Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebel will be 10 weeks and 2 days old tomorrow. We have had him for two weeks and I have only heard him bark once. I put him in his crate one night, he whined a little then he randomly barked a couple times. The way it sounded though, he was just figuring out how to bark. It was really cute.

I figured he would have been barking up a storm the first day I got him. He will growl some while I'm playing tug with him but he has never barked at me. My cousin brought his 6y/o retriever mix to our house a couple times for Rebel to play with and even with my cousin's dog barking at him, he won't bark back. She'll bark at him and he'll just sit down and look at her. It's almost like when she barks she is actually telling him to sit lol.

But anyway, anyone else had this issue with no barking?

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
I wish. Rattie Lucky drives me nuts with his barking. Of course, if it hadn't been for him barking and screaming his head off, he never would have been rescued, but enough, already. Ilka and Leo both bark a lot also. Leo is a GSD, and they tend to be drama queens, from what I understand.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Vegas was exactly that way as a pup, and honestly there's nothing wrong with it! I feel like its a great sign of an easy going confident pup. One barking about everything is probably much less confident, you don't want a Doberman getting spooked about everything.

Once Vegas was about a year, and was well on her way to being a good confident adult girl who had a good idea not to freak out about stupid things because she was fabulously socialized, we trained her to bark on command. She got the idea that it was okay to bark about some things (the sort of things we asked her to bark about, like strangers in the yard) and she learned when it was okay to bark. I'm so glad she's not one of those crazy dogs who barks her head off over everything.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Why is this a problem? I don't understand. Eli didn't bark as a puppy either. He would bark very occasionally until 2-2 1/2 then that changed. He barks now to alert to something. Sometimes he alerts too much and I have to tell him to stop. LOL.

·
joie de vivre
11,271 Posts
Don't worry. Someday he'll get excited about something random and he'll make you long for the time he wouldn't make a peep. :)

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
wait till he's older and a squirrel or mail carrier steps foot on your property...
consider yourself lucky;)

·
formerly known as moona
1,461 Posts
I'm with the others who say to enjoy it while it lasts!

Dexter is the most talkative pup I've ever had. He talks when someone has a toy he wants, if I'm not petting him or giving him enough attention, if Indy is laying on "his" vent and won't get out of his way.

I've never really liked noise, so you'd think this would annoy me - but I honestly find it adorable. He makes the funniest faces when he's trying to be quiet and wants to talk SO badly :)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
it won't last long lol
once he starts barking, teach him to bark on command and then to shut up with the enuf command. hehehe
Nubis was the same as a smaller pup. now when ppl or dogs go by the front yard he goes to let his presence known and gives out a bark or two but retreats back to me. I've git lots of yappy smaller ddogs in surrounding yards so he ggets plenty of practice on being quiet as he learned I won't tolerate it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think it's the lull before the storm. We just adopted a 4 yr old female (2 weeks on Mon.), she's barked about 3 times. She doesn't bark at door bells on tv, she doesn't bark at our door bell. I am just waiting, as soon as she is confident that this is her home, she will be barking. Just not at door bells on tv, that makes me crazy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts