Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dobbie is a male 5 year old and pulls me everywhere. I walk him everyday 30-45 mins. But I am yanked to every pole and sign on the street. Sometimes my arms hurt so bad the next day. He weighs about the same I do LOL.

Any advise? Treats do not work he could care less if I had a big fat steak in my hand those poles are more important to him.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Do you play with him, train him, and/or tire him out in any way before the walk? Have you spent any time trying to teach loose-leash walking in the past? If so, what have you done?

·
Super Moderator
15,530 Posts
What kind of lead/collar are you currently using? Are you working on any obedience/heel work on or off leash (starting in a neutral area)?

A prong collar might be a good tool for you. Have a trainer or someone you know who knows how to properly fit and walk with one help you and your dog.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes to all of them.

I take him to tennis courts and throw a ball for him

I have tried off leash training but he ignores my commands outside.

Ive also tried special leashes and he just collapses to the ground with a harness on.

He is not nutured yet could this be his problem?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Its not too late to get into an obedience class. A prong might be in order. Its a good tool used in the proper manner. Someone should show you how to properly fit it and use it.
Get into an obedience class first.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prong collar and classes

I currently use a prong collar he doesnt care if it pulls at his neck.

Hes had training and he would listen to the trainer but not me.

I spent $400 on his training when he was about 1. Do u think I should take him back to someone else?

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
A good dog trainer will not only 'train' your dog, but more importantly will train you. If his previous trainer only trained 'the dog', I would certainly recommend another trainer. As mentioned it sounds like some formal obedience training would be beneficial.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Try and find a good trainer. Find a local doberman club ask them about a trainer. Its never too later don't give up.
In our house training is every day NILIF (Nothing in life is free) We also go to training 2x a week and now a Rally Class.
Go and watch some of the classes without the dog.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I currently use a prong collar he doesnt care if it pulls at his neck.

Hes had training and he would listen to the trainer but not me.

I spent $400 on his training when he was about 1. Do u think I should take him back to someone else?
He has probably desensitized to the prong collar, which is an incorrect use of the collar (and easy to do, been there done that with a Dobe myself). I would find a fantastic qualified trainer and go back to classes.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I bet the prong collar is too loose and is down towards the bottom of his neck. It needs to be right behind the ears if you go to Leerburg.com they have the correct placement on where the prong collar should be.A prong collar works great if up behind the dogs ears I have disabilities am 62 years old, have had a prong up behind Buddy's ears does not pull Buddy is my 93# Dobe.. If you know your dog is going to pull you towards a pole smartly turn quickly and walk the other way if your dog yelps so be it he was not paying attention to you. I would use gloves if need be with a leather leash and prong collar also when you use a prong collar you should always have a back up collar of the dog. I use a light weiiight nylon choke as a back up collar even have a prong micro size for my 14.6 # Dachshund I also use a backup collar on her too.Try NILF dog training you can Google it that will help go to a Obedience class where you go with your dog train for an hour once a week and do home work you need to be trained too in how to handle your dog. Ask at Kennel clubs,vets.groomers to find a dog class you can go to with your dog. I do not recommend taking your dog to a trainer where you do not stay with the dog. Good Luck training.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Have you tried the front-clipping harness, such as the Sense-ation Harness? and do a training thing of treats in right hand. He must touch his nose to your righthand finger for a treat as you are walking. You say touch and he looks to your right hand.
This works well if he is food-motivated. Use very small but high quality treats (maybe tiny pieces of boiled chicken breast).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
patches i had the dog trainer show me how to use the prong and it is up by his ears he shakes his head and it falls down a litke when i dont pull on it. and sometimes he doesnt care about that being around his neck it doesnt seem to bother him
audrey i found a arness online that helps with pulling i posted it on this site it looks like it might work and i was looking for some feedback

1 - 15 of 15 Posts