Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 19 month year old male doberman named bud. He is a huge part of our family but has became to much for us to handle. I've owned many dogs in the past but never a doberman(mostly labs and mixed breeds). We have gone though 2 6 week training courses where he excelled and train with him daily but he is still extremely protective/dog aggressive. He also growls and is afraid of children smaller than him but is GREAT with adults and even OK with strangers.
Beyond what i would call a higher level of protection/aggressiveness than what most dobes on this site seem to be, he tears apart any pillows and eats all articles of clothing he can find. We also have a female boxer that is older and he plays rough with her. The straw that finally broke the camels back is that he chewed a large hole through our 2 month old leather couch that is not even fully paid for. Also last weekend we were at the lake and he was napping when a labradoodle suprised him and he lurched mouth wide open and was stopped by his prong collar attached to my chair. It was very close.
Once again we love him with ALL OUR HEART and will be devastated if we have to let him go but we might be at that point. I live just outside of Sacramento in Northern California and would be willing to let him go only to the right proven family that we know he would have a wonderful life. I am willing to drive pretty much anywhere in California for the right family. He is 85 lbs, 27 inches at the withers, has a beautiful tall ear crop and is docked and has more energy and agility than any dog i have ever seen. Once again he is extremely loyal but he might need a owner who is able to give him more attention and land to roam. I am a firefighter and work a 72 hour shift and my wife works m-f 8-5 so he has a lot of time alone with our boxer.
We will not consider the pound because we love him but if any has any interest please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Do you crate him when you're not home?

I don't know if you'd give him another chance, but I'd recommend crating.

Do you have a breeder contract that states you must give him back? If not, I'd give him up to rescue. They can appropriately screen homes and they have a contract to keep an eye on him.

I'm sure someone will have a more helpful response.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We did not get him from a breeder but from sac bee classifieds. His mom was akc registered and the father was not but very nice looking with a aggressive temperment.

He was crate trained until about 8 months and we decided to keep him outside(we have a 1/4 acre) during work hours and he sleeps inside. we have a large crate but he whines and wimpers inside it.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
sorry you need to rehome him.

this seems to happen so often with young male doberman.

I hope he finds his forever home.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry you have to do this. I work those crazy shifts too. Crating might be an option but all day is a long time, I'm sure other members will chime in!

But, there is a rescue in Red Bluff, California, where I got my Gus. Its called Northern California Doberman Rescue and it's definitely closeby. I'll PM you

·
Registered
198 Posts
We did not get him from a breeder but from sac bee classifieds. His mom was akc registered and the father was not but very nice looking with a aggressive temperment.
His father was aggressive? Did you know this when you bought the pup? If you did, you should not be surprised that your boy is sharp. (Sharp = a bit unpredictable, can "snap" into aggression quickly) Find a dobe rescue that can properly place him with a family that will be able to handle his temperament.

For those reading this and wanting to get a pup that think some people here are a tad pushy about BYBs, this is why. A puppy from a reputable breeder would have parents that were health/temperament tested for soundness. OP, I'm not trying to pick on you, just using this instance as an example to back what we tell people! Good luck, and if you can manage, try to give this guy another chance with proper training!!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I live in Sac and I'm not going to get into the training issues with this dog (should never even had an opportunity to chew the couch, leaving the dog alone with the boxer) but I would also contact the dobe rescues FIRST. This dog clearly needs an owner with more time/experience

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too wont say much on this issue, but with more consistancy and a watchful eye these behaviors could be corrected it'll take work on your part and whoever lives in your home and maybe a private trainer, but thats if its extreme. As for the dog aggression is more common in the breed, but usually its geared toward more same sex(male/male) and is why proper socialization is critical in early life of a doberman I don't know if that can be corrected.. I see many dobie rescues mentioned above so definately check into them and see if they have space for him. Hopefully they do, if not check an all breed rescue as well they may not specialized soley in doberman's, but they too are picky about who gets their dogs. I think there is a doberman rescue in LA as well so maybe check that one out too on google?

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Hello,
I have a 19 month year old male doberman named bud. He is a huge part of our family but has became to much for us to handle. I've owned many dogs in the past but never a doberman(mostly labs and mixed breeds). We have gone though 2 6 week training courses where he excelled and train with him daily but he is still extremely protective/dog aggressive. He also growls and is afraid of children smaller than him but is GREAT with adults and even OK with strangers.
Beyond what i would call a higher level of protection/aggressiveness than what most dobes on this site seem to be, he tears apart any pillows and eats all articles of clothing he can find. We also have a female boxer that is older and he plays rough with her. The straw that finally broke the camels back is that he chewed a large hole through our 2 month old leather couch that is not even fully paid for. Also last weekend we were at the lake and he was napping when a labradoodle suprised him and he lurched mouth wide open and was stopped by his prong collar attached to my chair. It was very close.
Once again we love him with ALL OUR HEART and will be devastated if we have to let him go but we might be at that point. I live just outside of Sacramento in Northern California and would be willing to let him go only to the right proven family that we know he would have a wonderful life. I am willing to drive pretty much anywhere in California for the right family. He is 85 lbs, 27 inches at the withers, has a beautiful tall ear crop and is docked and has more energy and agility than any dog i have ever seen. Once again he is extremely loyal but he might need a owner who is able to give him more attention and land to roam. I am a firefighter and work a 72 hour shift and my wife works m-f 8-5 so he has a lot of time alone with our boxer.
We will not consider the pound because we love him but if any has any interest please let me know. Thanks
Have you had his thyroid tested and checked him for all tick borne diseases?

If not, do so first before you make a decision to give him up.

Please.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Is he DOG aggressive? My dog tore things up, too because of lack of exercise and boredom. I took her to doggie day care and she is no longer tearing up anything around the house. It sure is worth a try before you get rid of him!:rolleyesww:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Welcome to dog ownership :)

Sorry you started off rough, but TBH, I don't think you should give up so easily, dogs shouldn't be replaceable in my opinion.

What you described is actually typical dog behavior that can crop up, even more so if temperament in the genes are not so great.

To stop him destroying things, maybe set up a dog room for him, separate him and the boxer, without supervision you never know. Make sure the dog room is puppy proof.

Up his exercise, try swimming, jogging, hiking, enter into agility, schutzhund, or tracking.

Every time you step out the door to go for a walk, muzzle him. The last thing you want is him making contact with another dog.

Through careful exposure and behavior modification, you can lesson his reactivity towards other dogs. I suggest finding a great trainer that can take you through the steps.

It also wouldn't hurt to get a full work up done at the vets, to make sure everything is in check.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I agree with the others about the two rescues that are in your area. Unfortunately, too many people are giving up their Dobermans lately and they are pretty full. What you may have to do is work with them to rehome. They may not have a foster available for right now. Until then, perhaps go to a better trainer that can handle conflict resolution and/or aggression. There is a SchH club nearby. Maybe you should see if one of the trainers can help you out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would take him, that is if we can get him to Boston.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh goodness, first off thanks for all the reply's(even the snobby doberman one's :p), we crated him the last few days and everything is going great. He actually liked sleeping in his crate again and i'm building a nice dog run in the back that will have a big doghouse and all his favorite things. As for the dog aggression we will continue to work on it. He was socialized early and continuously, but wants to fight anything with four legs. day by day I guess.

I feel like a pregnant chick because i posted so emotionally, seeing a $3000 couch with a 9" tear in it sucks!

Once again thank you guys, I don't post much but read all the time. this place is great.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I'm glad things are getting better. I'd say besides just using a crate when you can't supervise him, he probably needs more activity and stimulation than what he's been getting. It's amazing what a PITA a bored pup/dog can be!

Just to clarify, you're not planning to move him outside permanently to the dog run you're building, are you?

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
oh goodness, first off thanks for all the reply's(even the snobby doberman one's :p), we crated him the last few days and everything is going great. He actually liked sleeping in his crate again and i'm building a nice dog run in the back that will have a big doghouse and all his favorite things. As for the dog aggression we will continue to work on it. He was socialized early and continuously, but wants to fight anything with four legs. day by day I guess.

I feel like a pregnant chick because i posted so emotionally, seeing a $3000 couch with a 9" tear in it sucks!

Once again thank you guys, I don't post much but read all the time. this place is great.
If you aren't already working with a professional trainer who is experienced in dogs that are reactive/aggressive to other dogs, I would highly recommend you get one. I'd be looking for someone who uses the "Control Unleashed" program.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts