trying to get him to stop all of these traits, before they become habitual or he decides they are really too much fun to give up, however, we seem to get him to stop one and he goes onto one of the others, we then get him to stop that and he goes back to the first thing or the second or well you get the drift I am sure.

Anyone have any advice as to how to deal with the running and leaping thing, it has nearly bowled me over several times which is not nice at all.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,487 Posts
Yes, I really do love him...BUT these doberteens are driving me crazy!!! :screama:
Just today, he has done the following (it's not even 9 AM yet). I set out a stick of butter early this morning so I could make muffins with the kids. He jumped up and grabbed the butter and then raced around the house with it, dropping gobs of it all over the carpet. I finally caught him and got him to release it (of course it was ruined and was thrown away) and sent him outside to potty and so I could clean up. I got the carpet cleaned up and let him back in. Now the routine is to ALWAYS wipe off his paws with a damp towel when he comes in. He KNOWS this. Today though, he decided to wait until I was not holding onto him and while I was kneeling down beside him to get his back feet, suddenly took off. He left black paw prints ALL over the carpet I had just cleaned. ARGHHHH!!! So, for the second time in an hour, I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the carpet. I tried to leave him out for a bit to play, but he insisted on grabbing every small child's toy that he has normally shown no interest in. I really do love my dog, and somehow we'll make it through this stage. But so far this morning, I could strangle him! Ugh. Thanks for letting me vent. Whew. Looks like a LONG walk at the park is in order today.
Lessons Learned from your story = Dobes & Carpets don't mix!

(That actually applies to all dogs). I am near the final phase of replacing all our carpeting with either tile or laminate wood flooring.

I leaned this the hard way the very first night after our new off-white berber carpeting (1st mistake) was laid down in our house. This was about 18 years ago, and happened before the furniture was even moved back into place. Our big rough collie, Nemo, got the runs that night and ran through each room, christening all with with ample streaks of liquid nastiness!! :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel your pain. Ruger has been behaving really good until yesterday. He knows not to grab ANYTHING off the counter. Well, yesterday, lets just say I didn't get my Sunday bacon...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just put my guy in his crate. He insists on taking my old beater shoes, somehow getting the insoles out of them, and strategically placing both items in different locations.

Twice this morning I have already caught him. He knows it to, when I come around the corner and catch him, its as if he just gazed into the eyes of medusa...stone cold still.

Little fart head, I think I'll beat him up for a while and then take him to petsmart.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
I just put my guy in his crate. He insists on taking my old beater shoes, somehow getting the insoles out of them, and strategically placing both items in different locations.

Twice this morning I have already caught him. He knows it to, when I come around the corner and catch him, its as if he just gazed into the eyes of medusa...stone cold still.

Little fart head, I think I'll beat him up for a while and then take him to petsmart.
just get a 10,000,000V shock collar. We got used to the burning smoke smell pretty quickly.

·
Registered
537 Posts
just get a 10,000,000V shock collar. We got used to the burning smoke smell pretty quickly.
You are far too kind. I use an eleventy billion Volt collar that puts out 75 amps.

I use it for a different purpose though. Insurance people want to come by to make sure I don't have a dangerous breed living in the house. One pop of the collar and my dobe instantly becomes a charred, I mean black poodle.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
You are far too kind. I use an eleventy billion Volt collar that puts out 75 amps.

I use it for a different purpose though. Insurance people want to come by to make sure I don't have a dangerous breed living in the house. One pop of the collar and my dobe instantly becomes a charred, I mean black poodle.
ooo... where'd you get it? sometimes I too need a black poodle

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Well Olivia, what did you expect--you took the boy's stick...of butter...but it was still his stick and he needed to find it when he came back inside. Did you think just because he had been outside he had forgotten his prize? LOL.

I have hard surface floors but did buy a cheap hand held cordless wet dry vac so I can clean up messes on the area rug. It helps a lot.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
You know, just because you LOVE them doesn't mean you always have to LIKE them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol, well at least I know I'm not alone in this. As far as the carpet....let's just say that with two young kids and a doberteen....I HATE the carpet. Unfortunately, this is a rental house though and we aren't permitted to change it out (nor would I want to waste the money). We are hoping to either purchase this one or buy another one sometime next year though and rest assured...my next house will NOT have carpet in the main living areas. I shampoo the carpet at least once every month and it only takes days before it's looking gross again. We have black sand in the backyard that Gunner is constantly tracking in. It shows up as dark grey on my light beige carpet. NOT a good mix.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I should have warned you that it's like having another added child only they bark and lick you:) I hope everything is better;)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Lol, well at least I know I'm not alone in this. As far as the carpet....let's just say that with two young kids and a doberteen....I HATE the carpet. Unfortunately, this is a rental house though and we aren't permitted to change it out (nor would I want to waste the money). We are hoping to either purchase this one or buy another one sometime next year though and rest assured...my next house will NOT have carpet in the main living areas. I shampoo the carpet at least once every month and it only takes days before it's looking gross again. We have black sand in the backyard that Gunner is constantly tracking in. It shows up as dark grey on my light beige carpet. NOT a good mix.
I see, it's a rental house. Then I can understand you don't want to mess up.
Is it a wall-to-wall carpet? How about laying the cheap rugs, especially on the heavy traffic areas?

Butter on the carpet.... Sorry to hear that. If would freak me out:screama:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts